Weekend on the GU-Flooding?

Amy227

Featured Posts

Good morning,  all! My husband and I are hiring a boat on the GU from Friday through Sunday. Flying from New York tonight for our first narrowboat adventure. Will the rain significantly impact our trip? We are prepared with gloves, rain coats, etc. What else would be critical for us to know? (Wondering if I should bring my waterproof ski trousers!?)

Thanks, all!

31 minutes ago, Amy227 said:

Good morning,  all! My husband and I are hiring a boat on the GU from Friday through Sunday. Flying from New York tonight for our first narrowboat adventure. Will the rain significantly impact our trip? We are prepared with gloves, rain coats, etc. What else would be critical for us to know? (Wondering if I should bring my waterproof ski trousers!?)

Thanks, all!

have a  great trip

26 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Waterproof hat. Passing under the ventilation shafts in particular will give you a cold shower after all of the rain we have had recently. ?

Check! My concern are the trousers. Everything is waterproof but our those and I'm hesitant to pack ski trousers. They take up a lot of space! 

54 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

You'll be fine 

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, Amy227 said:

Check! My concern are the trousers. Everything is waterproof but our those and I'm hesitant to pack ski trousers. They take up a lot of space! 

Thanks!

You could always buy some cheap waterproof trousers over here e.g. https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=waterproof trousers or

https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-workwear/trousers/cat7310009#category=cat7310009&sort_by=price .

Both Toolstation and Screwfix have branches in Leamington Spa near your start point.

It miight be a bit wet underfoot, even when its not actually raining, but apart from that you should be fine.

Enjoy the trip!

1 hour ago, Amy227 said:

Thanks, all!

You’ll be absolutely fine, the worst area for flooding are further north, weather looks chilly though 50f in your language and showers during all thee days, your hiring from Calcutt?

35 minutes ago, Knighty said:

You’ll be absolutely fine, the worst area for flooding are further north, weather looks chilly though 50f in your language and showers during all thee days, your hiring from Calcutt?

I beg your pardon ...... you displaying the Union Flag

I assume you are hiring from Kate Boats.  We were out in the Napton/Braunston area over last weekend.  There is a lot of water about and in places the towpath is very muddy, and even flooded in a couple of places.  Other than that you will have no problem, and in fact all the water actually make boating a bit easier as the level is up perhaps 6in above normal so the boat goes through the water nicely!

You should be able to get through Braunston tunnel to Norton Junction and back in the weekend you have, remember at this time of year it is dark at 4:30pm, so get off early.

If hiring from their Stockton base you'll get through the tunnel. If their base nearer to Warwick, you'll be pushing it a bit. We are in Braunston at present. Give us a wave. What's the name of the boat your're hiring! We'll look out for you. 

3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

If hiring from their Stockton base you'll get through the tunnel. If their base nearer to Warwick, you'll be pushing it a bit. We are in Braunston at present. Give us a wave. What's the name of the boat your're hiring! We'll look out for you. 

From Warwick no chance, but I don't think they do weekend hires from there anyway, so I would have thought it would be Stockton.

BTW, were you moored by Braunston Turn on Sunday?

6 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Yep! Saw you after you had passed us. Still here. Hospital appt Monday coming. 

I faffed about a bit there, went to Midland Chandlers, and then used the elsan (the one on towards the stop house is out of action), before reversing and going towards Napton.

3 hours ago, Knighty said:

That’s what it looks like, why are you asking?

I highlighted your comment "chilly though 50f in your language "  I'm still not sure this decimalisation will ever catch on and stand that it is still the language of the Union Flag.

That's all. ?

On 13/11/2019 at 12:05, john6767 said:

I assume you are hiring from Kate Boats.  We were out in the Napton/Braunston area over last weekend.  There is a lot of water about and in places the towpath is very muddy, and even flooded in a couple of places.  Other than that you will have no problem, and in fact all the water actually make boating a bit easier as the level is up perhaps 6in above normal so the boat goes through the water nicely!

You should be able to get through Braunston tunnel to Norton Junction and back in the weekend you have, remember at this time of year it is dark at 4:30pm, so get off early.

We are! Cheers for all the great advice. We have waterproof shoes so we should be good. The weather here is actually warmer than at home, but we still hope to stay as dry as possible.  We can't wait!

On 13/11/2019 at 12:15, Nightwatch said:

Will do! We will be on The Dorothy Constance. :) Braunston is our ultimate destination and the tunnel is icing on the cake, so to say.

On 13/11/2019 at 09:07, David Mack said:

You could always buy some cheap waterproof trousers over here e.g. https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=waterproof trousers or

https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-workwear/trousers/cat7310009#category=cat7310009&sort_by=price .

Both Toolstation and Screwfix have branches in Leamington Spa near your start point.

It miight be a bit wet underfoot, even when its not actually raining, but apart from that you should be fine.

Enjoy the trip!

Thanks! Very helpful!

Actually, the GU is very tasty at the moment below Stoke Bruerne locks where the River Tove kind of joins it and slides to the side. Last night and todays rain has made it quite lively and I hope all the boats moored on the offline section are using loose ropes or long lines!!

You will not make this far in your planned cruise.

42 minutes ago, Amy227 said:

We are! Cheers for all the great advice. We have waterproof shoes so we should be good. The weather here is actually warmer than at home, but we still hope to stay as dry as possible.  We can't wait!

Will do! We will be on The Dorothy Constance. :) Braunston is our ultimate destination and the tunnel is icing on the cake, so to say.

I will just point out in case you have not realised it, that in terms of time there is a big difference between going to Braunston, and going through the tunnel.  If you want to go through the tunnel you will go up the 6  Braunston locks, through the tunnel and then a couple of miles to Norton junction where you will be able to turn around, and then back through the tunnel and down the 6 Braunston locks.  That all thanks quite a bit of time, really a day with the limited daylight hours at the moment, but doable in the time you have.  If you just went to Braunston that probably not enough, if you want a little diversion you can also go the other way at Napton junction to the winding hole below Napton locks (the locks are currently closed for maintenance ).  If you moor up there you can walk to the Folly pub.

2 hours ago, john6767 said:

I will just point out in case you have not realised it, that in terms of time there is a big difference between going to Braunston, and going through the tunnel.  If you want to go through the tunnel you will go up the 6  Braunston locks, through the tunnel and then a couple of miles to Norton junction where you will be able to turn around, and then back through the tunnel and down the 6 Braunston locks.  That all thanks quite a bit of time, really a day with the limited daylight hours at the moment, but doable in the time you have.  If you just went to Braunston that probably not enough, if you want a little diversion you can also go the other way at Napton junction to the winding hole below Napton locks (the locks are currently closed for maintenance ).  If you moor up there you can walk to the Folly pub.

Thanks! Our hope would be to get from Stockton Top to Braunston tomorrow.  Then maybe day 2 through the tunnel and back. Day 3 Braunston back to Stockton. That said, we are going to relax, fo what we can and what we are comfortable with. Hopefully this is a reasonable itinerary. :)

25 minutes ago, Amy227 said:

Thanks! Our hope would be to get from Stockton Top to Braunston tomorrow.  Then maybe day 2 through the tunnel and back. Day 3 Braunston back to Stockton. That said, we are going to relax, fo what we can and what we are comfortable with. Hopefully this is a reasonable itinerary. :)

Sounds good, have fun!

Stockton top to Braunston should be about three and a half hours, so as long as you are away by 2pm you should be fine to get to Braunston.

Edited by john6767