Eberspacher- How to bypass the timer

Mark Hilton

Featured Posts

We bought our boat around a year ago. Been doing it up and am now trying to get the Eberspacher to work. I've taken it off the boat and mounted it onto a piece of plywood after de-coking it and servicing it. I wanted to give it a test on the bench in the warm shed with the wood burner on instead of the freezing cold engine bay on the water with very restricted room. I've set the timer so it shows the right time, set the heating time for 60 minutes. I've set the preset time. The preset time has been reached but nothing has happened....at all!  I've tried pressing key 4 to switch it on. I've tried pressing key 3& kept it pressed then pressed key 4-this should, according to the instructions switch it to continuous operation. At no point does the Heater symbol come on at all. Any ideas? Can I somehow bypass the timer by connecting other wires together? 

Thank you. I set it up last night and wired it up with a switch between 12v +ve and yellow wire so I could switch it off. 1st time it was running for a few seconds then turning off.  I think it was a voltage drop so put the charger onto the battery. It read 13.4v at the battery and then I switched it on. It was still only reading 10.6 v at the switch but as you know this is enough. It tried to run.....lots of white smoke eventually on the 2nd go it ran. ....fantastic! So there are 2 small issues:

1) Do I buy a new timer or am I just not using it right?;

2) Do I need to worry about the voltage drop?:

I think perhaps a new timer might be in order and it sounds like the GSM gate opener is a brilliant idea! It will be like phoning Jeeves to put the heating on before we arrive. The missis would be well impressed with me. She did actually compare me to "Doc" from back to the future when she came down to the shed at 10pm to see the window open, the sound of a jet engine and white smoke coming out of the shed. 

27 minutes ago, Mark Hilton said:

Thank you. I set it up last night and wired it up with a switch between 12v +ve and yellow wire so I could switch it off. 1st time it was running for a few seconds then turning off.  I think it was a voltage drop so put the charger onto the battery. It read 13.4v at the battery and then I switched it on. It was still only reading 10.6 v at the switch but as you know this is enough. It tried to run.....lots of white smoke eventually on the 2nd go it ran. ....fantastic! So there are 2 small issues:

I think perhaps a new timer might be in order and it sounds like the GSM gate opener is a brilliant idea! It will be like phoning Jeeves to put the heating on before we arrive. The missis would be well impressed with me. She did actually compare me to "Doc" from back to the future when she came down to the shed at 10pm to see the window open, the sound of a jet engine and white smoke coming out of the shed. 

Whatever you do DO NOT let your boat exceed 88mph... ?

Thanks for that. Something to think about after I've got it working on the boat. Meanwhile another problem has arisen. Just started it up and there was a load of water coming from a tell tale hole which I presume is there for the very purpose of telling you that there's a seal gone. Which seal has gone. I'll put a picture up. 20191115_085709.jpg.5897b1749a5a5d8967a9541977eb885d.jpg

Ok folks. Thanks for your help. They do say I have Markzheimers. I assumed that the 3 screws in the bucket were from somewhere else. It is typical of me to take sensible precautions....and then forget what precautions I'd taken. Those precautions were to put all screws, bolts, seals and anything else in a certain place. The water pumpleaked into the chamber above the metal housing between the burner and water interface. It came out of the hole as seen. 

I've now fitted it and tested it. It works great. Hot water for the 1st time since buying the boat. I'm t gave me a lot of confidence knowing that with your help it can be done. 

I'll need to get the GSM gate opener too. 

On 15/11/2019 at 08:16, Mark Hilton said:

You DO have to worry about a voltage drop!   Some time ago the company produced a technical report on some of the problems with boat installations, seeing that thousands of the units [and Airtronics] are in use across the world in trucks, SUV's and trains

Eberspacher Boat Report_001.png

Eberspacher Boat Report_003.png

Eberspacher Boat Report_004.png

Eberspacher Boat Report_005.png

Eberspacher Boat Report_006.png

Eberspacher Boat Report_007.png

Eberspacher Boat Report_008.png

Eberspacher Boat Report_009.png