Canaline 38 and the Ribble Link

Bob692

Featured Posts

It’s not just about the engine size, it’s as much or more about whether the cooling arrangements can cope with the engine running very fast for a long while without overheating. If the engine is adequately cooled then yes, although also depends on size of tide.

Edited by nicknorman

8 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

It’s not just about the engine size, it’s as such or more about whether the cooling arrangements can cope with the engine running very fast for a long while without overheating. If the engine is adequately cooled then yes, although also depends on size of tide.

There's no tide on a Ribble crossing that a Canaline 38 on a 57ft won't handle although the bigger the tide then the more time available to cross. Cooling, of course, is a consideration.

We did it at 50ft boat and a Beta 35, no problems. On our way up a Springer with a 2 cylinder Lister came out of Tarleton with us.  We left him "miles" (probably about 1 mile!) behind but he made it fine and the engine certainly got a good "Italian tune-up" if the amount of smoke that was initially coming on the Douglas was anything to go by.

On out way back we were again first out, followed by a 57ft narrowboat, that once of the Ribble overtook us and got quite a way ahead, but all he did was wait outside Tarlteon lock for the tide to make a level with the Rufford branch, so it gained him nothing, although I know he was in a hurry to get to Rufford for diesel before the marina shut.

I was very cautious as I know our skin tank is under size, so I stuck to 2000rpm that I know the engine will be fine at all day on rivers, eg upstream on the Thames.  That coped just fine with the Ribble link, except for when making the turn out of Savick Brook onto the Ribble where you need to give it some welly while you make the turn across the very fast flowing tide.