Basingstoke

Mike Todd

Featured Posts

Just about beginning to think about where we might venture next year! Can anyone say when it is optimum to try to visit the Basingstoke, in terms of avoiding seasons when it is more likely to be unavailable?

Edited by Mike Todd

The Basy is lovely. Spring would be best I think - more water, and fewer leaves around the prop. The first part up to Woking is like boating through porridge in some pounds, but the reward is the upper section. Mytchett and above is the best part, with only one lock, one manual bridge and one electric bridge in 15 miles. 

Last time we were there the ranger set all the locks for us, and let us leave locks full with exit gates open - very easy. (They caulk the gates after passage to prevent water loss.) We did it in a week, but two weeks would be really nice. 

22 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Just about beginning to think about where we might venture next year! Can anyone say when it is optimum to try to visit the Basingstoke, in terms of avoiding seasons when it is more likely to be unavailable?

The Basingstoke has always had water issues, hence why it was never commercially viable.  Clearly early in the season is likely to be better, but I would never count on it.  Also worth noting, that the always close the lower section, so the last thing you would want is to get stuck on it.  All that said, we are looking to attempt it next year too.  Thanks to my father in law, and use of his boat, it was where we cut our cruising teeth!

1 hour ago, The Dreamer said:

Also worth noting, that the always close the lower section, so the last thing you would want is to get stuck on it.

Apart from drastic unexpected water loss, they are able to give sufficient notice to allow visiting boats to leave. They monitor water levels diligently, and with the experience they have are able to predict (fairly accurately and with several days' notice) the day on which - in the absence of significant rain - they will have to close the Deepcut and Brookwood flights. (The Woodham flight has back-pumping, possibly the St John's flight too.)

When you get to the end of canal, get on the floor and look under the little bridge feeding clear water into the canal - a chalk stream ala--- River Whitewater.

In each of the 4 little tunnels, will be a fat trout just inside.

I'd bet a fiver on it.

Edited by mark99

18 minutes ago, mark99 said:

When you get to the end of canal, get on the floor and look under the little bridge feeding clear water into the canal - a chalk stream ala--- River Whitewater.

In each of the 4 little tunnels, will be a fat trout just inside.

I'd bet a fiver on it.

Sorry but the Whitewater doesn't feed the canal - it never has done and I doubt it ever will - it would be wonderful if it did and it would resolve all the Basingstoke water supply issues but there is no possibility of extraction of water there. It is always full of trout though......

13 hours ago, Leo No2 said:

Sorry but the Whitewater doesn't feed the canal - it never has done and I doubt it ever will - it would be wonderful if it did and it would resolve all the Basingstoke water supply issues but there is no possibility of extraction of water there. It is always full of trout though......

Thanks.  You are right. It is culverted under the Basingstoke at the Castle in that location  but the trout will be there!

The Basingstoke is a delight and you will struggle to find a nicer flight of locks than Deepcut. As others have said it it probably best done earlier in the season. Spent a day or on it in July this year and it was being closed behind us through water shortages. A few pictures:

https://www.facebook.com/tim.lewis.3950178/media_set?set=a.10156228337037341&type=3

Edited by Tim Lewis