USB help, I'm not a nerd. I don't think.

bizzard

Featured Posts

I charge Apple devices, both iPhone and iPad from generic USB ports that I have installed all over the boat, powered fron the 12V system.  All works fine, with one one caveat that iPads like to have 2.1A and will often refuse to charge from a 1A USB port.

I have used this type, they come in different configurations, and can be cheaper if you wait for delivery from China.  I have added a small switch to them, I don’t like 5he idea if 5hem being powered up fron the 12V when not in use.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Car-SUV-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Splitter-Dual-USB-Power-Adapter-Charger-Kit/192546551210?hash=item2cd4ab35aa:g:DIgAAOSwN2VbAtRs

25 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I charge Apple devices, both iPhone and iPad from generic USB ports that I have installed all over the boat, powered fron the 12V system.  All works fine, with one one caveat that iPads like to have 2.1A and will often refuse to charge from a 1A USB port.

I have used this type, they come in different configurations, and can be cheaper if you wait for delivery from China.  I have added a small switch to them, I don’t like 5he idea if 5hem being powered up fron the 12V when not in use.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Car-SUV-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Splitter-Dual-USB-Power-Adapter-Charger-Kit/192546551210?hash=item2cd4ab35aa:g:DIgAAOSwN2VbAtRs

I also have lots of these and share you concern, a friend had one burst into flames on her boat. I get mine from Amazon as I think Amazon are possibly a bit better than eBay at avoiding the really cheap dodgy stuff. Not sure how much leccy all the built in LEDs are consuming, but they do look good, especially the blue ones. Some also have a little voltmeter built in. There is a USB C PD version now available but have not tried it yet.

..............Dave

11 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Close the rubber cover then. :)

Which you probably removed and put in the bin as they are irritating.......

As an aside, I find the more recently available QC3 compliant chargers to be more compatible with fast charging.  My phone will only slow charge with most, but always fast charge with the QC3 compliant chargers.

• Greenie 1

On 07/11/2019 at 12:33, dmr said:

It all gets much more complicated with USB C as at least some USB cables have a chip in them, so before charging (especially with PD) I suspect devices can talk to both the charger and the cable to decide what sort of charging to do.

USB C is designed to negotiate charging rate so you can get really fast charges, if no negotiation I believe it defaults to 0.5A same as old USB on a computer.  I believe they can also change from 5V to 12V if requested. A lot more complicated to confuse and break.

On 07/11/2019 at 12:04, Machpoint005 said:

I was running a Windows XP system for donkey's years after MS ended support for that. I wouldn't worry so long as my antivirus software (Avast!) was up to date.

I still have 2 servers that are running windows 2000, they do their job and aren't exposed to the internet so unless somebody plugs a supported usb stick in (not many supported by 2000) they are pretty safe

2 hours ago, Detling said:

USB C is designed to negotiate charging rate so you can get really fast charges, if no negotiation I believe it defaults to 0.5A same as old USB on a computer.  I believe they can also change from 5V to 12V if requested. A lot more complicated to confuse and break.

I think they can switch between 3 different voltages. I like the idea of a single universal charger/connector, it will be great not having to keep a box of loads of different cables on the boat, but I do fear it might all be a bit too complicated with cables looking the same but behaving differently. My other big concern is that there are a lot of very small contacts within the connector which is not a recipe for reliability, especially as some quite high currents are involved. I note that a few websites say that if you have charging problems try turning the connector over.

................Dave

On 07/11/2019 at 12:04, Machpoint005 said:

I was running a Windows XP system for donkey's years after MS ended support for that. I wouldn't worry so long as my antivirus software (Avast!) was up to date.

XP,  the best ever. 

29 minutes ago, Slim said:

XP,  the best ever. 

Not really.  Since NT I would say each version (except vista) has got better.  I always set the ui to be as close to a mid 90’s NT as possible though, but the ability to install software, configure printers gets better and better.  Very happy with Windows 10.

However, doing some clearing out at the moment and in my study I had an old desktop computer that had not been powered up for many years.  I connected a monitor and keyboard and fired up the old XP machine last week to get some old photos off it.  To do that I had to run a long RJ45 cable to the router as it does my have wifi (yes we did really have machines with no wifi), so it was actually connected to the internet.  After I had got the photos off it I shut it down to scrap it, and bless it as it shut down it started installing updates.  It made me a bit sad to take the hard disk out and smash it before taking it to the tip ?

14 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Not really.  Since NT I would say each version (except vista) has got better.  I always set the ui to be as close to a mid 90’s NT as possible though, but the ability to install software, configure printers gets better and better.  Very happy with Windows 10.

However, doing some clearing out at the moment and in my study I had an old desktop computer that had not been powered up for many years.  I connected a monitor and keyboard and fired up the old XP machine last week to get some old photos off it.  To do that I had to run a long RJ45 cable to the router as it does my have wifi (yes we did really have machines with no wifi), so it was actually connected to the internet.  After I had got the photos off it I shut it down to scrap it, and bless it as it shut down it started installing updates.  It made me a bit sad to take the hard disk out and smash it before taking it to the tip ?

So like a faithful dog doing it’s best to keep up you shot it in the head........

• Sad 1

:unsure:  Hello fellow laptop nerds once again. Having fixed the USB problem on my most beautiful Toshiba L300 Settalite laptop running on Vista,  I now have trouble with it starting up and the ''Start up'' repair black screen told me it is a hard drive fault. It does do a lazy heavy double clunk now and often won't start at all. It is worse now its chillier. I've discovered that if I rest the machine upon a hot water bottle for five minutes it starts up fine but still with the heavy clunks.

I had it to bits, and can renew the H/D in 2 minutes flat.  I have ordered a new H/D.   After fitting it are there likely to be any problems other than the normal re-setting of stuff.   Also what will I lose by renewing it. Are most things retained on the memory card?  Thank you.

Edited by bizzard

51 minutes ago, bizzard said:

:unsure:  Hello fellow laptop nerds once again. Having fixed the USB problem on my most beautiful Toshiba L300 Settalite laptop running on Vista,  I now have trouble with it starting up and the ''Start up'' repair black screen told me it is a hard drive fault. It does do a lazy heavy double clunk now and often won't start at all. It is worse now its chillier. I've discovered that if I rest the machine upon a hot water bottle for five minutes it starts up fine but still with the heavy clunks.

I had it to bits, and can renew the H/D in 2 minutes flat.  I have ordered a new H/D.   After fitting it are there likely to be any problems other than the normal re-setting of stuff.   Also what will I lose by renewing it. Are most things retained on the memory card?  Thank you.

Most, if not all of your files wI'll be on your old hard drive.

What you need to do is install your new hard drive and install your operating system onto it.  Then you can put your old hard drive into one of these USB caddy's.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RSHTECH-External-Enclosure-Portable-Support-Black/dp/B07CNZLFGZ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?adgrpid=71392219119&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2b7uBRDsARIsAEE9XpE4tSG-VHIjXfWKbyR9yjcNCtqdq5O6A1hU3ftuqHQRmk12myQVTH8aAp-4EALw_wcB&hvadid=357747001095&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=1007147&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=11157628626298929372&hvtargid=kwd-343776113484&hydadcr=18857_1722167&keywords=drive+caddy+3.5&qid=1573909648&smid=AZKZDI7KFD5ZL&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzOVNUM00yWjhJSTJGJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjM0NDE2Mk9UWVFGVE1DU1QwTCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzU4NDc4MTJIVU5CUzc0S0RGNyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Then copy the files you want from the old hard drive onto the new hard drive.

11 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Thanks Cuthound.  I do have most important stuff like email, this forum ect duplicated on my other windows 10 notebook. Will my or any H/D fit in the above device.

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Thanks Cuthound.  I do have most important stuff like email, this forum ect duplicated on my other windows 10 notebook. Will my or any H/D fit in the above device.

Yes, most laptops have a 2.5" hard drive whilst tower type PC's and really ancient laptops have 3.5"drives.

The caddy I linked to takes both sizes.

28 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Yes, most laptops have a 2.5" hard drive whilst tower type PC's and really ancient laptops have 3.5"drives.

The caddy I linked to takes both sizes.

Ok, thanks. I might buy one.

if you can use the new drive as an external drive (like in the caddy linked) you can use a bit of software called "SelfImage" (https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/selfimage.html) which can clone your original hard drive to the new drive. (will need to be run as administrator)

be warned cloning the drive may take several hours (my record for a failing drive being cloned was 26 hours for a 1tb drive)

then swap the new drive into the place of the old one and carry on with no losses or changes. (just make sure the new drive is the same size or bigger than your original)

I use the software on a weekly basis to keep cloned copies of several servers hard drives, then if a real drive fails I can bring it back from a clone within a couple of hours (or minutes if I run it as a virtual machine... but that's a whole other can of worms)

Ahoy folks.  My new Hard drive has arrived and so has the H/D Caddy.  Do I put the new H/D into my laptop first , switch it on and initialize it by following on screen instructions. Then stick the old H/D in the Caddy connect up to transfer its data onto the new H/D following onscreen instructions.  The tiny instruction leaflet with the Caddy is not very clear.  Thank you for any advice.  :unsure:

I also have the Windows Vista installation CD disc  would I need to use it?

Also, do I need to be connected to the internet to do all this.

Edited by bizzard

4 hours ago, bizzard said:

Ahoy folks.  My new Hard drive has arrived and so has the H/D Caddy.  Do I put the new H/D into my laptop first , switch it on and initialize it by following on screen instructions. Then stick the old H/D in the Caddy connect up to transfer its data onto the new H/D following onscreen instructions.  The tiny instruction leaflet with the Caddy is not very clear.  Thank you for any advice.  :unsure:

I also have the Windows Vista installation CD disc  would I need to use it?

Also, do I need to be connected to the internet to do all this.

Yes, put the new hard drive into the laptop, switch it on and initialize it by following on screen instructions.

Then load your Windows Vista CD so it installs onto your new hard drive.

Then stick the old H/D into the Caddy, connect up to transfer its data onto the new H/D following onscreen instructions. Use two Windows Explorer screens to copy your personal files from caddy to new hard drive, unless you have disc imaging software.

No need to be connected to the internet for file copying.

You will also need to reinstall any word processing, spreadsheet etc. software onto you new hard drive to be able to access your personal files.

Edited by cuthound
To add the last paragraph
  • Greenie 1

4 hours ago, cuthound said:

Yes, put the new hard drive into the laptop, switch it on and initialize it by following on screen instructions.

Then load your Windows Vista CD so it installs onto your new hard drive.

Then stick the old H/D into the Caddy, connect up to transfer its data onto the new H/D following onscreen instructions. Use two Windows Explorer screens to copy your personal files from caddy to new hard drive, unless you have disc imaging software.

No need to be connected to the internet for file copying.

You will also need to reinstall any word processing, spreadsheet etc. software onto you new hard drive to be able to access your personal files.

Many thanks cuthound. I shall have a bash at it on Friday, I'm busy until then.