Duff batteries?

GUMPY

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

More seriously, he seemed to have no fear of the battery acid. Is it actually less dangerous than we in the west are lead to believe? 

I know it makes holes in my trousers but that takes a couple of weeks. Maybe if you wash it off your hands every so often it does no harm. Anyone tried??

Sulphuric acid at the concentrations used in lead acid batteries is relatively weak. It will burn holes in clothes made of natural fibres but it takes a little while for the holes to appear (usually they appear after the garment has been washed).

Unless you get some in your eyes, or other sensitive areas (wash your hands before going to the loo as well as after), it only results in mild skin irritation which stops when you wash it off.

Back in the day (early 70's)  when I regularly worked on batteries, cleaning the glass spray plates which covered the top of the otherwise open cells to contain the acid spray when charging . My only protection was a felt apron to protect my clothes and a barrier cream (when i could be bothered to use it).

Now I also used to have to regenerate the water de-ionising machine with concentrated hydrochloric acid, which involved pouring it from the 5 litre carbon into the machine.

That was nasty stuff. Had to use a simple breathing apparatus and a face shield. It smoked profusely when being poured, like something out of a Frankenstein movie, so that you couldn't see what you were doing and burned small pits in the concrete floor if you spilt any. ?

I'm sure things would be very different now that risk assessment, method statements and personal prpractice equipment are the order of the day.

Edited by cuthound
Clarification
  • Greenie 1