Swans and how to get rid of em

sirweste

Featured Posts

Odd one this!

I particularly dislike swans, as does my mutt. Unfortunately with the amount of boaters feeding em they are particularly bullish and never seem to leave. 

Does anyone have any advice of how to shoo them away!? Tried squirting water at em, which they seem to dislike but it doesn't really deter them.

• Greenie 1

I wish I knew the answer.

This summer we have had one particular swan who climbs out of the cut and into our garden, much to my dog's annoyance.

Even letting the dog go nose to beak with them doesn't deter them. ?

20190912_143212.jpg

20190912_114212.jpg

Edited by cuthound
To add the last paragraph

8 minutes ago, sirweste said:

Odd one this!

I particularly dislike swans, as does my mutt. Unfortunately with the amount of boaters feeding em they are particularly bullish and never seem to leave. 

Does anyone have any advice of how to shoot them away!? Tried squirting water at em, which they seem to dislike but it doesn't really deter them.

There's your answer

I have hated swans since I was a lad.    My dad had a tiny plot of land on the Warren in Caversham with 40ft of river frontage which we fondly imagined we could use for enjoying the riverside.    The plot was taken over by swans who used it as a huge toilet and roosting base, and of course whenever we turned up they were very aggressive, trying to repel us.    

.....................  I wish he had held onto the plot - of course it is now built on and worth a fortune.

Henry VIII used to eat them - has anyone here tried?

1 minute ago, robtheplod said:

They are head strong aren't they!

The local swans at Yelvertoft had lots of young this year and systematically took them round all the boats teaching them how to beg. They now go around in pairs looking intimidating, and knocking on the hatches!

Exactly this, bangin on the windows, the dog is fit to burst lollll.

Moving off tomorrow, had enough of em! They win

They are a bit bullish but harmless. I am an admirer of swans and ducks.

To live with them you have to dominate them gently. I feed then on the remains of cereals, the small bits in the bottom that I don't like.

If they are menacing and aggressive, hold the lower bill, they have no teeth, until they paddle and back off, it does not hurt them but teaches them who is boss.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

13 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

As Mrs Beeton is supposed to have said "First catch your Hare".   It is the killing of the swan which is the illegal part.

Not really sure the point you are making a quick scan of the URL seems to show only historic references.

17 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

They are a bit bullish but harmless. I am an admirer of swans and ducks.

To live with them you have to dominate them gently. I feed then on the remains of cereals, the small bits in the bottom that I don't like.

If they are menacing and aggressive, hold the lower bill, they have no teeth, until they paddle and back off, it does not hurt them but teaches them who is boss.

This works with stroppy domestic Ganders as well.

1 minute ago, Mike Tee said:

If you don’t want to grab them (as above), flap a large towel at them as you walk towards them. It works, don’t know why, maybe it looks another even larger bird coming at them!!

Will try this too, cheers. 

2 hours ago, sirweste said:

Odd one this!

Does anyone have any advice of how to shoo them away!? Tried squirting water at em, which they seem to dislike but it doesn't really deter them.

Bit of an occupational hazard with this boating lark!  Although unlike you I’ve never particularly had issues with swans, even though Worcester itself has loads of them, they all seem to stay on the river and not venture much to the canal.  Ducks however, are a pain in the arse at Diglis, they all gather (and crap) on the pontoons so as to avoid foxes.  Then in the middle of the night, see a fox, and even though they’re safe, panic!  Don’t even get me started on geese.  The Avon is amuck with geese, which made our time at Evesham Marina interesting...

Canada geese, a pestilence. shame that recently they were added to the protected list. I wish they should all be removed back to Canada in exchange for wood pellet fuel.

They are dirty, noisy and eat more than sheep.

Useless as a sport bird, they just peer down the barrel as you shoot them, idle beggars.

Feed them slug pellets.

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

12 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Canada geese, a pestilence. shame that recently they were added to the protected list. I wish they should all be removed back to Canada in exchange for wood pellet fuel.

They are dirty, noisy and eat more than sheep.

Useless as a sport bird, they just peer down the barrel as you shoot them, idle beggars.

Feed them slug pellets.

Another clear example of the stupidity of introducing species which have never been native to the country.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

You'd have to be the Queen or a Fellow of St John's College Cambridge to eat swan legally.

I believe there is more than one queen who frequents this website.

presumably at a banquet on 25 June HM and/or the Fellows get to eat swan and their nearest and dearest have to put up with corned beef. 

2 hours ago, Jerra said:

I hope not as they along with most birds are protected.

you have to be joking ......................................................    :banghead:

Edited by Murflynn

39 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Another clear example of the stupidity of introducing species which have never been native to the country.

Very true, Grey squirrells, signal crayfish, mink...........how long is the list?