Lincolnshire Police. What3words

Clodi

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

Our local paper had a plea this week from  the Fire Service to use the app.  They had recently been called to rescue somebody stuck in mud and because of the rural situation What 3 words would have helped them pinpoint the site more quickly.

Its a no brainer. i am in Dorset at the moment,  was on a beach in the middle of nowhere this morning and looked at what 3 words. It would have been the only way I could have given my location, without it I could have given a clue within about 3 miles.

I think most Police forces use it, my old force certainly does. Its fantasticaly accurate if u have a fone signal

50 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its a no brainer. i am in Dorset at the moment,  was on a beach in the middle of nowhere this morning and looked at what 3 words. It would have been the only way I could have given my location, without it I could have given a clue within about 3 miles.

I think most Police forces use it, my old force certainly does. Its fantasticaly accurate if u have a fone signal

C'mon smelly, an old navy sea dog like you must be able to give Lat and Long off your smart fone too no? Not that the person at the other is guaranteed to understand it.

I'm not sure you actually need a signal apart from a GPS signal, and a battery that isn't flat.

///Sinking.Atlantic.Bollox

Edited by rusty69

4 hours ago, rusty69 said:

C'mon smelly, an old navy sea dog like you must be able to give Lat and Long off your smart fone too no? Not that the person at the other is guaranteed to understand it.

I'm not sure you actually need a signal apart from a GPS signal, and a battery that isn't flat.

///Sinking.Atlantic.Bollox

///Rising.Pacific.Bollox

eta....you must be nearby?

Edited by Dr Bob

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

In my experience the three words anyone in authority requires from you are "postcode, postcode, postcode". 

In the example I gave above a postcode was no help as out in rural Cumbria a postcode can cover a number of square miles.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

In my experience the three words anyone in authority requires from you are "postcode, postcode, postcode". 

Not really.  If you've injured yourself in a forest, and call an ambulance, w3w will pinpoint your exact location.  Even if you were able to identify the nearest postcode to your location, it would direct the ambulance to somewhere a long way from you.

As I understand it, the stumbling block regarding the adoption of what 3 words is that the owners have elected not to make it public domain. The worry remains therefore that once it's in wide use for emergency services, etc, they could impose costs, effectively having us over a barrel. Perhaps someone knows a bit more about this?

16 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

As I understand it, the stumbling block regarding the adoption of what 3 words is that the owners have elected not to make it public domain. The worry remains therefore that once it's in wide use for emergency services, etc, they could impose costs, effectively having us over a barrel. Perhaps someone knows a bit more about this?

Surely all that would happen is that people would not use the app and resort to the old fashioned methods.   I can't see emergency services relying purely on one system.

25 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

The last 3 times this came up, my quick google took me to this site:

https://shkspr.mobi/blog/2019/03/why-bother-with-what-three-words/

I have W3W on my phone,why not, it's free (as smelly says) and ,may get me out of trouble one day.I also have an app that displays lat and long, and also an offline map (Osmand) that does the same. If my battery is ever flat,or my phone lost, I could be in trouble.

Edited by rusty69

59 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The last 3 times this came up, my quick google took me to this site:

https://shkspr.mobi/blog/2019/03/why-bother-with-what-three-words/

I have W3W on my phone,why not, it's free (as smelly says) and ,may get me out of trouble one day.I also have an app that displays lat and long, and also an offline map (Osmand) that does the same. If my battery is ever flat,or my phone lost, I could be in trouble.

Wow, that's an interesting link. Never tried W3W but that link does put me off. It does sound like the owners are building public necessity and then going to slap £20 a pop on the cost of the app! The issue of closed vs open is a concern. However do peeps use it to the point that the feel they have to have it? I can't see the point for me at the moment as I usually know which bridge I am near.?

Edited by Dr Bob

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

However do peeps use it to the poin that the feel they have to have it? I can't see the point for me at the moment as I usually know which bridge I am near.?

For me, it sits there as an emergency option. I certainly have never used it in anger. Mrs Rusty did use it once as an experiment whilst we were out shopping once. She gave me the words

///move.it.loser.

I can see people using it to locate each other.It saves saying "I am just stood next to the big oak tree opposite the blue caravan with a goat outside". 

I am not sure of the benefit of this over google plus codes though

https://plus.codes/

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

Not really.  If you've injured yourself in a forest, and call an ambulance, w3w will pinpoint your exact location.  Even if you were able to identify the nearest postcode to your location, it would direct the ambulance to somewhere a long way from you.

Agreed, but my point was the emergency services when you phone them, still ask you for a postcode not your w3w.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

I could be biased (because I helped develop AML) but W3W is a commercial gimmick which for the emergency services is not needed. It has it's uses (letting boat owners find each other in open countryside. Identifying specific cottages on open moorland etc) but for 999 we have AML - Advanced Mobile Location. It's built into the core of every smartphone (and if you ain't got a smartphone W3W won't help either)

AML

Dial 999 (or 112) but you were going to do that anyway.

Speak to the BT operator who asks "which service do you require"

In the background, your phone checks the batters state, if enough then enable GPS (which you need for W3W...)

While you're still talking, the phone sends a silent (and free) text to 999 with you lat / long and altitude.

BT merge the text and the voice call (as they come from the same number) and pass on to Blue Light Services

The problem with AML is the Blue Light Services who won't adopt it.

Which hasn't stopped BT offering it (free) to other countries who have lapped it up.

<whinge over>

• Greenie 2