Wellbeing in Worksop....CRT in trouble

matty40s

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, MHS said:

The residents of Fishlake and parts of Doncaster are suffering badly and one of the criticisms is that with better flood defences protecting parts of Sheffield, they got it worse.

That's what a resident of Fishlake said on the radio this morning.

I know it was over 200 years ago but the Don from Doncaster down is a man made channel. It used to drain into the Trent but now drains into the Ouse. The channel is fairly narrow for a major river.

Do we know how those boats that moor on the canal at Doncaster, Strawberry Island, Bramwith, etc have fared?

as usual the discussion will centre on additional funding, and the responsibility of the current prime minister for what has happened and the response from Westminster.

isn't it about time that we dropped this carp and addressed the real issues:  climate change, poor town planning, unrealistic expectations from folk who (in most cases chose to) live in low-lying areas close to rivers which will and do burst their banks occasionally.  (a village called Fishlake - you couldn't make it up). 

it would seem that the only folk who really understand the risk of flooding, and who quite rightly take great care to protect their interests, are the insurance companies  .....   a pity the authorities are not equally as concerned before the event happens.

Edited by Murflynn
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

a village called Fishlake - you couldn't make it up

Much of the local flooding (around us) affects a recent new 'estate' on what was (and still is) called 'Meadow-Brook'

A lovely babbling-brook running across the meadows with the land acting as a flood-plane in times of excess water.

15 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

as usual the discussion will centre on additional funding, and the responsibility of the current prime minister for what has happened and the response from Westminster.

isn't it about time that we dropped this carp and addressed the real issues:  climate change, poor town planning, unrealistic expectations from folk who (in most cases chose to) live in low-lying areas close to rivers which will and do burst their banks occasionally.  (a village called Fishlake - you couldn't make it up). 

it would seem that the only folk who really understand the risk of flooding, and who quite rightly take great care to protect their interests, are the insurance companies  .....   a pity the authorities are not equally as concerned before the event happens.

After the last lot of flooding the Water Act 2014 included provision for Unitary and County Councils to become Sustainable Drainage Approval Boards for all new developments of 10 houses or more. Lobbying by the big developers persuaded the Secretary of State that these were just "red tape" and they were never established, except in devoluted Wales where they work very well.

Result: the maintenance of surface water drainage on new estates, including the roads, is solely in the hands of the developers as, with no Approval Board and the local water companies "declining" the responsibility there is nobody else to carry the can. Remember maintenance is for the life of the estate, a bit longer than the life of some developers!

A local estate of 40 odd affordable houses has stood empty for over two years with surface water drainage problems because there was no Approval Board.

25 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Having given it a bit more thought - are the sluices being discussed those that let water INTO the canal near the Ryton Aqueduct? 

I was about to ask a similar question - where exactly is this sluice? As I have looked at the aerial view and not found it easy to see what might have 'saved' the caravan park.

On the Rochdale through the Calder Valley the local flood wardens have taken things into their own hands and at the first warnings of flooding will raise the bottom paddles on the locks. I don't know if CRT had any part in recommending this strategy, but it makes sense for suitable locals to do this rather than trying to phone CRT,

A while ago we got stuck at a broken swing bridge on the L&L between Burscough and Liverpool (the battery one that breaks frequently), and when phoning CRT they insisted that we didn't know where we where and that we we on the Lancaster canal.

........Dave

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

On the Rochdale through the Calder Valley the local flood wardens have taken things into their own hands and at the first warnings of flooding will raise the bottom paddles on the locks. I don't know if CRT had any part in recommending this strategy, but it makes sense for suitable locals to do this rather than trying to phone CRT,

Some well intentioned soul did this on the Chesterfield last week, on the isolated length near Chesterfield - but the top gate was open. Come the morning the canal above the lock was the driest land for miles around... 

On the Rochdale the locks weir through the chamber, so making sure they're empty and water can get away is a sensible precaution, the main thing this  prevents (on a canal at least) is flooding local to the lock

To give an idea of the conditions, the picture below is a weir on the Rother near Staveley,  taken Wednesday this week. This is not the length near Worksop nor the same river, but it's not far away and downstream of here in Rotherham there were major floods.

The flow was still fierce and somewhat alarming to observe, however a week earlier the river had been over the footbridge and the adjacent canal was carrying far more water than was sensible. 

Opening a sluice into the canal would have had little impact and would have burst the canal banks. 

Water, water everywhere, as Coleridge once said.

20191113_115216.jpg

9 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Out of interest, how much more tax would you be happy to pay to provide decent housing to the thousands if not millions of deserving cases?  

Just allow councils to build new council houses with the profit from selling existing ones. Or to borrow to fund them. 

• Greenie 3

5 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Just allow councils to build new council houses with the profit from selling existing ones. Or to borrow to fund them. 

They have sold most of the council owned houses, if we borrow to fund them, the money borrowed plus interest has to be paid back, I don’t see how councils can build significantly cheaper than builders, so the rents would not be affordable by most that need housing, so they would have to be subsidised by the tax payer, which I accept, however, how much more tax would you be willing to pay??

Edited by Chewbacka

I'm sorry I haven't read every post.

Why are C&RT being blamed for flooding in Worsop ? 

Is it not  the Environment Agency who are in charge of flood defence with support from the Lead  Local Flood authority (usually the district or borough council)   and therefore in charge of flood gates ?

5 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

They have sold most of the council owned houses, if we borrow to fund them, the money borrowed plus interest has to be paid back, I don’t see how councils can build significantly cheaper than builders, so the rents would not be affordable by most that need housing, so they would have to be subsidised by the tax payer, which I accept, however, how much more tax would you be willing to pay??

If we didn't give wealthy pensioners like me bus passes, winter fuel allowances, and other bribes to vote conservative we might be able to solve the growing homelessness problem and become a first world country again.

2 minutes ago, PaulD said:

If we didn't give wealthy pensioners like me bus passes, winter fuel allowances, and other bribes to vote conservative we might be able to solve the growing homelessness problem and become a first world country again.

But if such people did not receive these passes and allowances, some of them would be considerably less wealthy.

Were these things withdrawn when a Labour government was in power?