Need to insure my new 48ft Narrowboat

TheSaintlyOne

Featured Posts

Need to insure my 48ft Narrowboat Project that will be on a continuous cruising licence starting on the Grand unio in London and initially spending time moving eastwards to the river lea

Any Reccomendations ????

Also what cover should I go for third party or Boat (Hull & Machinery) and third party

Any info greatly recieved 

3 minutes ago, TheSaintlyOne said:

Need to insure my 48ft Narrowboat Project that will be on a continuous cruising licence starting on the Grand unio in London and initially spending time moving eastwards to the river lea

Any Reccomendations ????

Also what cover should I go for third party or Boat (Hull & Machinery) and third party

Any info greatly recieved 

The choice is yours :

If I remember it is an old boat with a wood/ fibreglass cabin and you didn't have a survey done when you bought it.

If you go 3rd party then obviously the boat and its contents will not be insured if it is broken into or sinks, but the plus side is you won't need a survey.

If you go 'fully comp' then it will need a survey and any work identified as needed doing must be done.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The choice is yours :

If I remember it is an old boat with a wood/ fibreglass cabin and you didn't have a survey done when you bought it.

If you go 3rd party then obviously the boat and its contents will not be insured if it is broken into or sinks, but the plus side is you won't need a survey.

If you go 'fully comp' then it will need a survey and any work identified as needed doing must be done.

Yes you remember correctly. Thanks for clarifying that. Third party it is then for now. 

10 minutes ago, TheSaintlyOne said:

Yes you remember correctly. Thanks for clarifying that. Third party it is then for now. 

Never used them but these offer 'cheap 3rd party cover'.

https://www.insure4boats.co.uk/?ref=PPCBI4B78&msclkid=bef894891c9415e4080ac94be35bd131&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand - (EM)&utm_term=insure 4 boats&utm_content=Brand - Insure 4 - (EM)&gclid=CMvCyKCL1uUCFdYRGwodTkUDMA&gclsrc=ds

23 minutes ago, Athy said:

No, they do comprehensive as well - we changed to them last year.

Maybe I didn't phrase it correctly.

Do CraftInsure offer Third Party (only) as opposed to TPFT, or Fully Comp. ?

It doesn't appear to be an option of their website.

(I have been with CraftInsure for about 10 years)

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Basic Boat Liability Company also offer very reasonable third party only cover.

https://www.basic-boat.com.

All done online and very straightforward.

51 minutes ago, TheSaintlyOne said:

Thanks everyone went with Craft Insure as insure4boats seemed to want a survey regardless. And as it's a stripped out project boat I would only be getting a survey done on the Hull..

£8.99 per month 

Is that TP or fully comp ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

That was Third Party Only. I guess if that's the case it will have to have a survey but I was under the impression a survey is not needed for a boat on third party as they are not insuring the boat rather you as a boat user against collision etc I will look into it. The boat will be coming out for blacking in the new year anyway so can do it then if needs be. 

23 minutes ago, TheSaintlyOne said:

That was Third Party Only. I guess if that's the case it will have to have a survey but I was under the impression a survey is not needed for a boat on third party as they are not insuring the boat rather you as a boat user against collision etc I will look into it. The boat will be coming out for blacking in the new year anyway so can do it then if needs be. 

Correct - you would not normally need a survey for TP - they are not insuring 'your boat' only anything else you hit, so have no interest in your boat's condition.

I guess if (for example) the steering is faulty and as a consequence you hit someone, they may 'squeal' about not maintained etc etc.

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Correct - you would not normally need a survey for TP - they are not insuring 'your boat' only anything else you hit, so have no interest in your boat's condition.

I guess if (for example) the steering is faulty and as a consequence you hit someone, they may 'squeal' about not maintained etc etc.

Wreck recovery if it sinks through being full of holes. If its coming out for Blacking and survey why not wait until then before fitting out in case you need any repairs?

• 3 months later...

Hi all. I've insured my boat through craftinsure for the last 3 years and they seem to consistently come out with low quotes - £106 this year for a 52 foot narrowboat. When I go on comparison sites (cetapremium.net which is supppsed to be for boats) or just check any of the regular names you see in waterways world etc, it always comes out a lot more,  sometimes double. Should I be worried, e.g. re cover levels?

Have any of you ever made a claim with craftinsure and what was your experience?

Thanks in advance for any knowledge. 

Jon

No experience with craftinsure but that may well be a competitive quote. A few years ago we had a 60' insured with Nav & Gen; the premium had steadily risen over 20 years without any claims to just under £300 pa fully comp. I did some ringing around for my folks and got fully comp insurance value 30k plus 3k contents for under a hundred quid based on previous record of having no claims.  That was with Newton Crum, underwritten by a LLoyd's syndicate. Didn't have to claim before the boat was sold 18 months ago but they seemed professional and knowledgeable. Lots of people on here mention craftinsure so I'm guessing that they are similar, giving a real figure than significantly inflating each year to see what premium you will bear.

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Icleles next moorings up one boat sank, insured with craftinsure boat raised fast engine cleaned out they paid out and allowed owners to buy back the boat,  I am happy to say I have the same company 

Thanks, that sounds like a good recommendation. 

I have hull and machinery cover (plus frost, a bunch of personal accident stuff etc and so forth on one boat) as well as third party. Didn't need to send my survey details for it as far as I can see (oldest boat is 1986). Some places did ask, insure4boats (who I are Royal Sun Alliance's boat bit) didn't. They were cheap and easy for the first boat so second is with them too. Not had to claim for anything yet so can't comment on that side of things.

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat