Swans and how to get rid of em

sirweste

Featured Posts

15 hours ago, Loddon said:

A very good way of spooking Canada geese is a laser pointer, once they see the dot on the water or on other birds plumage they get very agitated and leave, don't know if it works with swans.

Like this?

41C+dwOGEzL._AC_.jpg

20 hours ago, Jerra said:

That is a domestic gander they are all front, grab them by the neck and hold them for a few minutes I haven't had one bother me after that.  Hold gently not squeeze or somebody willsay n o wonder they don't bother you they are dead.

I wouldn't say that they are all 'front', whilst (legitimately) walking onto a farm a number of years back, two of their 'guard geese' approached and whilst one made a lot of hissing noise, the other made a very spirited grab at my genital area:o, rather than a grab at the neck it got a clout round the head.

4 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I wouldn't say that they are all 'front', whilst (legitimately) walking onto a farm a number of years back, two of their 'guard geese' approached and whilst one made a lot of hissing noise, the other made a very spirited grab at my genital area:o, rather than a grab at the neck it got a clout round the head.

Which I suspect would work quite well.

1 hour ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Dad spent his youth working on various farms with all the normal farm animals,  nothing much bothered him but geese, he never liked geese :)

2 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Do you mean they are more evolved?  They are certainly better at flying!

No new to the country.  Part of the immigrant problem.

Edit to add:

In the 81-84 Atlas they were in just one 10Km square and in the 88-91 Atlas they were breeding in only 3 10Km Squares.

Edited by Jerra

Couple of things. People have a habit of seeing themselves as set above and separate from nature. This is not so. In nature an animal that attacks, or threatens to attack another animal ten times its weight and four times its height is likely to get its arse kicked. In the case of stroppy swans or geese it's best to fall in with the natural order. Their assumption of dominance is learned behaviour.

Also, it's said that swans mate for life. On the contrary, my experience is that they fly away as soon as you let go.

• Haha 4

35 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Dad spent his youth working on various farms with all the normal farm animals,  nothing much bothered him but geese, he never liked geese :)

He got on alright with pigs?? My experience is that pigs have a fine set of teeth to deal with life's 'difficulties', I wouldn't go near them without a 'deflecting board' (large piece of chipboard/Hardboard/wood):huh:

Just now, Wanderer Vagabond said:

He got on alright with pigs?? My experience is that pigs have a fine set of teeth to deal with life's 'difficulties', I wouldn't go near them without a 'deflecting board' (large piece of chipboard/Hardboard/wood):huh:

He was a bit wary of pigs if I remember and certainly told me of the importance of the  board  :)

funnily enough he recently had a rant about idiots messing up pig handling in the yard before slaughtering and boy can he rant ;)

1 minute ago, Sir Nibble said:

Oh, and I always feel a certain superiority over swans. They can be as graceful and noble and balletic as they like but I look them in the eye and grin as one who does in fact know what they taste like. Your move swan.

I hope you don't look at Slartibartfeast in the same way.

Edited by rusty69

1 minute ago, Sir Nibble said:

I do however have a recording of her snoring and no idea how to upload it to here.

That is a shame. I would quite liked to have a listen to that.

3 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

I have no idea what hamster tastes like

It's always best to eat hamster as a pudding.......a dessert rat.

3 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

I have no idea what hamster tastes like. I do however have a recording of her snoring and no idea how to upload it to here.

Sure I've recounted this before but anyway.

Middle of the night, got woken by the wife (now ex) all a panic "someone's stealing the wheelbarrow"

"It's the bloody hamster in its wheel " says I

Apparently the squeaky barrow wheel sounded like the squeaky hamster wheel

8 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Sure I've recounted this before but anyway.

Middle of the night, got woken by the wife (now ex) all a panic "someone's stealing the wheelbarrow"

"It's the bloody hamster in its wheel " says I

Apparently the squeaky barrow wheel sounded like the squeaky hamster wheel

So, the hamster stole the wheelbarrow? Where was he taking it in the middle of the night?

Hamburglar perhaps?

Edited by rusty69