Would you believe it !!!

Sanddancer

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Sanddancer said:

Would you believe it moored up at least half a mile least the last boat nothing in sight in front, after 10 minutes a boat comes and Moore's 60 ft next too me.

Are they insecure or live in flats and miss the company.

Perhaps you have a magnetic personality?

27 minutes ago, Sanddancer said:

Would you believe it moored up at least half a mile least the last boat nothing in sight in front, after 10 minutes a boat comes and Moore's 60 ft next too me.

Why did you choose to moor there?  Perhaps their criteria for a good mooring is the same as yours.  To be honest 60ft away sounds reasonable, it’s when they stop 6in from your fender that annoys me.

• Greenie 1

Having always owned (ex)working boats, I can find myself at the end of the day thinking "only one (or two) miles to the next spot I can get the boat in".  During that one or two miles I often don't pass another moored boat, but as sure as eggs are eggs, as I turn the last bend, there is another boat tied up there.

I know the next suitable spot is another two miles away so, sorry, you've got company for the night.

• Greenie 3

36 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

It's the same in car parks. You park as far away as possible from other cars and come back to one right next to you despite there being 100's of empty spaces around you. 

But not in doctors waiting rooms, much research shows a real reluctance for people to sit next to someone else!

I think this is often the case on some canals where you know it is difficult to get in to the bank, if you see another boat tight to the bank it is a good indication of a spot with some depth so worth trying to get in.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, cuthound said:

A potato pushed firmly into the exhaust works and gives you enough time to get back to safety before the engine coughs and dies. ?

How do you know this?

Besides, a !!!Banana!!!  in the tailpipe is more customary.

Not sure where you are but I go with the "safety in numbers" mantra.

I personally try to moor up where there are other boats, especially this time of year when it's dark on the towpath and I'm a solo boater.

Edited by NB Caelmiri

4 minutes ago, NB Caelmiri said:

He is moored 60ft in front of me.

I moored up after a full days boating. Mrs wanted to wash her hair then dry it with the hairdryer. We watched a bit of telly, then the batteries went flat.I rushed outside to hook up the genny. All I could hear was cursing and swearing coming from the boat next door.

Of course, we would have moved on, but it was dark and cold.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Horror 1

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

He is moored 60ft in front of me.

I moored up after a full days boating. Mrs wanted to wash her hair then dry it with the hairdryer. We watched a bit of telly, then the batteries went flat.I rushed outside to hook up the genny. All I could hear was cursing and swearing coming from the boat next door.

Of course, we would have moved on, but it was dark and cold.

Sounds like you need to get some new batteries!

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, NB Caelmiri said:

I personally try to moor up where there are other boats, especially this time of year when it's dark on the towpath and I'm a solo boater.

I'm a solo boater of 'mature'  years and if I moor i prefer a spot reasonably near to someone (not on their fender) . From a selfesh point of view it's sensible. Sorry if I've ever annoyed anyone. My generator is a cacooned diesel that makes less noise than my main engine. If i arrive somewhere towards evening my batteries are well charged and I would hve no reason to run the gennie

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Kiwidad said:

So what is the problem? The canals are for all. For all you know, that is a favourite mooring of theirs / live and let live

No the OP has found a pleasant spot and now wants an exclusion zone. Bet he always moors 2 rings away from another boat at a 'honey spot'.

3 hours ago, The Dreamer said:

But not in doctors waiting rooms, much research shows a real reluctance for people to sit next to someone else!

I always try to avoid sitting anywhere near others in  doctors' waiting rooms.

I'm of the opinion the fact they are where they are suggests they may not be of the best of health.  Now call me picky but I don't intend to add their Verruca to my Bubonic problems.

• Happy 1

Out in the sticks like to be at least a full length boat away from other boats, but always nice to see someone else on these colder days as long as not on top of each other.       Different story at VMs where try and make sure there is no git  gaps

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, Slim said:

No the OP has found a pleasant spot and now wants an exclusion zone. Bet he always moors 2 rings away from another boat at a 'honey spot'.

Can you blame him if the other guy starts their engine/genny at 8.10pm?  See noise pollution thread...

But that's why I always moor as far away from other boats as I possibly can.  Too many inconsiderate buggers about these days.

PS if it's a VM and it gets busy, I ALWAYS move up...

15 hours ago, Sanddancer said:

Perhaps the local scrotes may be more reluctant to kick the windows in where they could be seen from another nearby boat.Also you can borrow a cup of sugar untill Friday from a neighbour!

If you really want to be alone,put a notice onyour boat "world,f---- off,I want to be alone"