Do these windows not open??

Kudzucraft

Featured Posts

39 minutes ago, Kudzucraft said:

Thank you!

Sounds like it would be great for added ventilation on a hot day too.

They are similar to mine, probably same make? Double glazed units that open full pane inwards an inch or so but can be lifted out entirely in 5 seconds. Very useful design, fantastic for ventilation in hot summer and saves putting side hatches in as they do the same job but in more locations.

• Greenie 1

I fitted s/h Worcester Marine windows to mine, except mine have the integral top opener too. Yes they can be lifted out.... And better still, replaced with Ali sheet cut to size when you have to go away and leave the boat. Worcester have gone bang a couple of years ago. Shame. 

5 hours ago, Athy said:

That type of window does look rather odd to me (I think Black Prince hire boats have them too) but I'm sure they're practical. Like you, I thought at first that they didn't open.

Why? We fitted hopper windows like that in Pisces back in the 1960's when we fitted it out.  We used old underground train carriage end door windows from the London Transport carriage breaking yard at West Ruilsip, and made our own outside frames. They worked brilliantly, you can see the middle one open in this photo:-

2062586179_1968(Dec)PiscesiceonG.U.JPG.ffbab112e9814f5678bd344cb3b6d244.JPG

Edited by David Schweizer