Overnight mooring options between Cannock & Brum?

Grassman

Featured Posts

Early in December we are moving our boat from the Cannock Extension Arm on the Wyrley & Essington Canal to Birmingham City Centre using the route via Horseley Fields rather than the Walsall way, and then will use either of the two ways into Brum from there.

On the basis it will take a couple of days and perhaps a bit more due to the short days, I'm after advice about safe overnight mooring possibilities. After having done some research on here I'm looking at people's suggestions such as Sneyd Junction,  Bentley Bridge, John the Lock opposite the Fountain Pub, The Black Country Museum, outside the Health Centre in Tipton, Bromford Junction etc, so I have a fair few to choose from. I've been into Brum a few times so I'm fairly familiar with the city centre mooring places.

The reason I'm posting is to ask whether there should be space to moor in these places given that at this time of year boaters will probably be staying put more rather than on the move so much. I note that CRT have designated winter moorings at Cambrian Wharf and Watery Lane on the New Mainline but don't appear to have any elsewhere on the route.

Also, will the weed on the W&E have died off by now or will it still be as slow going as it was a month ago?

I would say your suggestions are all fine, Snead is probably not far enough, so Bentley Bridge would work as a first stop and then to the centre from there or an additional stop at Tipton if you want to.  I would have thought there would be space but you can never tell of course.

Halfway in terms of distance and probably a bit more in terms of time is at Horseley Fields Junction. So if it’s a two day trip the likely mooring spots are either Bentley Bridge or Broad St (Wolverhampton top lock) where there is either towpath mooring or secure offside mooring.

JP