Stern Gland Packing

Old Son

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...

Do I need to buy a gland packing removal tool or is there an easy way without the special tool? My packing is 8mm by the way.

I know it is recommended to fit 3 rows of packing material. Is there any problem in fitting more?

Lastly, is it worth covering the new packing in grease before it is fitted, might help with installation.

Thanks

On 11/11/2019 at 17:24, Tony Brooks said:

Where is graphite on the galvanic scale compared with mild steel, stainless steel, brass and aluminium? I suspect that may explain why graphite packing might not be ideal but can't see it mattering so much in fresh water.

Graphite is 'way up' above Gold.

The rest of the boat would disappear before the Graphite.

Image result for graphite on the galvanic scale chart

1 minute ago, Old Son said:

Do I need to buy a gland packing removal tool or is there an easy way without the special tool? My packing is 8mm by the way.

I know it is recommended to fit 3 rows of packing material. Is there any problem in fitting more?

Lastly, is it worth covering the new packing in grease before it is fitted, might help with installation.

Thanks

8mm, 5/16'' is the most popular. You might be able to screw a long self tapping screw into it and pull it out with pliers, or a  pricker with a bent end to pick it out. The thing is to make sure its all out as any bits or strands left in there are likely to get shoved further by the new packing inbetween shaft and bearing tube and jam the shaft up. When you think its all out run, say a screw driver blade around in there and you will feel any bits left behind.  3 rings are ok as long as the pusher enters properly and you can get the nuts and lock nuts all on. 

2 hours ago, Old Son said:

Thanks

Some folks use long screws, I prefer one of these however:

2 hours ago, Old Son said:

Thanks

1. No you don't NEED to, I use a star headed screw.

2. Not as long as its is till a few mm down the "tube". If its proud or flush you will have a job getting the pusher in. Anyway some glands use more then three turns.

3. I do, but then I like getting messy. It won't help installation, it may make it more difficult, but it will give some additional lubrication when first run. May or may not do any good but it won't do harm.

• Greenie 1

On 07/11/2019 at 09:04, Joe Bourke said:

Slide the clamp back, use drill bits to test the fit along the prop shaft into the gland.  You could use pencils, pens, or crayons to give you an idea and measure them.

This is a really good idea - I wish I had thought of it!  A boatyard used some too thin packing on mine once and I had trouble ,

making a seal so I pulled it out and tried the thicker sort - which wouldn't fit. However, its pliable so I tapped it with a hammer and turned the square profile into a rectangle till it slid in with a snug fit. Result was no drips for years with just the occasional tightening.

• Greenie 1

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone. I thought I should just add some real life experience on the topic. I just had mine done in the water and after chit chatting/observing with the engineer the sum of his expertise is that in most cases you can repack while in the water  - although he mentioned one rare type of set-up that leaks masses while you're doing the job (I unfortunately did not jot down the name) so I guess a good bilge pump and nerves may always be handy. Mine did not leak at all (see pic of mine to identify type) and was easily repacked while on the canal. He literally just wiped off all grease, unscrewed the nuts and slid it back to discover that I had the impressive amount of 0 packing left.... ? and then cut two pieces to size, hammered them flat and squeezed them in before tightening it all up again. Piece of cake, so I will do it myself next time. He used graphite, btw and he is an engineer with very very solid reputation on the Grand Union, although he didn't seem to feel there was a massive difference which you use.

I hope this assists someone in the future. ? Also, found a good link for the dizzying amounts of stern gland set-ups out there.... if anyone fancies the extracurricular activity or to identify their own. http://coxeng.co.uk/stern-gear/stern-glands/ 

20210601_125121.gif

Edited by Lady_Why
clarity

10 minutes ago, Lady_Why said:

............ and then cut two pieces to size, hammered them flat and squeezed them in before tightening it all up again. Piece of cake, so I will do it myself next time. He used graphite, btw and he is an engineer with very very solid reputation on the Grand Union

Are you sure he only put in 2-pieces?  you could be besmirching his 'solid reputation'.

