Toasting toast

Featured Posts

I'm trying to find better ways to make toast and my research has come up with the following ways (copied and pasted from various sources):

1. Get Toast Delivered

Well, you could just buy toast, like a box of toast. Melba toast exists at grocery stores, or, if your toast craving can wait two days, Amazon will bring it right to your door. Fun fact: Melba toast was named after an Australian opera singer who went by the stage name Dame Nellie Melba. Around 1897, she apparently fell ill and toast became a staple of her diet.

2. Use Your Oven

The easiest way here is to turn on the oven and set your bread on the rack beneath it, keep the door cracked, and wait. This will toast fast. I started bread on fire once with this method, so don’t go take a nap while you cook bread (and have a fire extinguisher handy). An alternate method is to set the oven to 350º and toast your bread on the middle rack for 10 minutes, flipping it over at the halfway point.

3. Use Your Stovetop

If you’re wondering, how do you toast bread in a frying pan, take a hint from French toast. To make non-French toast, grab a skillet, some slices of bread and a little butter. Melt a pat of butter over medium-high heat and toast the bread for a few minutes on each side.

4. Make It Over an Open Fire

You may not have a toaster, but do you have an outdoor fire pit? Great! It won’t take too long to fire up that puppy with some wood and kindling and other such things one needs to make a fire. You may be wondering, “How do I get the bread over the fire without burning myself?” Don’t worry, they made a thing for that: a campfire toaster. In the reviews, one grandma gave it five stars and said it toasts bread over a campfire better than any other method: “My grandchildren kept asking for more toast,” she says. Grandchildren-approved.

5. Microwave It

This sounded somewhat absurd to me, even though I have crisped up turkey bacon in my microwave many a time. I decided to give it a test run. I placed a piece of whole wheat toast on top of a paper towel and hit the 30-second button, after which my bread seemed kind of soggy and the paper towel was damp. I gave it 30 more seconds. Same effect. Thirty more seconds. The bread was now slightly smoking and a little burnt in the center. But toasted.

So, can you make toast in a microwave? Kind of. I would a) leave this as a last resort in a toast emergency and b) watch it very closely.

6. Campfire Toast

When you’re really out in the middle of nowhere on a camping or hiking trip and want nothing more than some warm and hearty toast for breakfast, you can easily make it on your campfire. The first option is to use a toasting stick that allows you to hold the bread yourself over the top of the flames and brown it to perfection, but there’s another way that requires less effort. Simply place the bread onto the grate that goes over your campfire and let it cook, then turn after a minute or two to do the other side.

7. Under the grill

Obvious. Get the grill up to temperature and toast either side.

Do we have any more methods?

2 minutes ago, NB Caelmiri said:

I'm trying to find better ways to make toast and my research has come up with the following ways (copied and pasted from various sources):

Thread title "Toasting Toast"

Why would you want to toast something already toasted ?

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Thread title "Toasting Toast"

Why would you want to toast something already toasted ?

I always thought it was bread that was toasted.

My wacky alternative suggestion would be.....a toaster.

How about stick a piece of bread on top of the flue pipe/chimney.

Edited by rusty69

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well - you can toast Pikelets, Crumpets etc, but in principle you are correct.

Ahhh, so you're a waffle man?

I think the OP needs to specify what is being toasted then.

Tea cake anyone?

s.jpg

d.jpg

Edited by rusty69

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Ahhh, so you're a waffle man?

I think the OP needs to specify what is being toasted then.

Tea cake anyone?

Slices of bread initially! Those are the tricky bread products to toast welly, particularly under the grill. The toasted side starts getting cold too soon when you flip it over to toast the other side. I wonder if there's a device, a bit like a toaster, you can buy that will work on a boat (that isn't plugged into the the grid).

Edited by NB Caelmiri

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ah - but were they toasted before you toasted them.

Double Toasted Toast is the new Heston Bloominheck's Triple Cooked Chips. You'll be seeing it everywhere next year and you read it first here!

1 hour ago, NB Caelmiri said:

What about placing the bread/crumpet/muffin/teacake etc. adjacent to the engine exhaust.  Might not work in lock flights but should be good on long pounds or tunnels.

Extra flavour too, possibly

N

2 hours ago, NB Caelmiri said:

Fun fact: Melba toast was named after an Australian opera singer who went by the stage name Dame Nellie Melba

Indeed, and seen the statue of her in Melbourne.  Melba was a stage name taken from her home town...

2 hours ago, NB Caelmiri said:

1. Get Toast Delivered

But don’t forget to look up your What3Words, so that Deliveroo can get it to within 3SqMt of your gangplank!

If you are on your own.

a) Take two small glasses , big ones also work.

b) Fill them to the top with grog of your choice.

c) Chink them together.

d) Wish yourself "Good Health Old Bean" while diminishing the chances by guzzling them both immediately.

35 minutes ago, Ray T said:

12 volt toaster?

The end result wasn't very impressive or toasted. This one below gets positive reviews. It's 240v but only 800w. For less than 20 quid, I may "take one for the team" as it were and try it out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SunnCamp-Low-Watt-Toaster-White/dp/B003982094?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffab-uk-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B003982094