'Conservatory' pram covers - do they exist?

Featured Posts

Looking, in a mostly hypothetical way, at semi-trad pram covers I was wondering why the 'roof' parts of them don't seem to be made of the 'window' material very much... they are basically boat conservatories, (no?), so wasn't sure why you'd want to be blocking out that much light given how easy they are to ventilate?

We've got a pram cover over our cruiser stern and it makes a big difference for storing stuff and drying undies and other wet things. Especially useful in the winter. We never sit under it with it up so there's no real difference if the top is 'solid' ....and it's cheaper that way.

I don't kno for sure - but have a smeaking suspicion that the tranparent / translucent material has litte / less mechanical strength.

If you look at a pram hood the windows in it are well supported by the surrounding waterproof material??

• Greenie 1

When I used to do a lot of tramping around I noticed that whatever sized backpack I had, it was always stuffed full. So I ended up travelling with what most people considered a 'day pack' (it was technically a climbing pack without pockets and such).

It seems to be the same with suitcases. Whatever size you decide to head off with, wherever you go it will always be stuffed full. So might as well go with a cabin-sized flight bag (or day pack!).

So, if you have a pram cover or cratch (I have generally noticed) it will be full of whatever stuff doesn't fit nicely inside. Plus wet boots and drying undies. No pram/cratch = Less stuff. And lots more room to sit out on your deck in the sun aimlessly watching the swollen river flow by and sipping cloudy cider. 

... But I very much like the idea of a conservatory over the front or back deck for idling in all weathers!

54 minutes ago, Jim Batty said:

... But I very much like the idea of a conservatory over the front or back deck for idling in all weathers!

I effectively use Juno's pram cover that way, but she is a proper cruiser, with a windscreen, so with a window each side and one in the rear it is rather like a conservatory. The sides and rear lift as well, which is nice in most weathers and easier than bringing the canopy down. 

15 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

We've got a pram cover over our cruiser stern and it makes a big difference for storing stuff and drying undies and other wet things. Especially useful in the winter. We never sit under it with it up so there's no real difference if the top is 'solid' ....and it's cheaper that way.

If you had saved up and bought the rest of the boat instead of that piddly little 63 footer,  you could have a designated laundry and drying area without needing to go outside or have a greenhouse on the back ?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

If you had saved up and bought the rest of the boat instead of that piddly little 63 footer,  you could have a designated laundry and drying area without needing to go outside or have a greenhouse on the back ?

Nah, if the bote was longer, the ecofan wouldnt get the air down the bottom end.?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Looking, in a mostly hypothetical way, at semi-trad pram covers I was wondering why the 'roof' parts of them don't seem to be made of the 'window' material very much... they are basically boat conservatories, (no?), so wasn't sure why you'd want to be blocking out that much light given how easy they are to ventilate?

I asked for transparent panels on all faces of mine as it's basically a greenhouse, but was told by the manufacturer that they don't advise clear roofs because the material distorts out of shape with exposure to the elements more quickly than the regular vinyl does. So I opted for clear windows on the vertical surfaces and kept the roof panel vinyl. It is a bit dark for some plants but the semi shade loving ones do okay. 

Edited by BlueStringPudding

For the sake of balance, during an election period, if we are going to be talking about conservatory pram covers, we should also mention lavatory pram covers and live aboard demi-cratch covers too.

Edited by The Dreamer
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, BlueStringPudding said:

I asked for transparent panels on all faces of mine as it's basically a greenhouse, but was told by the manufacturer that they don't advise clear roofs because the material distorts out of shape with exposure to the elements more quickly than the regular vinyl does. So I opted for clear windows on the vertical surfaces and kept the roof panel vinyl. It is a bit dark for some plants but the semi shade loving ones do okay. 

The heat from the engine bay is useful for our plants.?

Actually this thread has just reminded me of one of the funny radio shows on Radio 4, 25 or 30 years ago.

There was (allegedly!) a chap wrote in to say he was worried that his neighbours were growing cannabis on their windowsill in the flats, but when he challenged them, they claimed it was cabbage.

The "advice" given was that he should go round to their flat and spend an evening smoking the leaves with the neighbours ... and if he was still worried, it was definitely cabbage!

• Haha 3