The normal standard is to use 3-pieces with the joints at 120 degrees to each other so as to present a minimum leak path.

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, Lady_Why said:

He literally just wiped off all grease, unscrewed the nuts and slid it back to discover that I had the impressive amount of 0 packing left.... 

I find that hard to believe. Packing does wear in use, but I can't see that it could have worn away to nothing. If that was the case the gland would have been leaking copious quantities of water (and grease) for a long time. I would be concerned that if he took no old packing out, it is still in there behind the new pieces.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you sure he only put in 2-pieces?  you could be besmirching his 'solid reputation'.

The normal standard is to use 3-pieces with the joints at 120 degrees to each other so as to present a minimum leak path.

Definitely 2 pieces with joints as you described. He said in some cases that is enough. I was watching the job he was doing, so I doubt he would risk his reputation on something as small/non-costly as that. He packed each individually tight by pressing/pushing them in with the slider. If people can fit in 3 and get the nuts back on, then of course go with 3. 

49 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I find that hard to believe. Packing does wear in use, but I can't see that it could have worn away to nothing. If that was the case the gland would have been leaking copious quantities of water (and grease) for a long time. I would be concerned that if he took no old packing out, it is still in there behind the new pieces.

Prior to him coming, the gland had been on/off dripping heavily and the grease had been coming out on the inside for quite a while (I was not aware that the grease is meant to go 'outwards' rather than 'inside' and that a build up of grease around the gland is suggestive that it is time to repack). I asked if he had removed the old packing, which was when he said there was nothing left (I am guessing that minor remnants had deteriorated and become part of the grease that was removed ). Even while he was working there was no water coming through. I am not an engineer though, so I am not sure why no water was coming through while working, but as an eye witness I can confirm it. 

35 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Perhaps the muck was doing the job?

Hammered it flat? Why?

Always done them in the water, a poly bag wrapped around the shaft forward of the prop will stop any leak.

Presumably to more easily fit them in and ensure the fit is snug. 

Edited by Lady_Why

28 minutes ago, Lady_Why said:

Presumably to more easily fit them in and ensure the fit is snug. 

Having a less than favourable impression of many so called engineers on the inland waters and taking into account he only got two rings in I suspect he used the  wrong sized packing so as he flattened it, it got wider thereby preventing the third ring being fitted.

When he pulled the pusher back did he do anything to search the bottom of the hole like trying to screw soem thing into old packing or poking about with a spike?

13 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Having a less than favourable impression of many so called engineers on the inland waters and taking into account he only got two rings in I suspect he used the  wrong sized packing so as he flattened it, it got wider thereby preventing the third ring being fitted.

When he pulled the pusher back did he do anything to search the bottom of the hole like trying to screw soem thing into old packing or poking about with a spike?

I had to go away briefly to get a hammer for him, so that was the one stage I missed. Hence, why I asked if he had removed the old packing (since I didn't see it). Tbh, that is pretty basic, so I can't see why he would 'not have done it'. Your reasoning on flattening sounds fair though, but he did measure it before going back to the car to get the packing. 

In the end I can only share (1) engineer's reputation on the cut so others can evaluate the value of the source (2) what I observed, and (3) what answers I got to my questions. The rest would require a crystal ball. 

I should add that out of 4 engineers on this stretch (one of which is a suspected cowboy), he has the best reputation and people will cruise to 'his area' in order to get his service. I do keep my ear to the ground on the particular stretch I cruise. He may not be perfect, but word tends to spread if your jobs are dodgy and I chat to a lot of people. So whatever expertise he is presenting is built on his experience. Should I get reason to suspect his expertise on gland packing, I will come back and post an honest retraction. I don't invest pride in these things. But since it is a relatively easy job and his reputations goes back years, I find it hard to believe he would not know how to do it at this point or know how to to it but risk his reputation by doing a sloppy job.  

People are at liberty, of course, to take away from this whatever they want. I am only sharing the experience. My primary reason for posting was that a lot of people seem to take their boats out of the water for this job, and it seems unnecessary.

Edited by Lady_Why