Tiller is not in line with the rudder

clendee

Featured Posts

Hi folks,

I have a newly purchased boat and the tiller arm is not in line with the rudder, it is out by approx 5 degrees.

Is this something that is necessary to fix, if so is it something that  can be repaired while the boat is still in the water?

Thanks.

new boat or old boat newly bought. Maybe able to undo fixing nut and have enough play to re-tighten nut with tiller in line. look at back of boat where rudder shaft attaches to tiller swan neck unless it is attached differently

7 minutes ago, clendee said:

Hi folks,

I have a newly purchased boat and the tiller arm is not in line with the rudder, it is out by approx 5 degrees.

Is this something that is necessary to fix, if so is it something that  can be repaired while the boat is still in the water?

Thanks.

Dont worry - next time you hit a log / shopping trolley / Motorcycle / Safe / TV etc etc it will get knocked again - may be even 5 degrees in the opposite direction

• Greenie 1

hahaha, thanks for your reassurance.  Much appreciated.

3 minutes ago, Tonka said:

new boat or old boat newly bought. Maybe able to undo fixing nut and have enough play to re-tighten nut with tiller in line. look at back of boat where rudder shaft attaches to tiller swan neck unless it is attached differently

Old boat, newly bought.

16 minutes ago, Tractor said:

My tiller is attached to the tiller post on a taper, held in place by a hex head screw. Take out the screw, waggle the tiller and it should lift off.

After thrashing it for half an hour with two sledge hammers.

The tiller on our boat was a few degrees out of line with the rudder, which puzzled me at first. Eventually it dawned upon me that if it had been in lne with the rudder, the boat would have moved to port because of "prop action" hence the few degrees off centre to counteract this.

• Greenie 2

Belfast's tiller has been out of line since we bought the boat 2 1/2 years ago. It just isn't a problem, providing you steer by looking where the boat is going, and not where the tiller is pointing. We have had the odd visitor confused when they kept the tiller in line with the centre of the boat, then wondered why it steered straight up the bank.

4 hours ago, clendee said:

Hi folks,

Thanks.

Ours was easy to sort.  Big bolt on the top of the boss, undo it and the swan neck moves freely.  When out on the cut one of us held the boat in line (regardless of where the tiller was pointing) whist the other marked the centre of the boss with a Sharpie, then when moored up, just centred the swan neck to the mark.  Job done...

29 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Been there, done that

5 years  or 50 years, if less than 20 what make 

The boat was built in 1991 built by Saraband Boats.  45ft.  Cruiser Stern.

I know absolutely nothing about boats, seemed like a good idea at the time.

Edited by clendee

8 hours ago, clendee said:

Hi folks,

Thanks.

Nothing to worry about.

23 hours ago, The Dreamer said:

Ours was easy to sort.  Big bolt on the top of the boss, undo it and the swan neck moves freely.  

Ours is a very big nut 38mm - had to buy a 3/4 inch socket set...

there’s a joke in there somewhere about the big nut holding the tiller .... 

8 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

there’s a joke in there somewhere about the big nut holding the tiller .... 

I am sure there is, but I’m in no position to call another boater a “nut”.  We named our boat in homage to what we believed to be a song by the Carpenters, only to discover, post sign writing, that it was in fact originally written for the Muppets!