Isuzu 33 hp - Engine type 1m4lb33 - Which oil?

Sofia

Featured Posts

Hello,

I have been trying to find online before asking on here.

Our engine needs an oil change but I am not sure which oil I need to purchase for our Isuzu 33 hp - Engine type 1m4lb33 ?

Would anyone who has this engine or knows what the correct oil is please?

Thank you in advance

Before everyone else jumps in, I'd suggest 15w/40 it's a mineral oil with plenty of body - ideal for commercial duty engines

Folks on here suggest 10w/40 which (IMHO) is too thin and may not lubricate too well in an old engine. Someone at Beta  Marine nearly exploded when I suggested 10/40 (I had loads of it). But times change.... The basis is that 10 grade oil is semi-synthetic and is too slippery, that encourages glazed bores = smokey exhaust (you don't want that)

Comments will doubtless follow - and I'd be interested to see their arguments...

3 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Before everyone else jumps in, I'd suggest 15w/40 it's a mineral oil with plenty of body - ideal for commercial duty engines

Folks on here suggest 10w/40 which (IMHO) is too thin and may not lubricate too well in an old engine. Someone at Beta  Marine nearly exploded when I suggested 10/40 (I had loads of it). But times change.... The basis is that 10 grade oil is semi-synthetic and is too slippery, that encourages glazed bores = smokey exhaust (you don't want that)

Comments will doubtless follow - and I'd be interested to see their arguments...

Thank you

47 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Surely the only difference between 10w/40 and 15w/40 is that the 10w/40 will be a bit thinner at very low temperatures, making starting easier. At higher temperatures (engine running at normal temperature) both grades will have the same viscosity.

53 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

No argument from here. Straight cheap mineral oil, 15w/40. Runs all the tractors just fine and the Merlo forend loader which has the same engine as the most popular boat engines.

According to mr google and assuming it is an Isuzu base engine type 4LB1, it is api spec CC or CD typically 15w40 depending on temperature.

Here is a link for an engine manual from a us generator supplier.  I don’t guarantee it is free from virus etc, but the pdf opened ok and without warning on my iPad.  

https://www.wincogen.com/wp-content/uploads/PD/Engines/ISUZU-4LE1-OPM.pdf

Edited by Chewbacka

46 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

According to mr google and assuming it is an Isuzu base engine type 4LB1, it is api spec CC or CD typically 15w40 depending on temperature.

Here is a link for an engine manual from a us generator supplier.  I don’t guarantee it is free from virus etc, but the pdf opened ok and without warning on my iPad.  

https://www.wincogen.com/wp-content/uploads/PD/Engines/ISUZU-4LE1-OPM.pdf

Thank you :)

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

15/40 end of.

Thank you