Best Method of sealing weedhatch

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

And does that seal straight away?

By the time I've clamped it down, had a wash and made a cuppa, yes.

Of course the proof is putting it into reverse, and having a quick gander after a few minutes under way .... whey .... weigh .... wahey 

What I have noted from the helpful postings on this topic is that quite a lot of weedhatches do leak underway if not sealed properly even though they are well above the water level and presumably fitted with a baffle at the height of the counter. Whilst it obviously depends on the location relative to the prop as to if it leaks more in ahead or astern what impact does the actual size make? I seem to have quite a large weedhatch at about 400mm x450mm and the prop tips are a good 150mm below the counter and a long swim which could account for the fact that it doesn't leak underway. Maybe the edges around the baffle plate being well away from the prop are not so subject to increased water pressure. Just something I had not really thought about before. I might be talking rubbish at this time of night which is why you need a weedhatch anyway.

Thanks

Mike

3 hours ago, zenataomm said:

I carry two large tubes of waterproof silicone sealant on board.

If I lift the weedhatch I peel off the previous coating.  After rummaging I squeeze another thick bead around the edge and clamp it back down.

Being a liquid when applied it doesn't need to be a spotless, rust free and smooth surface.

Once a tube is empty I buy another so I always have more than enough.

Would this system work well, when the weed hatch is used 4 times a day?

:)

49 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Thats the BCN, just wait till you do the Rochdale through Manchester :).

................Dave

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

I use solid neoprene gasket material 6mm thick, cut to shape as would be used in industrial gasket sealing applications. Its a far more robust solution than the foam and tape that seems to be common and frankly I do not understand why people risk using tape etc given the consequences of failure.

12 hours ago, bizzard said:

Care is needed when replacing the lid, they rarely fit properly if not the correct way round. usually the cavitation plate baulks on something if wrong. Once certain its the right way round mark it with paint F for front or something.

Why would you turn it around when you lift it off in the first place?

10 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Made mine out an old piece of conveyor belt that I found lying around.  Never leaked in 15 years And extremely tough.  My weed hatch is circular - is this unusual?

Not at all - mine is similar 2-3 mm thick rubber- never had to replace it in 12 years of ownership.

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

If it is possible to get it wrong, then people will!

I've posted about this before. I made a bilge pump warning light. If the auto bilge pump comes on, then it lights a warning light to let you know it has happened. The light stays on till you cancel it. Assuming your auto bilge pump isn't clarted up with horrible bilge gunge and actually works, then you get a warning that water is getting in. Could be from a stern gland, leaking weed hatch, rain water around the hatch lids, whatever. My boat has a Volvo stern gland and basically never drips, so the bilge should be bone dry. If the bilge pump has run I want to know about it.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

43 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Not at all - mine is similar 2-3 mm thick rubber- never had to replace it in 12 years of ownership.

I don't, but a lot of folk do, then wonder why at first why it won't fit properly, or they force it and it leaks. Best to mark it just in case.

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

I actually meant - is it unusual to have a circular weedhatch?

Here's my method of making a weedhatch seal.  You'll need a tube of quality sealant, Sikaflex or similar, some cling film and a Stanley knife blade.

Day one.  Squeeze four "blobs" of sealant into all four corners.

Day two.  Pare down the blobs to the required height, say around 4mm.  Squeeze the rest to the sealant round the hatch and then wrap the hatch lid in cling film.  Put the lid in place and screw down gently.  (The four cured blobs will hold the hatch and maintain the gap).  If you want the cling film can be removed a day later or just left in place.  Finally retighten.  Mine has been like this for six years at least and has never passed a drop of water despite being removed on several occasions.

The satisfying thud as it drops into place, proves the perfect seal.  

14 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

If that's the case Laurie I suggest you either try This Website

Or move your weed hatch amidships where it'd be more easily accessible. Turn it into a floor mounted box inside of which you store ....

a) A dry suit

- Snorkel

3) Samurai sword

* Several Party Size cans of Barley Wine

Ensure you use the contents in the right order and then rub yourself down with a hot woman.

By the time you've been down the weed hatch 3 times you'll be seeing British Guiana 1c Magentas everywhere.

Edited by zenataomm
I had to clear my prop

8 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I lay mine down when I take it off so I can use the hand that was holding it to clear the prop, It is possible to pick it up and not realised you have turned it. Mine will only fit one way.

Last Friday I brought a friends widebeam boat back from the marina where it was docked to do its bottom. When I arrived the hatch lid was still on the dockside. That one would only fit one way round,  I've now marked it for the owner. My own boats lid is the same, a great many are the same, boat builders can't measure properly anymore.

34 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Yeah, I used that stuff, it works really well, replaced it about 5 years ago as the original was looking a bit worn, so far its still looking perfect.

We have 43 posts on how to seal a weedhatch without using weedhatch tape :), much more fun.

...............Dave

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Mine will only fit one way.

In which case the problem doesn't arise!

39 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

People do get it wrong 

People walk out in front of buses, or throw their motorcycles down the road. Are we going to paint big arrows on the front of buses, or ban motorbikes?

7 hours ago, zenataomm said:

If that's the case Laurie I suggest you either try This Website

Or move your weed hatch amidships where it'd be more easily accessible. Turn it into a floor mounted box inside of which you store ....

a) A dry suit

- Snorkel

3) Samurai sword

* Several Party Size cans of Barley Wine

Ensure you use the contents in the right order and then rub yourself down with a hot woman.

By the time you've been down the weed hatch 3 times you'll be seeing British Guiana 1c Magentas everywhere.

I always rub myself down with a few boy scouts, woops !! sorry I thought I was on the BBC staff web site :)