Lazyitus

Featured Posts

In amongst all the pipes near the calorifier, I have a slightly dripping push connector. Nothing too severe but it's there. It eventually drains the boiler(Alde slimline) header tank if left alone. So we keep an eye on it and top up accordingly. We have an issue with the Squirrel stove flue so will have to shut down the fire to sort and need the boiler for C/H during the operation. 

So, as per the title. As I'm a lazy so and so, and don't really know what I'm doing, and don't want to drain down to dismantle, is there some 'special' gunky stuff that I can shove up it to fix it. (Bodge it)?

My life is so complicated at present, so be kind.

41 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

is there some 'special' gunky stuff that I can shove up it to fix it. (Bodge it)?

Useful stuff to have onboard anyway.

Have a look at about 2 minutes 30 seconds

https://www.force4.co.uk/force-4-stay-afloat-emergency-sealant-0-4kg.html#.WWCJKdHXv4g

Edited by Alan de Enfield

3 minutes ago, Slim said:

I would go along with either suggestion. I would suspect the e bay tape is a type of self amalgamating tape. You're lucky Bizzard didn't suggest plugging the leak with a baked bean or two.

The correct name fot it is Bondabean.

• Greenie 1

I had a leak in my domestic boiler at home(it was rotten) this stuff got another 12 month out of it. from screwfix 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/sentinel-ls-rapid-dose-leak-sealer-adaptor-300ml/7013v

Capture.JPG

Edited by ditchcrawler
A better link and photo

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

https://www.force4.co.uk/force-4-stay-afloat-emergency-sealant-0-4kg.html#.WWCJKdHXv4g

I like this stuff. Alan, you sang the praises of this stuff on a previous thread of mine concerning water. I must try it. I wonder if Midland sell it.

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

Thanks again Alan. Because I have an aged iPad it's no longer compatible with Midlands web site. Called Apple and they recommended I buy a new iPad. 

Buy an android, a quarter the price, does at least a s good a job and more compatible with other stuff. If you want another i thingy I have one in the cupboard works perfectly well that you can have with pleasure.

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Buy an android, a quarter the price, does at least a s good a job and more compatible with other stuff. If you want another i thingy I have one in the cupboard works perfectly well that you can have with pleasure.

I also have one and only use it for logging my journeys. Its fine as long as I don't update the apps, do that and it tells you you need a newer system 

I replaced an ancient leaky stopcock that controlled the watermain input to my house on one occasion, using a freezing spray to freeze the input side which was an unsecured lead pipe.  The most scary repair I have ever attempted.  I was lucky, the dangling pipe did not fail. 

I would try rotating the pushfit connector. This might achieve a better seal, but as the cause maybe scratches on the pipe rather than the sealing ring, it is unlikely.  It also might make it worse!

On 12/11/2019 at 10:25, Alan de Enfield said:

Hello Alan. Bought a tub of this stuff. £30 including delivery. Slapped some on and topped the header tank. No seepage. Yippee!  Turned on the circulation pump. No seepage. Yippee., Flashed up the boiler. Gloom. No one mentioned it melts at very low temperature. 

But, good stuff. Back to the drawing board.

Now general comment.

Took the joint apart. Caught the water and wet vac to dry area. Inside the joint is a small reddish plastic ring, like an olive but different. I wonder if that may be worn. Also, noticed that along the pipe, not in the joint, is a simple white plastic ring. I now wonder if that should be within the joint to assist pushing the 'plastic olive' to seal.

16 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Took the joint apart. Caught the water and wet vac to dry area. Inside the joint is a small reddish plastic ring, like an olive but different. I wonder if that may be worn. Also, noticed that along the pipe, not in the joint, is a simple white plastic ring. I now wonder if that should be within the joint to assist pushing the 'plastic olive' to seal.

Could well be. Most push-fit connectors have a rubbery O-ring, then a rigid plastic washer, then the toothed ring, and then the arrow shaped bit that prises the teeth open if the fitting is demountable. But if you have it apart, better to replace the fitting to be certain. 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Help. Took joint apart, mopped up all the water, dam-it. In which order do these three fittings go onto the pipe please. The white ring was not in the joint but loose on the pipe. 

IMG_1911.JPG

I think you may be missing a Black neoprene O-Ring.

They are normally a 3-part system

14 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Help. Took joint apart, mopped up all the water, dam-it. In which order do these three fittings go onto the pipe please. The white ring was not in the joint but loose on the pipe. 

IMG_1911.JPG

I’d replace the fitting. 

I am. Just watched a vid on you tube. Hence I have a leak I guess. Going to purchase another from Swindlers. 

Meant to post this, but forgot. 

Since, I have purchased a new joint (elbow). Done. Fixed. 

Thanks for all the gelp once again.