Leeds and Liverpool 1976

Pat H

Featured Posts

Hello all.

First post, so be gentle if this is in the wrong place etc.

Back in 1976 my parents hired Sabden from L&L in Adlington and headed East through Foulridge Tunnel and beyond.

Here are a few pictures, which I hope of are of interest.

Any info about the boat(s) and the locations would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

144 (2).jpg

416 (2).jpg

415 (2).jpg

290 (2).jpg

129 (2).jpg

149 (2).jpg

• Greenie 4

26 minutes ago, Pat H said:

Hello all.

First post, so be gentle if this is in the wrong place etc.

Back in 1976 my parents hired Sabden from L&L in Adlington and headed East through Foulridge Tunnel and beyond.

Here are a few pictures, which I hope of are of interest.

Any info about the boat(s) and the locations would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

290 (2).jpg

129 (2).jpg

I'm reasonably certain that these two are at Greenberfield Top Lock 

The boats with the orange/brown/tan top band and roof are probably from L&L cruisers, who traded from near Chorley. I think they now operate as Ellerbeck Cruisers

I don't recognise the other hire fleets - needs research!

Edited by magpie patrick

L&L Cruisers of Heath Charnock?

I know the name because there's a very scruffy boat (though now being done up following the death of the owner) called Myfanwry moored near us which has the remains of their signwriting on its side.

Edited by Athy

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

L&L Cruisers of Heath Charnock?

I know the name because there's a very scruffy boat (though now being done up following the death of the owner) called Myfanwry moored near us which has the remains of their signwriting on its side.

That's be them - in their day they were very good boats, as in I think they were the one of the first with steel cabins (most of the boats in those pics seem to be grp or wooden cabins)

I'm not as familiar with the L&L as I'd like to be, we did it end to end as a family in 1972 and 1973, when I was 6 and 7 respectively. Mum, Dad, 1st Ade and Mrs 1st Ade did it on an L&L cruiser in 1995 (I think) by which time the once fashionable four berth was in good nick but unfashionably short for 4 adults

6 minutes ago, IanD said:

And the old wide-neck pint bottles, easier to carry empty than the new dumpies if you're a milkman with big hands like my dad was...

Yep.

Green top, too.  None of that pasteurised rubbish.

Mum's still going.  Sprightly 83 year old now.

414 (2).jpg

146 (2).jpg

032 (2).jpg

2 minutes ago, Pat H said:

Yep.

414 (2).jpg

146 (2).jpg

032 (2).jpg

You mums 83 cos she probably eats proper food? No PC,  everything free crap that many fall for these days. My mum still eats her white bread with real butter and always, but always only ever buys proper milk, non of that semi skimmed rubbish and she loves fish and chips every time we visit. I suppose she could be healthy if she turned Vegan. Popping up to see her week after next for her 99th birthday. Great piccies by the way ?

22 minutes ago, Pat H said:

Yep.

414 (2).jpg

Could be Heath Charnock, but difficult to identify. Another possibility is just before Rose rove by the A679.

Very nice pictures!

Perhaps it's just me, but everything looks in much tidier order than it does now.

Must have been before BW completely lost the plot.

Benjamin Disraeli is one if Premier Narrowboats hire fleet. They were all named after British Prime Ministers.

People used to joke that they had one named Margaret Thatcher, but lost it when the first hirers were half way through their week's hire, and the boat refused to use the winding hole!

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Ennerdale is one of IMLs fleet which were based at Bank Newton but now defunct. Craven Empress is a Silsden Boats craft . The company is still running from the same base but with different livery. We hired Craven Maid a couple of years later.

Howard

1 hour ago, DRP said:

Very nice pictures!

Perhaps it's just me, but everything looks in much tidier order than it does now.

Must have been before BW completely lost the plot.

I had noticed that. I think things were managed then rather than out sourced. For instance it was torrential rain across from our mooring last week and the usual bods ploughed along with a grass cutter destroying everything and making ruts everywhere. They will have been given a date to do it good or bad wether whereas years ago other work would have been done elsewhere and the grass cut in more sensible weather.

9 hours ago, David Mack said:

People used to joke that they had one named Margaret Thatcher, but lost it when the first hirers were half way through their week's hire, and the boat refused to use the winding hole!

I'm sure that most people simply missed the joke.  I liked it!

"You turn if you want to, the lady's not for turning!"

• Happy 1