Stern Gland Packing

Old Son

Featured Posts

*we can speculate that he went back to the car, couldn't find the required size (8mm) and used 10mm that he flattened with the hammer - without informing me. This is feasible, but his reputation suggest he would only have done so if he deemed it to work 'as well' as three rings of 8mm. If it doesn't drip for the next few years, I guess the work is good. 

36 minutes ago, Lady_Why said:

*we can speculate that he went back to the car, couldn't find the required size (8mm) and used 10mm that he flattened with the hammer - without informing me. This is feasible, but his reputation suggest he would only have done so if he deemed it to work 'as well' as three rings of 8mm. If it doesn't drip for the next few years, I guess the work is good. 

I agree with your conclusion.

• Greenie 1

Personally I'd use the correct size stuff, seen, dealt with so much trouble in the past with wrong size packing, jammed shafts, burn't out gearboxes. Graphite packing is really more ideal for steam engine cylinder-steam chest ect glands which are difficult to lubricate even with the specially thick steam oil used.

On 11/06/2021 at 17:21, bizzard said:

Personally I'd use the correct size stuff, seen, dealt with so much trouble in the past with wrong size packing, jammed shafts, burn't out gearboxes. Graphite packing is really more ideal for steam engine cylinder-steam chest ect glands which are difficult to lubricate even with the specially thick steam oil used.

If any problem arises from it, I'll let the group know for future reference.