How Much For A Signwritten Name

Featured Posts

Hi everyone. 

How much in a ball park figure kind of way is it to get a name and simple picture of a playing card painted on the side of a narrowboat in London. 

I want a white Ace playing card with a stick figure and the name "The Ace Of Knaves" below it in an arc. 

Boat Top is green painted Marine Ply and will be the background to the whole design if that makes sense

Can you guess what it is yet ???

My boat is currently being repainted. I have been quoted £500 for the signwiting on the sides, plus extra £150 for 3 colour candy striping on the swan neck, £150  for a panel of diamonds on the roof and £75 for a heart on the slide.

Edited by cuthound
Clarification

11 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

this must be the rudest thing I posted here, but why do canal boats have such gaudy colours. I can understand historic boats need to maintain closer to how it was but for the rest its just ugly.

What up with multi color and 1960s look.

(hope I dont get banned for this :))

If you think thats the rudest thing posted on here you aint been around long enough.

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

but why do canal boats have such gaudy colours

Because men, more often than not, seem to be the custodians of the colour scheme, despite most of us being aesthetically challenged, and one in ten of us being colour deficient! 

41 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

this must be the rudest thing I posted here, but why do canal boats have such gaudy colours. I can understand historic boats need to maintain closer to how it was but for the rest its just ugly.

Boat paint only comes in four colours. Gaudy Blue, Gaudy Red, Gaudy Yellow and Gaudy Green. That's why all narrowboats are painted in one of those four colours. Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise.

731960745_Screenshot2019-11-05at19_13_47.png.67c91f09e6647367e36cf17557f63ee3.png

See?

8 minutes ago, NB Caelmiri said:

Boat paint only comes in four colours. Gaudy Blue, Gaudy Red, Gaudy Yellow and Gaudy Green. That's why all narrowboats are painted in one of those four colours. Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise.

731960745_Screenshot2019-11-05at19_13_47.png.67c91f09e6647367e36cf17557f63ee3.png

See?

There is the ever popular primer grey, with rust polka dots.

• Greenie 2

45 minutes ago, NB Caelmiri said:

Boat paint only comes in four colours.

According to the original design speck of our boat, the colours she displays are Dusty Grey, Fern Green and Dark Cherry.  I am fairly sure that two, of those three, are the names of former girlfriends!

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

My boat is currently being repainted. I have been quoted £500 for the signwiting on the sides, plus extra £150 for 3 colour candy striping on the swan neck, £150  for a panel of diamonds on the roof and £75 for a heart on the slide.

That sounds high to me.  Admittedly it was five or six years ago, but we paid £500 for the name and location on both sides plus number in a panel; diamonds on the bow flashes, cratch board and roof; scroll on each side; CRT number on both sides.

46 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

That sounds high to me.  Admittedly it was five or six years ago, but we paid £500 for the name and location on both sides plus number in a panel; diamonds on the bow flashes, cratch board and roof; scroll on each side; CRT number on both sides.

Yes my £500 includes CRT numbers, boat name & home port, boat number, scrolls and top bend decoration.

It is only the swans neck, side and 6 foot x 18" diamond panel on roof that is extra.

Asked 5 boatyard for quotes and all were about the same for sign writing, but varied between £130 & £200 per foot for the repaint.

14 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

He was going too fast to get any nearer .

20191029_112333.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 05/11/2019 at 18:29, restlessnomad said:

This was aiming more at a late 1950s look...

It doesn't necessarily have to be a patchwork of many different colours!

Gaudy enough for you?

P1020479.JPG