Stove fan

bigcol

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Aldi’s. Stove fan £15.99

Got the same one for my birthday, think it came from Amazon, and was a bit more than 15 squid.  Works well enough, but has developed one hell of a rattle.  So considering I got it in March, close to the end of the season, and it’s only just November, thus the beginning of the next season, not sure it’s worth, even that money...

I have one alongside a genuine original small Ecofan, but they were £20 when I bought ours I think.

Even that is less than a quarter of what the Ecofan price once was, and performance is similar, so if you want one, buy cheap.

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

I have one alongside a genuine original small Ecofan, but they were £20 when I bought ours I think.

Even that is less than a quarter of what the Ecofan price once was, and performance is similar, so if you want one, buy cheap.

I don't know. I've got a genuine Ecofan that I was given 12 years ago when friends moved off their boat. Not saying it's got much puff, if any but. It's been knocked off the stove countless times bending the blades. A quick twist back again and off it goes. Great indicater that the stoves still going in the early morning. Would I buy another one? £16 yes. Ecofan prices, well.......................................

We've bought one. I've always been very sceptical of their efficacy, so wouldn't ever have forked out Ecofan prices. Still not sure it actually does anything, but for £16 it's a nice bit of kinetic sculpture, and it does tell you roughly how hot the top of the stove is. No rattles yet, but it's only been in use a week.

MP.

Ah, you're all a load of snowflakes!

Of course some fans do work. Not a chance with that Lidl one though as not enough heat getting up to the cell. Buy a decent one with a good heat sink under the cell. There was a very scientific study done by some Muppet a couple of years ago that gave definite proof they work.

Edited by Dr Bob

7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Of course some fans do work. Not a chance with that Lidl on though as not enough heat getting up to the cell. Buy a decent one with a good heat sink under the cell. There was a very scientific study done by some Muppet a couple of years ago that gave definite proof they work.

Hey.I bought the same one as you did. The question I have for you, If it is so good, why did the supplier keep reducing the price, and then stop selling them altogether? Were they just tooooooo powerful for general consumption for the public to handle?

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Of course some fans do work. Not a chance with that Lidl on though as not enough heat getting up to the cell. Buy a decent one with a good heat sink under the cell. There was a very scientific study done by some Muppet a couple of years ago that gave definite proof they work.

But surely if the the Peltier Cell is mounted on a big heat sink, the cell will not get as hot as one on a smaller heat sink, and thus drive the fan slower? 

Still as long as you keep the bearings well lubricated with snake oil It should perform OK ?

Edited by cuthound
Premature posting

we have an ecofan and an aldi one and if you put both on top of stove together facing away from each other the eco starts about 10 seconds faster than the cheapo and stops about 30 seconds after the cheapo when stove cools but when both at full speed they blow the same if you hold string in front of them.

39 minutes ago, cuthound said:

But surely if the the Peltier Cell is mounted on a big heat sink, the cell will not get as hot as one on a smaller heat sink, and thus drive the fan slower? 

Still as long as you keep the bearings well lubricated with snake oil It should perform OK ?

I am not heating engineer but are you right?

My fan has a big block of aluminium under the pletier cell and then thin fins above it. The big block gets up to say 150°C and the fins above it pick up any heat transferred through conduction/radiation/transmognifcation etc so may end up at say 100°C. The fan starts to rotate (fast) and drags cool air across the block/fins. The block will loose less heat as the surface area is much lower than the finned area above so the temperature differential will be high. If the fan had a thin section below the cell then this would be cooled more than the thick section so the temperature differential would be lower and the fan go round slower. Your point is about the block getting up to temp and I did notice when I changed the motor and put the fan on the hot stove, it took a good 10 mins before the fan speed got up to very fast.....presumably as it was heating up the block.

The fan I got was claiming much higher cu. ft. of air moved than the other fans. It does move the air around our front cabin at face level (when sitting)  as per that link above so makes a difference when watching the telly.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

I am not heating engineer but are you right?

Yes he is...

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

My fan has a big block of aluminium under the pletier cell and then thin fins above it.

Exactly :)

Much better to have the heat sink above the cell than mounting the Peltier unit onto a big heat sink.