Chimney Collar

tjh82

Featured Posts

Hi. 

My chimney needs some attention the chimney collar which is cast its the standard flat one you get from a marina and the boat roof is curved this causes a space between the roof and the collar am looking to find someone to either make a new collar to fit the gap or make a skirt to go go round the collar please can you help can send pics if needed.

Can you get an angled collar if not can you get one made out of steel with the extra bits added on I could do with some sort of a template.

12 hours ago, narrowboatmarcus20201970. said:

My chimney needs some attention the chimney collar which is cast its the standard flat one you get from a marina and the boat roof is curved this causes a space between the roof and the collar

Judicious use of an angle grinder required.

13 hours ago, narrowboatmarcus20201970. said:

Hi. 

My chimney needs some attention the chimney collar which is cast its the standard flat one you get from a marina and the boat roof is curved this causes a space between the roof and the collar am looking to find someone to either make a new collar to fit the gap or make a skirt to go go round the collar please can you help can send pics if needed.

Can you get an angled collar if not can you get one made out of steel with the extra bits added on I could do with some sort of a template.

We had one made of hardwood in 2014, Not had any trouble with burning as there is an air gap between the lower part of the collar and the wood.

20140812_111624.jpg

DSCF1745.jpg

DSCF4011.jpg

Edited by Ray T

Do you mean you need an angled collar because your chimney leans outwards or your roof is so curved,''like a Liverpool narrowboats roof'' that there are gaps on both the long sides. You can get angled collars. If its the gaps use P38 body filler or Plastic Padding will do fine.  First draw around the collar onto the roof its shape with a felt tip pen. Have a sheet of polythene or cling film handy with a hole in the middle. Work FAST now. Mix your body filler. Build a low wall about 3/4'' wide around pen mark. Place the cling film around on the wall. Lay the collar in place on top. Press down gently. Leave it for 20 mins. Remove collar and cling film Leave the filler a few hours to harden. You can then run sealant around the wall, place the collar on and bolt it down. easy though, not too tight. Trim or grind off excess filler from around the edge and paint it black.  I've done this on about three Liverpool boats works well. The heat from the flue pipe is not too hot at the perifery of the collar.  But you must work fast with the filler and don't use too much Hardener.   Don't forget to clean the the area on the roof well before you begin. The filler wall should be no more than about 1/2'' high on the long sides of the collar.

• Greenie 1

Hi.