Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
LadyG

The Paper Clip

Featured Posts

Following on from the use of the paperclip to convert a wall heater to non pop up toaster.

I well recall driving a newly acquired horse lorry not by me!] when the brake pedal linkage failed, we used .......... yes .... a paperclip and limped towards civilisation. We got to the races in it, but only once.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

What on earth has this to do with "Banters & Social Events" though?

Does "Banters & Social Events" include Wakes?

If LG's paper clip had failed, causing brake failure on her horse lorry, then we could have attended that particular social event. 

3 hours ago, NB Esk said:

You put it in place of a missing split pin?

It was the only thing we had .... no phones, two horses, I can't recall if we had more than one paperclip, ..... I had used the handbrake to stop it,  in a lay-by, it was a very slow lorry, top speed 30mph.

I realise now, too late, that "banter" in the NB sense does not mean "a casual comment" but more a "ceilidh"

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

It was the only thing we had .... no phones, two horses, I can't recall if we had more than one paperclip, ..... I had used the handbrake to stop it,  in a lay-by, it was a very slow lorry, top speed 30mph.

I realise now, too late, that "banter" in the NB sense does not mean "a casual comment" but more a "ceilidh"

The only time I've given a lock gate a fair clout (happily a top gate) was on a boat where the owner was new to boating, new to diy and possibly new to common sense.  

He had, for some reason, "overhauled " his morse control and would I take the boat out to test it and also take him through his first ever lock.  Not a problem I thought (lol) so off we went, tried the morse lever several times and all appeared good.  Arrived at the lock and set it, motored into the chamber, thankfully slowly as I was explaining what I was doing, went for astern and all that happened was I picked up speed in forward.  Now it's one of those slow motion moments, all I could do was put the lever in neutral and brace for impact.  Boat was now still in ahead but at least on tick over, smack!!

Stripped the morse control down in the lock chamber, to find he hadn't bent back the legs of the split pins as he didn't want to "waste " them.  Managed to find the missing split pin on the deck board and replaced it, properly this time.

Wasn't impressed with his mechanical skills but it could have been worse.

When I was in the army back in the seventies we were on exercise somewhere in the german outback. I ran a HF link back to the UK and being HF the antennae we used were long pieces of copper wire suspended between two 48 foot masts. This type of arial is called a dipole. Anyway the copper wire we used for the dipole wasn't much thicker than a paperclip. One day as we sat in our wagon there was a hell of a commotion outside and we went out to see a helicopter of the Royal Army Air Corps land about fifty yards away. The pilot (or co-pilot, can't remember now) got out of the helicopter and came running over. He asked if he could have some of our arial wire. He needed about a foot. As we had miles of the stuff in our lockers we snipped off a foot or so. He then took it over to his copter and proceeded to wind it around some part of one of the rotor blades. After a short time he jumped down shouted thanks fired up the chopper and flew off. To this day I have no idea which part of his rotor blade he tied back on with a piece of our copper wire.

Carry a quantity of assorted Meccano parts around with you, my motor car and my boat are chocka with Meccano fixes. Thank you very much Mr Frank Hornby.

Split pins, yes did a delivery on a rag n stick. The handrails came off before Dumbarton, we sorted this, but the mast fell off on first owner outing, same thing.