Lincolnshire Police. What3words

Clodi

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

One of the down sids is the similarity of words, where they use singular and plural, add or miss that last "s" and your miles out. https://what3words.com/daring.lions.race  https://what3words.com/daring.lion.race

Agreed. But usually a wrong word, or an added or missed "s" gives a position so far away that it can't possibly be right. I experimented a little with a couple of nearby locations, trying similar sounding words, and didn't get any hits in the UK. Not to say there aren't a few, though :cheers:

2 hours ago, Iain_S said:

Agreed. But usually a wrong word, or an added or missed "s" gives a position so far away that it can't possibly be right. I experimented a little with a couple of nearby locations, trying similar sounding words, and didn't get any hits in the UK. Not to say there aren't a few, though :cheers:

That's very true but have you considered how many combinations you would need to go through to find it. I think its a good idea, but I feel there are a few shortcomings 

They must have given some thought to prevent unfortunate word combinations but some get through. Here are some genuine ones (I've just checked):

back.passage.good   Near the Vatican 

large.trouser.snake   Latvia 

beats.member.daily   Long Island 

huge.chest.bumps   Texas 

swollen.member.blown   Kazakhstan 

daisy.serves.lines   Drug rehab unit of a hospital. 

2 hours ago, stegra said:

They must have given some thought to prevent unfortunate word combinations but some get through. Here are some genuine ones (I've just checked):

back.passage.good   Near the Vatican 

large.trouser.snake   Latvia 

beats.member.daily   Long Island 

huge.chest.bumps   Texas 

swollen.member.blown   Kazakhstan 

daisy.serves.lines   Drug rehab unit of a hospital. 

I havent got the app, so where is

///friday.fish.jokes

?

And you might also like:

https://what3words.com/lithium.batteries.article off the Chilean coast

or

https://what3words.com/lithium.batteries.tripe off South Georgia & South Sandwich Islands

No, we have a winner!

https://what3words.com/doctor.bobs.boat

Edited by TheBiscuits
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

So its in New Mexico! Way to go!!!

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

https://what3words.com/lithium.batteries.tripe off South Georgia & South Sandwich Islands

I alway knew the south sandwich islands weren't worth going to.

How about

////heard.fish.tank?

Edited by Dr Bob

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

It's where the Canadians come from, eh?

Canadia Two is the sequel ...

Well that's all very well, but more to the point is where are

///photo.duck.noodles?

I thought they were on their way here but they seem to be in eastern Siberia.

5 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Well that's all very well, but more to the point is where are

///photo.duck.noodles?

I thought they were on their way here but they seem to be in eastern Siberia.

You have had the photos ... it's the duck.noodles you haven't collected that have been past your boat on several occasions!

I'm going to have to appeal to the wider forum aren't I?

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Good mapping but doesn't seem to be able to automatically find your position.

The 4th icon along - the one which looks vaguely like a compass - is supposed to locate you but, at least on my phone, doesn’t seem to work. 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

The 4th icon along - the one which looks vaguely like a compass - is supposed to locate you but, at least on my phone, doesn’t seem to work. 

Yes using that icon does give you a position, but only one where you put the cross on the map. So as I said you have to know where you are to give a position. It will not "find" you by any means.

• 2 weeks later...

An article in the Times yesterday ,..... 

The head of mountain rescue volunteers in the Lake District has told hikers not to rely on What3words, a mapping app used by more than eight out of ten emergency services and the AA.

The app has divided the world into 3m squares and given each one a unique three-word address that can be given to rescuers to help find people in trouble. It is used by Cumbria police, which has called it a brilliant app and a life-saver.

However, Richard Warren, chairman of the Lake District Search and Mountain Rescue Association, said: “What3words is an ingenious system, but we do not rely on it. The first resort should always be a map and compass to try to navigate your own way out of trouble. Then a call to 999 and stay put.

“A couple of days ago Wasdale [Mountain Rescue] was called to an incident and was 100 metres adrift. That may not sound much but in blizzards it can be crucial. On November 20 Wasdale was called to a group lost on the Scafell range and the What3words location was three or four miles away.”

He said that mishearing or misspelling words tended to cause problems.

What3words said that the app was not intended as a replacement for learnt navigation skills, and added: “We are another location tool that can be useful when existing methods may not be known, preferable or practical.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy
  • Greenie 1