Saving gas and cleaning stove: foil cookery

LadyG

Featured Posts

I noticed how clean my gas stove is this week ............. it is only being used for soup, boiling water, and suchlike , anything bovine/ovine/porcine [?] gets wrapped in foil and put under the fire, I can also BBQ on coals using my all metal cheese grater! I think it would work for toast, just not french toast.

Edited by LadyG

6 hours ago, LadyG said:

I noticed how clean my gas stove is this week ............. it is only being used for soup, boiling water, and suchlike , anything bovine/ovine/porcine [?] gets wrapped in foil and put under the fire, I can also BBQ on coals using my all metal cheese grater! I think it would work for toast, just not french toast.

I will try eggs in foil ................

3 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I find if I put porqupines under the stove they run off.?

Best way to cook a porqupine is to roll it in clay and bake it in the embers of the fire. When ready, the clay is broken open and the spines come away still embedded in it.

• 2 weeks later...

If a half brick is placed on either side of the grate at the front just behind the fire or dog bars, a trivet can be placed upon them straddling across and above the coals. Upon this trivet all sorts of baking can be done, heating pies, heating tins of beans, cooking sausages, fish, alsorts. save foil pie dishes to cook things in, or oven foil. You can safely cook things with the foil left open to brown things off as all smoke and fumes will by pass it and away up the chimney. and not contaminate the grub at all, unless of course your flue pipe is clogged up.  I have smoked mackerel heating up like this at the moment. All you need is a small fire, not too hot. My trivet is made from Meccano.

On 12/11/2019 at 19:45, nbfiresprite said:

Best way to cook a porqupine is to roll it in clay and bake it in the embers of the fire. When ready, the clay is broken open and the spines come away still embedded in it.

Then, throw away the porcupine,  remove the spines and eat the baked clay. ;)

12 hours ago, bizzard said:

If a half brick is placed on either side of the grate at the front just behind the fire or dog bars, a trivet can be placed upon them straddling across and above the coals. Upon this trivet all sorts of baking can be done, heating pies, heating tins of beans, cooking sausages, fish, alsorts. save foil pie dishes to cook things in, or oven foil. You can safely cook things with the foil left open to brown things off as all smoke and fumes will by pass it and away up the chimney. and not contaminate the grub at all, unless of course your flue pipe is clogged up.  I have smoked mackerel heating up like this at the moment. All you need is a small fire, not too hot. My trivet is made from Meccano.

I would have thought the liquorice would burn being mainly sugar? ?