Toasting toast

Featured Posts

This toasting technique probably won't be much use on boats, but one of the first things I learnt at university in 1973 was how to toast crumpets on an electric wall fire, that being the standard heating the college provided. When it's off and cold, you twist paper clips around two of the horizontal metal wires of the safety guard, with one end sticking out, angled slightly upwards. So when a crumpet is pushed onto one or two of these paper clip ends, it stays on, and the fire will toast it. Watch it doesn't burn, remove and turn the crumpet halfway through, spread some butter on and that's it, lovely.

Some engineering student probably put quite a bit of thought into that design.

Nowadays I just have a toaster and use that.

12 hours ago, Peter X said:

This toasting technique probably won't be much use on boats, but one of the first things I learnt at university in 1973 was how to toast crumpets on an electric wall fire, that being the standard heating the college provided. When it's off and cold, you twist paper clips around two of the horizontal metal wires of the safety guard, with one end sticking out, angled slightly upwards. So when a crumpet is pushed onto one or two of these paper clip ends, it stays on, and the fire will toast it. Watch it doesn't burn, remove and turn the crumpet halfway through, spread some butter on and that's it, lovely.

Some engineering student probably put quite a bit of thought into that design.

Nowadays I just have a toaster and use that.

The gas fires in my college accommodation all had similarly adapted paper clips attached to the front grill.

Went back a few years ago and the gas fires had all been removed.  How are the students of today supposed to toast crumpets on a radiator?

Edited by David Mack

Indeed! My research suggests that students of today do seem to have other crumpet-related problems...

This article features one who is apparently scared of them, or rather of anything with repetitive patterns of holes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48058863

There's a forum for students, which is helpful...

This is quite a discussion of what to put on top (no mention of how they cook them):

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4752938

Hummus!? Come on students of today, what's wrong with traditional butter? That's about all we ever used in my day.

However here's quite an entertaining topic about whether crumpets can be eaten raw, which does include some discussion of how to cook them. It appears that your average modern student has no electric/gas wall fires, but access to a kitchen including a microwave oven:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=312268

How do some of these people get into university? I loved their OP's comment "Im starving, I have no way to heat them up, will I die?"!

1 hour ago, Peter X said:

Indeed! My research suggests that students of today do seem to have other crumpet-related problems...

This article features one who is apparently scared of them, or rather of anything with repetitive patterns of holes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48058863

and she is a graphic designer, I wonder how she sects her jobs, nothing with a row of holes in it 

1 hour ago, Peter X said:

How do some of these people get into university? I loved their OP's comment "Im starving, I have no way to heat them up, will I die?"!

Most Universitys (Polys) will let anyone in nowadays. Many degrees often are not worth the paper they are printed on. It's all about getting any sort of degree on the CV. 

Just now, rusty69 said:

You start your engine just to make toast?

No, we are on shoreline at present but if not then we do toast if engine is running. Its a terrible chore, I have to tun a key that instantly starts the engine then throw two switches that take half a second each to engage the travel power. Why? dont tell me you are without a travel power :o

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

No, we are on shoreline at present but if not then we do toast if engine is running. Its a terrible chore, I have to tun a key that instantly starts the engine then throw two switches that take half a second each to engage the travel power. Why? dont tell me you are without a travel power :o

Travel power....nah! We haven't even got LiFePo4's yet.

• 1 year later...

For some reason discount multi stores sell melba toast aka rusks, they keep forever in a tin, good value too, also lots of foreign biscuits, firelighters. and bug buster racquets £3.99, batteries not included.

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

For some reason discount multi stores sell melba toast aka rusks, they keep forever in a tin, good value too, also lots of foreign biscuits, firelighters. and bug buster racquets £3.99, batteries not included.

Swedish crisp rolls, rubbed with garlic, tomato and drizzled with olive oil. A sort of Swedish tostada con tomate y ajo. Five minutes work and Roberto es tu tío.