Can a stove be too hot?

robtheplod

Featured Posts

My Stovax Brunel 1A will just about stay in overnight with the vents all shut down.  I put this down to the design of the top vent, which is a fairly loose piece of sliding iron which doesn't seal completely like a wheel on a Squirrel.

However when it is windy the stove will burn quite brightly due to the extra draw.   In the recent winds it seemed to burn more than normal so I am a bit suspicious of the rope seal on the bottom door, so I am going to fit new rope and see if that improves the control.

On 06/11/2019 at 17:34, Richard10002 said:

I used to do that, but at high speed, mine makes an irritating rattle, so I’ve stopped giving it a push to get it going. Can’t be bothered fixing it, and am definitely not buying a new one :) 

Some years back..I took this up with the manufacturers.

They told me that it is designed to do that.

If it gets too hot and risks damage, it lifts the base slightly to cut down the heat. If yours is at high speed , maybe that was the problem.

3 minutes ago, Bobbybass said:

If it gets too hot and risks damage, it lifts the base slightly to cut down the heat. If yours is at high speed , maybe that was the problem.

Yep. Ours has a bimetal? strip on its base. 

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, Bobbybass said:

The thermoelectric module gets destroyed above a certain temperature. 100 to 120C or thereabouts from memory, depending on the type, so this is what the bimetallic strip does. It is also why the thermoelectric bit is quite a way up a thin aluminium strut, away from the stove top. It reduces the temperature to survivable levels. The hurricane force blast from an overspeed Ecofan would cause significant damage to the boat and the area around it before it self destructs. I'm surprised that a check on this safety feature isn't a part of the BSS.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

23 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Yep. Ours has a bimetal? strip on its base. 

That's what I was told.

So if it rattles...it's overheating.

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The hurricane force blast from an overspeed Ecofan would cause significant damage to the boat  before it self destructs.

Jen

An easyJet plane had a near miss with one during approach to Gatwick.

Just now, Bobbybass said:

That's what I was told.

So if it rattles...it's overheating.

It could just be unbalanced. Mine did it after taking one too many falls to the floor after accidentally steering the boat in to various bits of canal infrastructure. The fan blades got bent. I got a new motor and blade after the motor died and it stopped rattling.

Jen

Just a comment. A friend of mine, land based, had a stove fitted during the summer months.

A couple of days before Christmas he threw a log on the fire, went out to get a chippy takeaway. Came home and could hear his fire alarm sounding. Went in doors and indeed there was a fire in the living room. Loads of smoke etc. Seems that in the gap either side of the stove he had stored logs and it’s these that caught fire. A close shave. Not a great deal of damage but smoke damage being immense. In this instance he was very fortunate (not lucky) it wasn’t far worse. 

I have seen many pictures of boats storing logs either side of the stove. Just a little reminder to consider if it could happen to boaters just as easily.

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

I have seen many pictures of boats storing logs either side of the stove. Just a little reminder to consider if it could happen to boaters just as easily.

You can sort of see house owners doing this unknowingly, but boaters have to get their boats through the BSS every four years and one of the criteria is no charred wood near the stove as it is one step from catching fire. Since they know wood too close can get charred, why store logs that way?! ?

• Happy 1

• 2 weeks later...