BMC engine vs River Severn!

lulaperula

Featured Posts

18 hours ago, Richard Fairhurst said:

If the Severn is on the cusp between amber and red then I would be wary of doing Upton-Diglis. We did it a couple of years ago and wouldn't repeat the experience, though our engine is smaller than yours (3-cyl 1.0l Beta). A few things to note:

- There is nowhere to moor, unless you squat on the boat clubs at Kempsey and the bypass bridge. So once you get going, you're committed.

- If the wind is up then you can get significant breakers around Clevelode, which is a pretty uncomfortable experience.

- We found the current really increased around the Worcester Bypass bridge. We were at full throttle and making less than 1mph over land. 

Once it's comfortably in the amber you'll be fine.

I've recently found an automated Twitter feed of the level at Diglis which is really useful: https://twitter.com/riverlevel_0039

Richard (another Diglis moorer!)

Really helpful information thank you. I am not hopeful of moving in next.couple.of days, I'll be delighted if it's before Christmas! My priority is obviously safety and arriving in one piece! Look forward to hopefully meeting you soon!

On 14/11/2019 at 18:32, The Dreamer said:

Look forward to welcoming you when you finally get here!

Thank you. You too! Hope it's not too long to go!

9 hours ago, Rob-M said:

What about the sluice above Avon Lock, opposite Tewkesbury Marina, that discharges the Avon in to the Severn below Avon lock so above Upper Lode.

There are no sluices on the Severn - any sluice on a tributary potentially affects the Severn no matter how far upstream it is, if a sluice opens in Evesham the extra water ends up in the Severn, it's only a question of how long it takes.

This debate on sluices started with a comparison with Holme Lock on the Trent, where sluices mean the river upstream gets faster rather than higher in flood conditions (that's a huge simplification but you get my drift). There is no comparable situation on the Severn, it is a single stream controlled only by barrage weirs

Edited by magpie patrick

12 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

There is one other good temporary mooring, albeit not all that far above Upton,  at the old jetty a mile above Severn Stoke on the East bank. It's useful if you set off and decide not to proceed because of the current, especially as it's on the outside of a bend so the current pushes you sideways into the mooring. It has good road access too. We have often stopped there.

Oh, that's interesting - thanks. Never noticed that one: I'll keep an eye out next time we pass.

18 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

There is one other good temporary mooring, albeit not all that far above Upton,  at the old jetty a mile above Severn Stoke on the East bank.

I presume you mean at the end of Ham Lane?  Is this actually a mooring?  It isn’t marked on any of my maps, or the CRT facilities website, as such.  Given that the river doesn’t have a towpath, I have always assumed that it’s private land...

Yes indeed, that's the one. No it isn't marked on any of the maps as being a mooring, but nonetheless it serves perfectly well as a temporary mooring. Ham Lane is a public road, and there is no trace of any fence between the wharf and the road unlike the private fields on either side. I have always assumed that the lane and the wharf were originally there to serve each other. Nowadays it is normally only ever used by the occasional fisherman, and being 70ft long and piled with steel rails to tie to (loosely when the river is rising or falling, of course) it is particularly useful. I just hope that  having mentioned it on here  it doesn't become permanently busy from now on.

Allan,
I presume you are talking about Ham Lane (no plural) from Severn Stoke? On the east side of the river?
My recollection is that something was put in for possible gravel extraction there, but it seems to be a large parking area now.

The old gravel loading jetty is just north of Quay Lane, Hanley Castle, but on the opposite bank. (Google Streetview shows a NB coming down stream!)

From Google Streetview there does appear the be some sort of construction that might allow mooring at The Riverside Caravan Park, just below Clevelode.

And of course there is Seabourne Leisure at Kempsey, but I bet they charge.

I think that's the right place,on the East side of the river just downstream of the big gentle bend. I've only ever approached it by boat but I know there's a lane there so I can't imagine where else it could be. It's not showing on Google Maps - I'm not surprised, it's under the trees - but it's definitely there. Not much to see, just a short section of ancient piling, but as I say it's a useful temporary mooring place.

• Greenie 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Please delete the link from your quote Brian!

I'm sure we have talked about this before ...

I spoilt it but have been back and removed it

Edited by ditchcrawler
  • Greenie 1