Eberspacher leak!

Mark Hilton

Featured Posts

Ok folks. Posted on here last night about a similar topic i.e. the eberspacher but that was electrics and that bit is sorted(until I get it to the boat at least). I've serviced it and the only seal that i didn't change was the big one between the burner chamber and water jacket. (My description). I thought it would be asking for trouble and now I'm thinking I should have taken the trouble. The good news is it's in my shed set up and works. Can anyone tell me what this "tell-tale" hole is for? 

20191115_085709.jpg

Mark, no idea what the little hole is but it is shown on the workshop manual:

https://www.butlertechnik.com/downloads/Eberspacher_Heater_Hydronic_B4WSC_D5WSC_Workshop_manual.pdf

You could ask these folks: https://www.carwood.co.uk/contact.html

It is where we take our D5WSC to get it serviced.

Interestingly enough our system lost water before I had the unit serviced in September, I am beginning to wonder if the fluid came out of that little hole?

Edited by Ray T

Well it is water from a bucket as I set it up on a jig in the shed. Having said that , I took it apart and found the problem.  I wondered why those 3 screws werel eft over...not really I have markzheimers.  They were the screws for the  water pump. Oops.  

• Haha 2

Ok folks. Thanks for your help. They do say I have Markzheimers. I assumed that the 3 screws in the bucket were from somewhere else. It is typical of me to take sensible precautions....and then forget what precautions I'd taken. Those precautions were to put all screws, bolts, seals and anything else in a certain place. The water pump leaked into the chamber above the metal housing between the burner and water interface. It came out of the hole as seen. 

I've now fitted it and tested it. It works great. Hot water for the 1st time since buying the boat. I'm t gave me a lot of confidence knowing that with your help it can be done. 

• Happy 1

All I have to do now is tear up the floor, fit a towel rail in the bathroom so it doesn't cycle on and off too frequently, change a leaking 22mm pipe/joint. I'll then fit a new fuel pipe to the fuel tank, drain it all down and put inhibitor/antifreeze in it.....all a 5 minute job.