Starting a canal boat “hotel”

BuckRodgers

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, The Dreamer said:

It’s not so much change of use, but that you would need planning consent for a residential mooring.

From the CRT guidance on static letting:

Planning permission

Residential or use of a mooring for accommodation usually needs planning permission. You should contact your local planning authority (LPA) at an early stage. They can tell you if planning permission is needed for your intended use and offer guidance on preparing your application, advice on what the application will cost and how long it will take to determine.

On the other hand, thee must be thousands of boaters living aboard on leisure moorings with no PP and not running into any trouble over it. 

Doing it to run a business to make a profit however, would strike me a pushing one's luck. 

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

On the other hand, thee must be thousands of boaters living aboard on leisure moorings with no PP and not running into any trouble over it. 

Doing it to run a business to make a profit however, would strike me a pushing one's luck. 

Indeed, although I would have thought that it would be the land owner, not the boater, who would get into trouble.  In the main this would impact marina owners, so you could argue that it is being done to run a business...

26 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Won't he need planning permission?

:giggles:

No, because he will enjoy living on a boat so much that he will get a desire to Go Boating and so won't be on his mooring permanently.

In fact he will like boating so much he will become a CC'er    and then decide to put a hotel boat on his mooring................:)

...................Dave

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

No, because he will enjoy living on a boat so much that he will get a desire to Go Boating and so won't be on his mooring permanently.

In fact he will like boating so much he will become a CC'er    and then decide to put a hotel boat on his mooring................:)

...................Dave

At which point, he will probably benefit from some help and advice from the good peeps of CWF......

:giggles:

16 minutes ago, dmr said:

...................Dave

He won't be moving far on the B & M!!

• 4 weeks later...

Georgina Wood
Business boating manager (South West)
The Dock Office
Commercial Road
Gloucester, GL1 2EB

Tel:  03030 404040
Mobile:  07833 403145
Email:  georgina.wood@canalrivertrust.org.uk

Georgina covers Wales & South West (incl Kennet & Avon canal), Droitwich Canal, Worcester & Birmingham & the Oxford Canal. 

First thing to do is contact this person and discuss your plans.

On 15/11/2019 at 16:21, Tonka said:

No property backing on to CRT water has automatic rights

That is not correct. There are a lot of properties backing onto former BW water which have mooring rights. I used one on the lower GU regularly, and moored for several years on one on the Upper Grand Union. Furthermore I did not have to pay end of garden fees either.

Edited by David Schweizer

18 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

That is not correct. There are a lot of properties backing onto former BW water which have mooring rights. I used one on the lower GU regularly, and moored for several years on one on the Upper Grand Union. Furthermore I did not have to pay end of garden fees either.

I went to buy a house in the Apsley area that had a boat moored in the garden and the house was being sold with automatic mooring rights. I asked BW as it was then and they themselves told me that no house comes with automatic rights and you have to re-apply and in fact the house I was referring to shouldn't have a boat moored on the garden and they would be throwing it off. Needless to say I did not proceed with the purchase. Perhaps some BW house's had automatic rights but only for the workers ?

21 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I went to buy a house in the Apsley area that had a boat moored in the garden and the house was being sold with automatic mooring rights. I asked BW as it was then and they themselves told me that no house comes with automatic rights and you have to re-apply and in fact the house I was referring to shouldn't have a boat moored on the garden and they would be throwing it off. Needless to say I did not proceed with the purchase. Perhaps some BW house's had automatic rights but only for the workers ?

Your first mistake was believing what CRT told you. 

46 minutes ago, Tonka said:

This issue was discussed recently where i made the following observations:-

On 03/12/2019 at 12:05, Alan de Enfield said:

C&RT do state that EoG mooring rights are not transferable so would need to reapply and hope they don't invoke the 'mooring restrictions' plans.

That is C&RT's (and the old BW's) default position, but it has been successfully challenged on numerous occassions.  If the Mooring rights are incorporated into the deeds of the property they are transfrerable to a new owner. I have moored on two sites in the past where that has been the case, and because it is a legal provision rather than an agreed consent, C&RT cannot even charge EOG mooring fees.

23 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

That is C&RT's (and the old BW's) default position, but it has been successfully challenged on numerous occassions.  If the Mooring rights are incorporated into the deeds of the property they are transfrerable to a new owner. I have moored on two sites in the past where that has been the case, and because it is a legal provision rather than an agreed consent, C&RT cannot even charge EOG mooring fees.

Absolutely - if it is in the deeds of the house, or old 'laws' then they cannot refuse, however, my understanding is that if they have 'granted' an EoG mooring to a property that has no legal right to have one then they can / will invoke the 'non-transferable' clause.

Dora was not telling you that you don't need a licence Tonka, merely that it would be prudent to check independently. As far as end-of-garden moorings are concerned the default position of BW and now CRT has always been that they are only allowed by arrangement with and payment to CRT. This is incorrect in law, and there are plenty of examples where EoG moorings exist with no requirement for payment.

For BuckRogers: I'd avoid use of the term "hotel" like the plague - it implies something much more grand than I'm sure you have in mind. If you do have to talk to CRT I'd suggest simply refering to an End-of-Garden mooring, and whether or not it is residential has nothing to do with them. I'm not sure if you'd get away with a simple cruising licence, albeit the craft may never move, but you'd need to look at the various safety requirements and insurance for 'paying guests'.

The 'residential' element will probably be relevant in talks with the Park authority and more so with the local Planning Department as you may need planning consent, but I'd still play it down as being B&B and plug the tourism aspect. HMRC will poke their nose in too of course.

Tam

•  

On 11/12/2019 at 14:20, Tam & Di said:

I'm not sure if you'd get away with a simple cruising licence, albeit the craft may never move, but you'd need to look at the various safety requirements and insurance for 'paying guests'.

There is a specific business licence for static boat rentals, which is exactly what is being described.  Commercial BSS certificate and insurance are required to get it.

Talking to someone who lives just outside Brecon earlier today who has advertised a room on AirBnB, and they have been contacted by BBNP asking for details of their Planning Consent. It would appear that BBNP are being pro-active in chasing up these sorts of things!