Atherstone locks postcode

monkeyhanger

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

I wonder if anyone is able to give the above information. I'd specifically like the postcode (if there is one) for lock 10, the second from bottom lock. Thanks in anticipation.

This seems to suggest cv93dn

https://www.freemaptools.com/uk-postcode-map.htm

But have a play yourself, theres a map tool just move the pointer

Be careful, depending on what you are wanting to do. The location is not accessible by road or, as far as I can see, any way other than the towpath. Postcodes (the clue is in the name) were designed on the basis of postal delivery 'walks' and are essentially a set of physical ,locations - houses, factories or whatever. Away from buildings the area is tacked on, as it were, the most convenient postal area. The location of a postcode is but one position within its area so that it may well be some distance from the original position. earlier this year I was driving to a marina and set its Post Code into the sat nav which proceeded to take me to a farm well over half a mile away and nowhere near the private track off the nearest road to said marina! Forunately i can stilol navigate by old fashioned means . . . 

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Be careful, depending on what you are wanting to do. The location is not accessible by road or, as far as I can see, any way other than the towpath. Postcodes (the clue is in the name) were designed on the basis of postal delivery 'walks' and are essentially a set of physical ,locations - houses, factories or whatever. Away from buildings the area is tacked on, as it were, the most convenient postal area. The location of a postcode is but one position within its area so that it may well be some distance from the original position. earlier this year I was driving to a marina and set its Post Code into the sat nav which proceeded to take me to a farm well over half a mile away and nowhere near the private track off the nearest road to said marina! Forunately i can stilol navigate by old fashioned means . . . 

Post codes work well in built up areas, but less well out in the sticks. They were never designed to be a navigation tool, just a way of speeding postal sorting and delivery. They work well surprisingly well for navigation, but you do get glitches, as @Mike Todd describes.

3 hours ago, philjw said:

Canalplan has lots of info if you search the gazeteer entry:

Geodata 
Latitude: 52°35′39″N
Longitude: 1°34′16″W
Postal code: CV9 3DU
OS Grid: SP291996
CanalPlan: tph7
CRT Asset: CC-030-002
What3Words: sliding.guards.anchorman
Geohash: gcqghq2p16hhm8w116
Maidenhead: IO92fo12
Open Location Code: 9C4WHCVH+MJ

That looks very useful, but I can't seem to access it on Canalplan.  How did you get to it?