Thread about BSS examiners Insisting on Bubble Testers?

Featured Posts

47 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

So has it been removed or hidden, or am I just having a senior moment?

44 minutes ago, Athy said:

1) Yes.

2) Not as far as I'm aware!

Is it coming back, or permanently gone? (Didn't see it, but better half said something about it being titled "Bible tester")

4 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

Is it coming back, or permanently gone? (Didn't see it, but better half said something about it being titled "Bible tester")

That I don't know, as a colleague has been dealing with it.

4 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

It was a BSS Examiner warning about other BSS examiners making Bubble (Bible) Testers compulsory or they would fail the boat.

Bubble Testers are not compulsory.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It was a BSS Examiner warning about other BSS examiners making Bubble (Bible) Testers compulsory or they would fail the boat.

Bubble Testers are not compulsory.

The poster identified his email address and the fact that he is a gas-registered BSS inspector, making a critical statement (accusation) about a fellow (named and shamed?) inspector who may be a local and direct competitor. 

Advertising by a stealth route. 

If he had a complaint then I would expect him to make it through the BSS website for them to investigate and deal with, not on a public forum. .................................... it could have led to litigation.

Its non  qualified boat gas safe BSS wallers that can't use a manometer, water or electronic, only a bubble tester because they're not allowed unscrew the test point in the gas pipe, only qualified Boat gas safe chaps are allowed to do that.  The non boat Gase safe BSS  chaps will moan because the gas safe BSS chaps can do either which takes a large proportion of their work away.

I don't like bubble testers, just another possible leak source, which I've found pretty common.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

The poster identified his email address

He did - as his forum 'name' is his email address.

He has been a member for some time and has made a number of previous posts, this is not a 1st time poster touting for business.

I found it refreshing that one would 'whistle blow' and he should be supported not censured.

35 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Its non  qualified boat gas safe BSS wallers that can't use a manometer, water or electronic, only a bubble tester because they're not allowed unscrew the test point in the gas pipe, only qualified Boat gas safe chaps are allowed to do that.  The non boat Gase safe BSS  chaps will moan because the gas safe BSS chaps can do either which takes a large proportion of their work away.

I don't like bubble testers, just another possible leak source, which I've found pretty common.

I assume that the flexible hose from the regulator on the gas bottle to the first bit of copper is the weakest part of a gas system, rubber hose pushed on to a barbed connector and held with jubilee clips that might be over or under tightened? I also assume the bubble tester does not test this bit of the system.

I am aware of one BSS tester who gives a bit of discount for boats fitted with a bubble tester.

Would it be possible to have a pressure gauge (not a manometer) permanently fitted inside a boat?

.................Dave

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I just spent ages typing a response and as I pressed 'send' I got a message "Contact Us", and there is was Gorne !!

I think it was a useful post and should have been 'pinned' rather than deleted / hidden.

We should know about sharp practices by examiners - and I can add other examples.

Me too! This sort of thing is why CWDF‘S over-zealous micro-monitoring can be very tiresome at times.

12 minutes ago, dmr said:

I assume that the flexible hose from the regulator on the gas bottle to the first bit of copper is the weakest part of a gas system, rubber hose pushed on to a barbed connector and held with jubilee clips that might be over or under tightened? I also assume the bubble tester does not test this bit of the system.

I am aware of one BSS tester who gives a bit of discount for boats fitted with a bubble tester.

Would it be possible to have a pressure gauge (not a manometer) permanently fitted inside a boat?

.................Dave

I have bottle(s)=>HP hose=>wallmounted autochanger=>cu . I wouldn't be happy with an on bottle regulator.

9 minutes ago, dmr said:

.................Dave

Can be, yes, but I've found the pipe connections, reducers or whatnot  on B/testers leaking, a couple cross threaded too and one wrong threads coupled together and cheweed up. This was on a Liverpool boats Widebeam fitted out by Reading Marine!!!!!, The bush on the oven where the inlet pipe fits was leaking badly too, parallel threads with no sealant of any kind or washer.

1 minute ago, Murflynn said:

it is likely that the 'accusation' was based on hearsay - do you expect Daniel to have to defend his position in court?

While I fully accept the problem of litigation would it not have been possible to edit things so that nobody was identified?   That would have allowed sensible discussion to continue.

• Greenie 2

15 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

it is likely that the 'accusation' was based on hearsay - do you expect Daniel to have to defend his position in court?

No, but surely it was deleted too soon to have been as a result of a “takedown” notice. Danial’s only responsibility is to take such stuff down when so requested, not to anticipate it. I doubt Danial is even aware of it.

i mean I wonder how Mark Zuckerberg manages to review every Facebook post to check for inappropriateness - or does he lounge by the pool and await a takedown notice?

12 minutes ago, Jerra said:

While I fully accept the problem of litigation would it not have been possible to edit things so that nobody was identified?   That would have allowed sensible discussion to continue.

Too sensible!

Edited by nicknorman

9 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Can be, yes, but I've found the pipe connections, reducers or whatnot  on B/testers leaking, a couple cross threaded too and one wrong threads coupled together and cheweed up. This was on a Liverpool boats Widebeam fitted out by Reading Marine!!!!!, The bush on the oven where the inlet pipe fits was leaking badly too, parallel threads with no sealant of any kind or washer.

Reading Marine have not been trading for a few years now, but I remember that some of their adverts claimed "reassuringly expensive boats" which does not fit well with a Liverpool shell. :) We did speak to them briefly about doing a new boat for us till we saw the prices!  Found a secondhand owner fitout boat that was more to our taste and pockets.

.................Dave

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

Reading Marine have not been trading for a few years now, but I remember that some of their adverts claimed "reassuringly expensive boats" which does not fit well with a Liverpool shell. :) We did speak to them briefly about doing a new boat for us till we saw the prices!  Found a secondhand owner fitout boat that was more to our taste and pockets.

.................Dave

Ah, sorry they were called ''New Boat Co'' at Reading though I believe. 

3 hours ago, bizzard said:

Ah, sorry they were called ''New Boat Co'' at Reading though I believe. 

No you are confusing "Reading Marine", based at Burfield on the K&A with "New Boat Company" based at Thames and Kennet Marina, Caversham, Reading. Unconnected firms. 

I'm not surprised about the leaky gas system described by Reading Marine having met the bloke who worked there installing them. Full of sh!t and I simply don't believe he was GSR to work on boats as he claimed to me while my boat was out being blacked there. 

Never again. Bunch of cowboys. Not surprised they went under. 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No you are confusing "Reading Marine", based at Burfield on the K&A with "New Boat Company" based at Thames and Kennet Marina, Caversham, Reading. Unconnected firms. 

I'm not surprised about the leaky gas system described by Reading Marine having met the bloke who worked there installing them. Full of sh!t and I simply don't believe he was GSR to work on boats as he claimed to me while my boat was out being blacked there. 

Never again. Bunch of cowboys. Not surprised they went under. 

Anyway whichever Co did it, but I reckon it must have been the bloke you mentioned.  I can't understand why that boat didn't blow up, it had been like that for I think its 3 years from new since it was RCD'd when they need the BSS check. The gas was leaking badly from that oven fitting and must have always been like it. The owner thought he was using a heck of a lot of gas because they mainly eat out or take aways.  I had fitted a multi fuel stove in it too, could easily have gone off BANG!!!!.

I heard there are a lot fewer BSS examiners these days.

For a friend needing a renewal, finding one who is alive,  not off sick and interested , has proved to be a challenge.

Examiners interpreting rules differently seems quite common.