Moorings in South Coast, UK

NarrowSam

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread :)

I'm trying to help my Mum find a mooring in the South Coast of the UK, in or a near to Portsmouth as possible (something suitable for a wide-beam narrowboat. I wondered if anyone here knows of a directory, or something similar to find moorings?

Thanks again,
Sam

9 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

Few Marinas along the River Hamble, Two stations (Hamble, Bursledon) nearby with hourly services to Portsmouth and close to the M27.

There used to be a widebeam moored on the Hamble that you could see as you passed over the river on the M27. Had gone when we came over on Tuesday. Perhaps got fed up of sitting on the mud.

50 minutes ago, pearley said:

There used to be a widebeam moored on the Hamble that you could see as you passed over the river on the M27. Had gone when we came over on Tuesday. Perhaps got fed up of sitting on the mud.

I think it was narrow. Been gone for a while now. I would be looking at Gosport and Fareham, possibly Langston.

12 hours ago, NarrowSam said:

Hi All,

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread :)

I'm trying to help my Mum find a mooring in the South Coast of the UK, in or a near to Portsmouth as possible (something suitable for a wide-beam narrowboat. I wondered if anyone here knows of a directory, or something similar to find moorings?

Thanks again,
Sam

Off at a tangent - and - maybe something she already knows, but :

Change the fresh water anodes (Magnesium) to Sea-Water anodes (Zincs) before putting it in any salty water.

In sea water Mag anodes will erode within a matter of days / weeks leaving the boat unprotected.

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Off at a tangent - and - maybe something she already knows, but :

Change the fresh water anodes (Magnesium) to Sea-Water anodes (Zincs) before putting it in any salty water.

In sea water Mag anodes will erode within a matter of days / weeks leaving the boat unprotected.

Good point. I was going to mention this but didn't which anodes did what.

The boat you could see from the bridge was a wide beam. 

13 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Good point. I was going to mention this but didn't which anodes did what.

The boat you could see from the bridge was a wide beam. 

Magnesium anodes = Fresh water

Zinc anodes = Saltwater
Aluminium anode = Salt/brackish

A Wooden anode is what Noah used Before Corrosion (BC). Not to be used  Anode Domini (AD)

1 hour ago, Sir Nibble said:

I think it was narrow. Been gone for a while now. I would be looking at Gosport and Fareham, possibly Langston.

Not very clear but it is / was the purple boat middle back of picture.

I  believe it was used as office space.

DSCF6062a.jpg

Edited by Ray T
ETA past link

Now that the Navy has rather less ships than it once did, I wonder if they have some spare berths in Portsmouth Dockyard (extremely close to Portsmouth!) that they don't use? And whether the MoD has the authority to rent them out to supplement the defence budget? It might make sense, so long as NarrowSam's mum is not a potential threat to national security.

Perhaps try sending a carefully worded letter setting out this argument (I claim no copyright on the idea, and hereby put it in the public domain) to:

The First Sea Lord

Admiralty Arch

Trafalgar Square

London SW1

The postman won't need the full postcode or other alternatives like what3words, it's a very famous address.

32 minutes ago, Peter X said:

The First Sea Lord

Admiralty Arch

Trafalgar Square

London SW1

Wouldnt recommend that, 1SL hasnt been at Admiralty Arch since 2011...its currently being turned into a hotel!    

The chap with all the braid now resides over the road at the MOD building

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Only £3500pa for a mooring in the centre of a major city - cheaper than a flat.

Portsmouth Rentals :

1 bedroom flat £750pcm

Terraced house £1500-£2500pcm

Those rentals do come with a building, not just a space for you to bring your own flat or terraced house.  Methinks the moorings would be a touch  dearer if they also provided the boat! ;)

Thanks Dharl, my information was out of date, based on what my father told me when he was a junior MoD civil servant working in Admiralty Arch in the 1960s. He'd had a peek inside the first Sea Lord's office and was well impressed by it. Hopefully the government is making lots of money out of that hotel, it being a building steeped in history in such a prime location!

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

err   .....   wot I said   #9

Not quite, but thinking along the same lines.

3 minutes ago, Peter X said:

it being a building steeped in history in such a prime location!

Absolutely: Winston Churchill once had that office. I am not sure if he and Mrs. Churchill also lived there prior to their move to 10, Downing Street in May 1940.

I am currently based ashore and my office is based around the courner and I walked past it down to the Cenotaph on Monday for Armistice Day.   Currently a building site covered in scafolding. 

Edited by Dharl

12 minutes ago, Athy said:

Absolutely: Winston Churchill once had that office. I am not sure if he and Mrs. Churchill also lived there prior to their move to 10, Downing Street in May 1940.

Churchill held the office of First Lord of the Admiralty, a political (and hence civilian) role, as opposed to First Sea Lord which is a Service position. I don't know whether the physical office in Admiralty Arch ever changed hands.

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Churchill held the office of First Lord of the Admiralty, a political (and hence civilian) role, as opposed to First Sea Lord which is a Service position. I don't know whether the physical office in Admiralty Arch ever changed hands.

Sorry, I meant "office" as in "work space" rather than "job".