Flooding In Pennines area

matty40s

Featured Posts

This will probably affect both sides of the Great Divide....Met office and EA have increased warnings for the North.

Sheffield, Hebden Bridge, Leeds, could all suffer as the torrential rain sits and rotates above the area.

https://twitter.com/johncurtinEA/status/1192323897552777217?s=20

Edited by matty40s

I agree. 

The area around Meadowhall is apparently gridlocked and the police have shut the M1 at junction 34 to "relieve the traffic around Tinsley"

The roads are mayhem around here with closures on the M1, A1, lanes shut on the M18 and flooding in the A57 although that is still open for the minute. 

The rain is still very heavy and not due to get lighter until midnight according to the forecasts. And even then we still have light rain until mid morning tomorrow. 

Could be an interesting commute tomorrow morning.

32 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The Christmas Opening at Meadowhall was allowed to go ahead at 3pm, it's now on lockdown with nobody getting in or out!!

EIyo8ApX0AArKO1.jpeg

EIyo8AwWkAExepc.jpeg

EIyRE9-WwAIsPbW.jpeg

That van is a bit more under water now!

BBC News - 'Biblical' rainfall leaves streets of Sheffield flooded
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50333233

Around Poynton in Cheshire this morning on my motor bike. Road closed because of a collapsed bridge so took the alternative signposted diversion. Half way along this road, sign in the middle of the road 'emergency road closure, flooding'. I have a somewhat cynical view of road closures so chose to ignore it. Sure enough, no flooding. Went past the  'emergency road closure, flooding' sign at the end of the 'apparent' flood. Carried on for a mile, 12 inch deep water on the road with no signage whatsoever.

I've noticed a growing trend in unnecessary road closures, inaccurate diversions signs and 2 (or more) way temporary traffic lights when there's no work going on. Such is the frequency of these occurrences I feel it's only a matter of time before all such signage/ traffic lights are routinely ignored or otherwise, deposited into the nearest hedge.   

21 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Around Poynton in Cheshire this morning on my motor bike. Road closed because of a collapsed bridge so took the alternative signposted diversion. Half way along this road, sign in the middle of the road 'emergency road closure, flooding'. I have a somewhat cynical view of road closures so chose to ignore it. Sure enough, no flooding. Went past the  'emergency road closure, flooding' sign at the end of the 'apparent' flood. Carried on for a mile, 12 inch deep water on the road with no signage whatsoever.

I've noticed a growing trend in unnecessary road closures, inaccurate diversions signs and 2 (or more) way temporary traffic lights when there's no work going on. Such is the frequency of these occurrences I feel it's only a matter of time before all such signage/ traffic lights are routinely ignored or otherwise, deposited into the nearest hedge.   

I don't suppose it is possible one flood drained after the signs were put out and the other started.    No totally impossible such an unlikely situation.

It's a live situation. As has been said things change. 

With all the resources available there's no way road closures can be 100% accurate. 

Thank God you know better though TWC. There's plenty of people who have ignored closures and then needed rescuing. 

10 minutes ago, cougie said:

It's a live situation. As has been said things change. 

With all the resources available there's no way road closures can be 100% accurate. 

Thank God you know better though TWC. There's plenty of people who have ignored closures and then needed rescuing. 

There was a possibility I could have needed rescuing, I rode along the pavement where the water was a little shallower. As I said, the road was open, no warning signs about a flood or anything. There was no possibility of me needing to be recused from the 'emergency closure' section; the road was as dry as a bone.  

The Chesterfield Canal was closed to navigation along it's entire eastern section yesterday (32 miles) which is a bit ironic as it was probably the first time for years that deep draughted boats could have got along it without touching the bottom :) 

The problems started up the top end at Kiveton Park. The railway station was closed due to flooding and the canal lies in a deep cutting below the canal so you can imagine how much water was finding any way it could to get into the canal. The towpath's were under water as the bywashes looked like white water rapids.

Photo credit to Lisa Munday:

75492437_2848551088541755_84247689316878

75543602_2848551325208398_48921985101468

75442979_2848551351875062_30105248604734

Then you move down to the lovely community of Shireoaks where a huge number of properties were inundated by water when The Ryton burst its banks. 

The social club where Python moors was flooded:

76643716_3832926213399474_89329065769020

https://www.facebook.com/rachel.barrowcliffe/videos/2778422375523399/

I have to say that I have found the way the Shireoaks community has pulled together in the face of such dreadful adversity so heartwarming. People were up all night sweeping water away, filling sandbags, directing traffic, handing out tea and cake offering spare rooms and beds, taking in pets - what a wonderful community they are! 

Then onto Worksop and that has been really badly hit. I have seen a post by Bassetlaw Council saying over 200 properties have been affected by flooding. Homes and a town centre that was struggling anyway. This photo sums up the situation I think:

74661821_2596523780404938_29211803537815

The canal enters the frame in the bottom left corner. To the left of that is a lake/nature reserve on reclaimed land. For those who are familiar with the canal there is a winding hole just off the bottom of the photo. The large square of water in the centre is the cricket field and the large white buidling above it is The Priory Shopping Centre. One of the main shopping streets in Worksop is to the right of that under water. 

Further downstream at Clayworth on our mooring the water was the highest anyone at our club has ever known it. 

75339609_10157531354999070_9097621948547

Can you see that armco under the water? That is usually fully above water and we are on the longest pond on the canal. There were a lot of tight ropes on our moorings yesterday! The water is also VERY brown today so when the levels recover we can expect it to be even shallower! 

That water was all making it's way down the canal adding to even more water that was draining into the canal further down. This was the situation at Misterton Bottom lock. This is the last lock before West Stockwith and as you can see, with the water over the towpath  the bywash was running very fast. Video credit to Stephanie Cox

https://www.facebook.com/stephanie.cox.1654/videos/2590705584285945/

Meanwhile on the unconnected end the community of Barrow Hill they came close to being cut off by flooding of the majority of the routes into and out of the village. 

72126522_3177277485621168_10466460478556

At Tapton the Rother went into spate and caused flooding of homes and businesses. Hollingwood Hub is often at risk in these circumstances. 

To assist with moving the water down and away from properties the paddles were raised at Hollingwood lock. 

This was a good plan but then the local river levels returned to being contained within their banks at some point in the night when nobody was about to close the paddles on the lock so today there is a different problem there:

74675000_10159012119577892_4128994989290

Sigh..