Engine oil waste, cruising communities & river cruising

grockell

Featured Posts

Hi,

I've been living afloat now for a couple months and generally speaking everything has been self-explanatory. However, I have a few questions I was hoping some of the more experienced boaters out there could answer for me.

1) I've been mopping up the dregs of oil and water which has been collecting in my engine bay. It hasn't been that much, but now after a couple months  I have filled a bucket. Where can this be responsibly disposed of? A local recycling centre? marina? Do the CRT offer any services for this?

2) I have met so many friendly and interesting people on my travels so far. However, these generally have been in passing or for short periods of time. Can anyone recommend ways they have made friends within the canal world? Also, are there communities of continual cruisers who travel around together? is this a thing?

3) I'm planning to cruise along the River Nene at the end of the month to hopefully moor up at Northampton Marina / Billing Marina to moor up until March/April. I am yet to cruise on a river. Anything pressing I should know? I found an anchor on board, which I heard is required on the rivers?

Many thanks for your help!

George

15 minutes ago, grockell said:

Hi,

I've been living afloat now for a couple months and generally speaking everything has been self-explanatory. However, I have a few questions I was hoping some of the more experienced boaters out there could answer for me.

1) I've been mopping up the dregs of oil and water which has been collecting in my engine bay. It hasn't been that much, but now after a couple months  I have filled a bucket. Where can this be responsibly disposed of? A local recycling centre? marina? Do the CRT offer any services for this?

2) I have met so many friendly and interesting people on my travels so far. However, these generally have been in passing or for short periods of time. Can anyone recommend ways they have made friends within the canal world? Also, are there communities of continual cruisers who travel around together? is this a thing?

3) I'm planning to cruise along the River Nene at the end of the month to hopefully moor up at Northampton Marina / Billing Marina to moor up until March/April. I am yet to cruise on a river. Anything pressing I should know? I found an anchor on board, which I heard is required on the rivers?

George

There used to be regular piss ups organised via the forum, sadly stopped but there is the loughborough Christmas banter, everyone welcome.

The BCN challenge is a good way to meet a load of boaters, plus the BCN society do regular organised cruises.

The Loughborough Banter is a good way to get to meet people. It is held in a pub and food is laid on more details can be found here https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/103618-loughborough-christmas-antidote-banter-monday-december-30th-2019/

I need to go and talk to the pub - its a job for one night this week. 

To answer some of your questions - there are many boat blogs some are posted on a daily basis others less frequently. Many also list other blogs that they follow. We usually look at Freespirit https://nbfreespirit.blogspot.com/ Oleanna https://oleanna.co.uk/  Where I belong http://diaryofaboatwoman.blogspot.com/  and Chalkhill Blue http://nbchalkhillblue.blogspot.com/

There are many others and you do meet the bloggers on your journey. Also if you are based in an area you get to know the local boaters.

As far as disposal of waste oil - you can generally separate the oils and water - oil floats. Water can go in a hedge bottom oil is more difficult some boatyards may take it especially if you buy replacement oil or a tank of diesel from them. There are some household waste sites close to canals but it can be difficult for pedestrians to get access, they may also restrict access to local users. Loughborough HWRC is only 200m from the canal and Wakefields is canal side but you need to use the vehicle access.

With regards to rivers you need an anchor and some chain and a good length of rope to attach it to the boat. You need to be aware of river levels. The Nene does flood and the EA give notice when it is in flood. I've not yet been on the Nene so can't give anymore advice on it. The Nene is managed by the EA and you will need a separate licence for it.

Happy boating

Richard

In winter the part of the Nene that you are going on is a sometimes navigable flood control system ;)

Once the red flag is flying there are flood gates that operate without warning..........

Its only a short hop to Billing but do check the SSA (strong stream advice) and don't chance it or you will get stuck.

Personally I would stay at Northampton Billing is not for me.

28 minutes ago, Richard T said:

With regards to rivers you need an anchor and some chain and a good length of rope to attach it to the boat.

Thanks for your help. I've done a little research online and found some information about setting up an anchor. The videos I watched on Youtube show the anchor being released from the bow. Considering that I am a solo cruiser, would it be wiser to have it on the stern, or is the bow essential? I was thinking a heavy, 2m length of chain and a 5m length of rope, does that sound about right?

I'm also assuming the actual use of the anchor is purely for emergency use only and that the chances are I'll (hopefully, touch wood) will never have to use it?

22 minutes ago, grockell said:

I was thinking a heavy, 2m length of chain and a 5m length of rope, does that sound about right?

No.

You need to have an absolute minimum of 3x water depth if using 100% chain (5x is better) so if the water is 3 metres deep you should ideally have a minimum of 15 metres of 10mm chain.

If using rope then you need 10x water depth.

What type of anchor is it (post a picture) as some folks have a very peculiar idea of what constitutes an anchor.

As you rightly say - it will only be used in an emergency, and in an emergency you don't want to find :

1) the chain is not long enough to work properly

2) the anchor is not sufficiently heavy

3)the anchor turns out not to be an anchor but a grapnel or a bit of 'bent metal'.

In an emergency you want it to work 1st time.

It is good to practice deploying the anchor and find out how to PROPERLY deploy it (you don't for example just throw it overboard)

If you are single handed, have the anchor attached at the bow and run the chain back to the stern of the boat, attach the anchor to the chain and you can then deploy it from the helm but it will be correctly attached to the bow.

The anchor should not be attached to the T-Stud and you will need to sort out a 'strong point' in the bow for attaching the anchor chain.

It is rare to deliberately anchor a narrowboat, but it has been done.

For emergency use, single handed then it wants to be at the upstream end of the boat, fastened to the same end.  That way if you have to let it go the boat won't need to to a twirl before the pick will take hold.

Your chain and rope lengths are too short.  Put a 0 on each and you will have a decent set up. If money is tight, then 10m of chain and 20m of rope will do.  The chain does nearly all the work when anchoring, so don't stint.

N

8 hours ago, grockell said:

Hi,

George

I recomend the BCN explorer cruise. Great for meeting folk.

18 hours ago, grockell said:

I'm planning to cruise along the River Nene at the end of the month to hopefully moor up at Northampton Marina / Billing Marina to moor up until March/April. I am yet to cruise on a river. Anything pressing I should know? I found an anchor on board, which I heard is required on the rivers?

George

Hi George-

Abington lock closes on the 11th November and wont reopen to Xmas Eve so this will prevent you getting to Billing.

Have a look (if you havent already) at Northampton Marina website

https://www.northamptonmarina.co.uk/

This has all the info you need-get signed up for SSA alerts -(its free) and download the Teamup app for closure info -or look at the website. Nene is closed due to SSA at present.

You have to be a bit of a detective to find the closures sometimes...?

27 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Hi George-

Abington lock closes on the 11th November and wont reopen to Xmas Eve so this will prevent you getting to Billing.

Have a look (if you havent already) at Northampton Marina website

https://www.northamptonmarina.co.uk/

This has all the info you need-get signed up for SSA alerts -(its free) and download the Teamup app for closure info -or look at the website. Nene is closed due to SSA at present.

You have to be a bit of a detective to find the closures sometimes...?

Oh no! this is a disaster, I hadn't realised. I have been checking the CRT stoppages and didn't notice any closures coming up soon!? Or is this a lock in EA waters?

Do you know if there are likely going to be moorings available at Northampton Marina? I had real trouble getting through to the moorings person there last time I tried to make a reservation. Last I heard it's fully booked with a waiting list.

Thanks for the advice regarding the SSA alerts, I'll download that app.

George

2 minutes ago, grockell said:

Oh no! this is a disaster, I hadn't realised. I have been checking the CRT stoppages and didn't notice any closures coming up soon!? Or is this a lock in EA waters?

Do you know if there are likely going to be moorings available at Northampton Marina? I had real trouble getting through to the moorings person there last time I tried to make a reservation. Last I heard it's fully booked with a waiting list.

Thanks for the advice regarding the SSA alerts, I'll download that app.

George

This is EA rivers so you have to check their (Northampton Marina) website or use the app. Basically apart from a week window over Xmas (if it doesnt flood) the River is shut to through traffic until April now. I will try to post the stoppages for you but dont hold your breath lol.

I dont know about moorings-there was one last time I was stuck at that end (SSA on) a few weeks ago-Ive always found Northampton Marina very friendly and helpful so keep trying..

18 hours ago, grockell said:

Thanks for your help. I've done a little research online and found some information about setting up an anchor. The videos I watched on Youtube show the anchor being released from the bow. Considering that I am a solo cruiser, would it be wiser to have it on the stern, or is the bow essential? I was thinking a heavy, 2m length of chain and a 5m length of rope, does that sound about right?

I'm also assuming the actual use of the anchor is purely for emergency use only and that the chances are I'll (hopefully, touch wood) will never have to use it?

Just a friendly word of warning. I do not look at canal stuff on you tube as a general rule, however I once had one come up to watch so I did!!! I then looked at several others often by what it seems are prolific posters. These people give mountains of advice on all things boating and living aboard. It was blatantly obvious to me that apart from much of it being incorrect that many,  in fact nearly all are newbie boaters with less than five years boating. Just be careful what advice you follow!!!!

• Greenie 3

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I doubt the Nen/Nene will come off strong stream advice before the locks shut. 

Me too.

Sat in March at present having not long got off the phone to Rugby Boat Sales to organise crane for road transport to get boat to Crick.

1 hour ago, grockell said:

And are you aware that to navigate the Nene you need a separate EA licence? Your CRT licence covers the Northampton Arm, but doesn't cover the river.

49 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And are you aware that to navigate the Nene you need a separate EA licence? Your CRT licence covers the Northampton Arm, but doesn't cover the river.

Yes, I am thanks. I had planned to get a refund from CRT for my annual membership at the end of November, get a EA annual license for Dec, then hopefully change to a gold licence for 2020. I was just stupid to not check for planned works on EA waters... now I know! 

Luckily I have reserved a space at Northampton Marina now, so crisis averted!

Thank you for everyone's help and advice

George

Edited by grockell
license confusion

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Just a friendly word of warning. I do not look at canal stuff on you tube as a general rule, however I once had one come up to watch so I did!!! I then looked at several others often by what it seems are prolific posters. These people give mountains of advice on all things boating and living aboard. It was blatantly obvious to me that apart from much of it being incorrect that many,  in fact nearly all are newbie boaters with less than five years boating. Just be careful what advice you follow!!!!

Yes!

I waste a lot of time watch some of these too, just for the laugh.

But they're on the internet so they've got to be right, innit.

Regarding the disposal of old oil I've seen plenty of 5l oil containers dropped at CRT waste sites. I'm sure CRT wouldn't thank the boaters involve but equally, I'd guess it ends up being disposed of responsibly.

Regarding making friends rather than having lots of passing chats with various boaters: I guess the nature of those who continuously cruise is often that they are comfortable with spending large amounts of time on their own. Those in marinas, possibly less so.

Just now, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Regarding the disposal of old oil I've seen plenty of 5l oil containers dropped at CRT waste sites. I'm sure CRT wouldn't thank the boaters involve but equally, I'd guess it ends up being disposed of responsibly.

Regarding making friends rather than having lots of passing chats with various boaters: I guess the nature of those who continuously cruise is often that they are comfortable with spending large amounts of time on their own. Those in marinas, possibly less so.

Some of the CRT waste sites say not to leave oil or batteries, but the one at Cambrian Wharf tell you not to put them in the bin.