Lincolnshire Police. What3words

Clodi

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Murflynn said:

so if I've broken my ankle while walking on the fells I don't need W3W.   I'll just give them my postcode shall I?

Erm, how would you know your postcode? If you were walking, I'd assume you'd know your lat long, so I'd use that personally. Or plus code, or any of the other free location services. I'd also text the location to make sure that any poor signal doesn't get missed. 

In addition there are apps which have 'buddy beacons' or things like this.

Don't use a post code.

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

A plus code (OLC) is also available, along with Lat and Long, and an offline visual display on the Osmand apptoo, though it does take up quite a bit of phone memory.

There's also this on android, wonder if there's an iOS thing too

https://crisisresponse.google/emergencylocationservice/how-it-works/

11 minutes ago, sirweste said:

There's also this on android, wonder if there's an iOS thing too

https://crisisresponse.google/emergencylocationservice/how-it-works/

Looks good. Yet another weapon for the arsenal. I have just checked mine is activated. It makes me wonder what we did before all this tech. Even a dumb phone is a major step up from the bad ole days.

Apple has something called apple hybridized emergency location, though I don't know if it is available ourside the states.

1 hour ago, sirweste said:

Erm, how would you know your postcode? If you were walking, I'd assume you'd know your lat long, so I'd use that personally. 

oh dear, are you really so nerdish that you don't recognise irony?

why would I know my coordinates if I'm walking in the fells?   ....   you'd assume wrong.

and we've already assumed that there may not be a good signal, so, having established the location with W3W, another person goes to find a stronger signal and then relays the W3W location.

it would seem you have a pathological hatred of W3W - why don't you take it out on a brick wall like this :banghead:

• Greenie 2

11 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

why would I know my coordinates if I'm walking in the fells?   ....   you'd assume wrong.

I can safely say that in 60 or so years of walking the fells I have never used lat & Long (well not on a fell).  During my training for the Mountain Leadership Certificate Lat & Long was even never mentioned it was all done by grid refs.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, sirweste said:

Secondly I don't have the wiki link, 

Then you haven't read what is in the link you sent me off to read have you?

I got the wiki link from it, after reading through a bunch of meaningless arguments.

Hence my suggestion.....

6 hours ago, sirweste said:

You basically have to memorise all of it exactly else you wont get anywhere near where you are. Where as other methods mean the accuracy of the location increased the more characters you remember

Bit easier to remember 3 words, than the pluscode numbers.

Why cant the services use both?

2 hours ago, Jerra said:

I can safely say that in 60 or so years of walking the fells I have never used lat & Long (well not on a fell).  During my training for the Mountain Leadership Certificate Lat & Long was even never mentioned it was all done by grid refs.

Quite!
All the Rescue Organisations we work with use OS map references and are starting to use W3W.
Why? Because they are understood by many and commonly used.

• Greenie 1

On 13/11/2019 at 18:48, mrsmelly said:

Its a no brainer. i am in Dorset at the moment,  was on a beach in the middle of nowhere this morning and looked at what 3 words. It would have been the only way I could have given my location, without it I could have given a clue within about 3 miles.

I think most Police forces use it, my old force certainly does. Its fantasticaly accurate if u have a fone signal

If your fone has a signal, it is also capable of giving your position as a National Grid reference or Lat/Long to the same accuracy.

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, Jerra said:

Surely all that would happen is that people would not use the app and resort to the old fashioned methods.   I can't see emergency services relying purely on one system.

They can't. They will translate What3Words to a Grid reference. With that, if you know where you are and where the casualty is, you know what direction to go. With What3Words, you don't, without assistance from the app.

14 hours ago, Jerra said:

If that is the case why are my ;local emergency services appealing to people to use W3W?

It does have the advantage of lessening the chance of error when passing the position. With Grid references and Lat/Long, it is all to easy to mishear a digit, or for a couple to get transposed.

15 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

Are you sure about that? Because speaking to people I know in the emergency services that doesn't happen, plus it is known to be very inaccurate in rural areas where only one mast is used so it cannot triangulate.

In rural areas each mast normally has three aerials pointing in different directions. and you (or the mobile operators) can get a rough range. But yes, in rural areas worst case is "within 47 kM of the mast I'm currently on". (The BT system was originally designed to make sure you got through to the RIGHT police force or ambulance)

But if you have no GPS W3W has the same issue; if you have GPS it's available to AML as well.

14 hours ago, Jerra said:

I take notice of the experts in their field.

Which experts?

I wouldn't ask BT or the Fire Service about Crime Prevention?

I wouldn't ask BT or the Police about Fire Suppression?

Individual police or fire services advising on geo-location and technology seems (to me) like asking an individual boater their opinion on makes of paddle gear or lock gates

15 hours ago, sirweste said:

What on earth are you on about!?

Someone asked what Plus Codes were, I'm not google but as I had supplied a webpage that fully describes what Plus Codes are with more than 10 paragraphs of text about them! If you Ctrl+F on that webpage you immediately get taken to the text about them! The person that asked "what are plus codes" here, rather than in google, complained that there was too much text, you are complaining that there isn't enough!!!!

Google is available, I was merely trying to re-share an interesting analysis of the various address mapping principles available!

I have @Murflynn ignore for reasons that are apparent.

Edited by LadyG

10 hours ago, Iain_S said:

It does have the advantage of lessening the chance of error when passing the position. With Grid references and Lat/Long, it is all to easy to mishear a digit, or for a couple to get transposed.

One of the down sids is the similarity of words, where they use singular and plural, add or miss that last "s" and your miles out. https://what3words.com/daring.lions.race  https://what3words.com/daring.lion.race

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I have @Murflynn ignore for reasons that are apparent.

you brought it on yourself, lady (or whatever you choose to be today).    remember when you were a Mod, before you flounced?

PS:  how do you manage to combine boating in the UK with living in Carolina?  ........................  not that I give a damn who, what or where is occupying your puppet glove today.

the master/mistress of confusion B)

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

One of the down sids is the similarity of words, where they use singular and plural, add or miss that last "s" and your miles out. https://what3words.com/daring.lions.race  https://what3words.com/daring.lion.race And you dont need an app to find that location, just click the link on any computer

41 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

One of the down sids is the similarity of words, where they use singular and plural, add or miss that last "s" and your miles out. https://what3words.com/daring.lions.race  https://what3words.com/daring.lion.race

I have not got the app and not too bothered if I am honest. I find understanding words on a phone can be challenging at times and having to revert to the phonetic alaphabet is the only option sometimes if someone has got a heavy accent (Indian, Scouse, Scottish.....so not trying to be racist!) so that is a good point Brian. I remember when we had our lumpy water boat, peeps used to say have a name that can be easily recognised over the phone or radio if needing to contact the coast guard for help. One of my mates had a boat which he named 'Puilladobhain' after that popular anchorage up near the bridge over the atlantic (.....that's in Scotland). Very user friendly in an emergency .......Not!

31 minutes ago, Ian Mac said:

I know of several share boaters who use w3w as their method of saying where they have left the boat, saves a lot of time hunting around of it they say.

When we are picking people up, I normally say we are 100 yards from Bridge 100.

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Do you tell them which canal or just let them guess?

Well you've got to give them some work to do.

I did have to call RCR out in September when we broke our throttle cable. We were on the North Oxford just north of the newbold tunnel. We used the RCR app which gives the gps position and I gave the bridge number and canal. The operator still had to ask which town we were near as she didnt have a clue where we were.......and the engineer had to ask us again where we were as he was given the wrong bridge number. There is no hope for us!