Old Photos of S&W canal at Kinver

jonesthenuke

Featured Posts

I found these on a website of old postcards of Kinver, kinverpostcards.co.uk 

Most are identifiable as Kinver, but the two of dredging the canal are not easily confirmed to be Kinver (but I like the steam dredger and crane).

Most are Hyde Lock. The replacement of the lock gate is at the Vine (Kinver) lock. The image of the boat on the curved section of canal looks to be Paddock cottage, half way between Hyde and Kinver locks, though I stand to be corrected if someone know better.

75.jpeg

190.jpeg

192.jpeg

356.jpg

364.jpg

365.jpg

369.jpg

371.jpg

393.jpg

• Greenie 3

Unless someone can confirm there have been some pretty major changes around Kinver lock I think the picture of the gate replacement is more likely to be Wolverley lock based upon the proximity of the pub to the lock side and the sign that clearly indicates it is the “Lock Inn”. The shape of the pub building and the canal infrastructure itself though doesn’t entirely correlate with the current situation at Wolverley but it’s a lot closer than that at Kinver.

JP

30 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Unless someone can confirm there have been some pretty major changes around Kinver lock I think the picture of the gate replacement is more likely to be Wolverley lock based upon the proximity of the pub to the lock side and the sign that clearly indicates it is the “Lock Inn”. The shape of the pub building and the canal infrastructure itself though doesn’t entirely correlate with the current situation at Wolverley but it’s a lot closer than that at Kinver.

JP

The Lock Inn was demolished many years ago. See below for another picture of the area, showing the lock and the pub in question (same pub as look at the windows etc). This picture has the curved canal entering the lock, what is now the Vine pub  is behind foliage on the left side, and the chimney of the pub's outbuilding is present with the spike topped chimney which is still present today.

209.jpeg

• Greenie 1

The boat FRED appears to be a Severn longboat carrying poles stacked in the hold between vertical supports. Several timber merchants in Bewdley regularly carried poles like that to the potteries where they were used for making pottery crates, but whether it's one of those boat owners I cannot say for sure.

The cargo on FRED is of interest through the fact the destination was the Potteries. Crates made in the Potteries carried pottery goods along the navigation network. They were made in different sizes, but one type NEGRO CRATE which Henshall moved to Liverpool requires perhaps a further explanation.