Canal Boat Magazine article on LiFePo4  batteries.

rusty69

Featured Posts

Whilst waiting in the local garage for the annual car mot to be completed,I was thumbing idly through the magazine rack when I came across a canal boat magazine.

Now,I don't normally read magazines, but this one piqued my interest as it had an article describing the holy grail.....yes  c̶o̶m̶p̶o̶s̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶i̶l̶e̶t̶s̶  LiFePo4 batteries and their installation on canal boats.It looks to be the first in a series,of articles written by pioneers on the subject.These pioneers were using secondhand cells and diy battery management systems.

Unfortunately I didn't read the whole article as it was a bit technical for me and I fell asleep.

It was Decembers issue.

Anyone see it?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Whilst waiting in the local garage for the annual car mot to be completed,I was thumbing idly through the magazine rack when I came across a canal boat magazine.

Now,I don't normally read magazines, but this one piqued my interest as it had an article describing the holy grail.....yes  c̶o̶m̶p̶o̶s̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶i̶l̶e̶t̶s̶  LiFePo4 batteries and their installation on canal boats.It looks to be the first in a series,of articles written by pioneers on the subject.These pioneers were using secondhand cells and diy battery management systems.

Unfortunately I didn't read the whole article as it was a bit technical for me and I fell asleep.

It was Decembers issue.

Anyone see it?

Cheapskate! Why didn't you buy it?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Cheapskate! Why didn't you buy it?

I'm saving up for a copy of my own.The MOT bloke didn't seem to know much about Lithiums.

18 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Because the local mot station doesn’t sell magazines??

I could have borrowed it I spose.

It was an interesting article. The author is a liveaboard boater, who seemed to know what he was on about,but it is difficult to tell with these articles how much knowledge the author actually has on the subject.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I was thumbing idly through the magazine rack when I came across a canal boat magazine.

Did you notice which one? There are (or were) quite a few!!!

43 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

It was Decembers issue.

December which year? 

:giggles:

• Haha 1

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Did you notice which one? There are (or were) quite a few!!!

It had a picture of a boat on the front I think.

Now I think about it,I think it was called canalboat.

Maybe someone else saw the article?

14 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

If anyone asks Dr Bob nicely and agrees to buy him pints he might just email you his original but much better to buy the magazine (Canal Boat) and that will make my job a bit more secure as well :D

Are you the author, Tony??!! ?

Have you spent hours plucking the wisdoms from amongst the reams of dross in all the lithium threads on here???!!!

21 minutes ago, haggis said:

I saw the article too but wasn't sure which mag it was in as we get both Waterways World and Canal Boat. It made reference to the discussions on here on the subject

haggis

That sounds like it. I didn't realise the author nicked the ideas from the forum though. That is just so wrong.

14 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

If anyone asks Dr Bob nicely and agrees to buy him pints he might just email you his original but much better to buy the magazine (Canal Boat) and that will make my job a bit more secure as well :D

I didn't realise beer was involved. I can nip back and get the copy and post it in exchange for beer to anyone that asks.

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Have you spent hours plucking the wisdoms from amongst the reams of dross in all the lithium threads on here???!!!

Nobody from here would do that surely.I suspect someone has been reading all the threads and thought they could make a quick buck from selling the story.

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Are you the author, Tony??!! ?

No but from my post guess who is. I don't know enough about the practicalities to start recommending any boater who fancies it just having a go. I can see that ending in tears.

1 minute ago, haggis said:

I think Dr Bob may have been the author ? 

haggis

Oh I see! 

I was worrying it was that nice Mr Haywood!!!

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I suspect someone has been reading all the threads and thought they could make a quick buck from selling the story.

Writing for Canal Boat or any other magazine then waiting six months to get your pittance is hardly my idea of 'making a quick buck'....

Or at least that is what Coasty says its like about writing for canal magazines! 

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

That sounds like it. I didn't realise the author nicked the ideas from the forum though. That is just so wrong.

I didn't realise beer was involved. I can nip back and get the copy and post it in exchange for beer to anyone that asks.

Nobody from here would do that surely.I suspect someone has been reading all the threads and thought they could make a quick buck from selling the story.

I think I instigated the article and can assure you no-one ripped off anything on here but may have quoted other member' experience.

I understand there are two more potential articles so if you want to read them tell the Editor how much you liked this one.

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Ah ha. It was written by Starcoaster. I never suspected.

Curiously, I think not. I'm having great difficulty getting her properly trained up on lithiums...

Although I suspect she could write a GREAT article poking fun at all the stuff I say about them!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Curiously, I think not. I'm having great difficulty getting her properly trained up on lithiums...

Although I suspect she could write a GREAT article poking fun at all the stuff I say about them!

If it's half as good as her post on the things nobody tells you about living aboard it will be be fantastic read.?

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

If it's half as good as her post on the things nobody tells you about living aboard it will be be fantastic read.?

The things that nobody thinks to tell you.....................

...............About LiFePo4 the universe and everything.

Edited by rusty69

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Yeah, but what exactly are you blaming him for? The bloke who wrote the article was called Dave or Andy, or Bill or summit. It certainly wasn't Bob. Nice try though:)

For casting dispersions! I spent all afternoon watching Liverpool thrash Citey. I dont know any Daves and dont have a subscription to Waterways world.

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

For casting dispersions! I spent all afternoon watching Liverpool thrash Citey. I dont know any Daves and dont have a subscription to Waterways world.

Well, this is either a clever chemistry term, or according to my research an ancient spanish spell. 

So, if you are the genuine author of the article, can I have your autograph please? You are the first published muppet I know. 

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Well, this is either a clever chemistry term, or according to my research an ancient spanish spell. 

So, if you are the genuine author of the article, can I have your autograph please? You are the first published muppet I know. 

Did I mention Liverpool thrashed Citey today?