Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Alan de Enfield

Ducks 'get in the way of cyclists' 4500 eggs destroyed.

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

. This includes outside seating areas of restaurants. Faeces are a problem in these areas.

Restaurants really should provide adequate and accessible toilet facilities for their diners.

Did anyone actually read the full article before trotting out the usual anti-cyclist jibes?

No cyclist asked for this, its just some mad nimby who has applied for a licence to cull duck eggs and one of her excuses for doing so was that it may inconvenience cyclists.

Surely the real monsters here are the above-mentioned nutter and the governing body who are granting the licences?

• Horror 1

5 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Did anyone actually read the full article before trotting out the usual anti-cyclist jibes?

No cyclist asked for this, its just some mad nimby who has applied for a licence to cull duck eggs and one of her excuses for doing so was that it may inconvenience cyclists.

Surely the real monsters here are the above-mentioned nutter and the governing body who are granting the licences?

There is nothing monstrous about carefully controlling wildlife in a totally unwild habitat.  No part of Britain is now totally natural and not under the changes/control of man.

Equally there is not IMO anything monstrous in the method.pricking the eggs prevents them developing so done correctly all that is killed is a small group of developing cells.

The badger cull as an example is much more monstrous.

Just my opinion other opinions are available.  

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

There is nothing monstrous about carefully controlling wildlife in a totally unwild habitat.  No part of Britain is now totally natural and not under the changes/control of man.

Equally there is not IMO anything monstrous in the method.pricking the eggs prevents them developing so done correctly all that is killed is a small group of developing cells.

The badger cull as an example is much more monstrous.

Just my opinion other opinions are available.  

Hardly an opinion when its correct  :)

13 hours ago, stegra said:

Ok, I'll bite but I'd like to emphasize again that I'm not anti-bike, just don't like to see statistics played with. 

I accept that the survey is accurate given your clarification. However, there's no mention of the percentage of cars jumping red lights and there are far more of them. They're also more likely to cause injuries or death than a cycle. 

The figures for fixed penalty notices don't account for the disparity in numbers either, but more importantly, the fact that cameras don't catch cyclists. There needs to be someone on the ground to catch them. 

The final sentence, "Cars account for approx 78% of journeys but 46% of fatalities" seems to be counter to the whole argument. Surely this indicates that cars are safer and that 22% of journeys by other means are responsible for 54% of fatalities. 

To begin with there is a considerable percentage of motorists who will jump a red light, stand at a set of traffic lights and watch as they change back to red. If there is a queue of traffic going through and the last one will invariably pass through on red and if questioned will give you the excuse 'Oh, I was too close to stop safely' conveniently ignoring the fact that it is the amber light that says stop if it is safe to do, the red light gives no such 'let out'. Both the red light and the amber light are actually signalling for you to stop, but the amber light is seen as 'optional'. The only lights this doesn't happen at are those with a junction camera on them.

You might well find that in some areas cyclists don't stop on the red light because the road sensors do not pick up a cycle. The options there become either sit at the lights and wait for a car to come along to trigger the lights, or pass through the light (when safe to do so) on the grounds that the lights, because they don't pick up the cycle, are clearly faulty (although no-one is going to 'fix' them).

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

23 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Pedant alert -- that would make it n>6 (at least two of each form of transport).  Nice concept though!

I like this, it reinforces to me the challenge of discussion on a forum.  In my mind, the n is me [my experiences as a road user], so it is still n=1.  And I can see your interpretation is equally/more valid.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Murflynn said:

high time we culled snowflakes.

perhaps a medicine that will cause them to melt and run off into the gutters when the temperature rises above 15C.

Global warming...