Integral water tank

Jacqu

Featured Posts

A good boatyard will be able to cut out structure  and fit a stand alone stainless or plastic tank, then rebuild around the new tank.   Expensive, but the only permanent cure.  Try Martin Kedian of this forum, Ivy Bridge Marine or possibly Debdale in the midlands.  There will be others.

Some boatyards will charge you a fortune to repaint it inside but the standard of preparation is likely to be low.  It is a b@st#rd job, to be fair, and even if done well is not likely to last very long.

N

21 minutes ago, Jacqu said:

Hi the integrated  water tank on my boat is in need of refurbishment (paint pealing ,rust ect)

1 minute ago, BEngo said:

A good boatyard will be able to cut out structure  and fit a stand alone stainless or plastic tank,

I'm guessing it may be like our boat, and the tank is actually the hull of the boat.

It is not a pleasant job and you either wriggle in yourself or pay someone £100's to do it for you.

Not a job that you will get many volunteers for.

38 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm guessing it may be like our boat, and the tank is actually the hull of the boat.

It is not a pleasant job and you either wriggle in yourself or pay someone £100's to do it for you.

Not a job that you will get many volunteers for.

I did mine and it is easy but very unpleasant.  3 costs of epoxy.  I did it about 4 years ago, probably I should open it up and check it.  Maybe next summer.........

7 minutes ago, Jacqu said:

Thank you for your thoughts on this .Begining to think the stainless tank is the permanant solution to this issue. Has any one else taken this route? What are the pros and cons of this fix. Thank you, Jacqui.

You lose water tank capacity.

11 minutes ago, Jacqu said:

Thank you for your thoughts on this .Begining to think the stainless tank is the permanant solution to this issue. Has any one else taken this route? What are the pros and cons of this fix. Thank you, Jacqui.

Another alternative would be to use the current integral tank as storage and fit a new one somewhere else, space allowing. 

35 minutes ago, Jacqu said:

You may well be able to find someone who will do a strong plastic bespoke liner for you. They should be around so doubtless some one will come up with a name?? Tek Tanks may be worth a fone call. Be less cost and hassle than a stainless and do a good enough job.

Another option that's not been mentioned yet may be a flexible bladder inside the existing tank. You'd still need to derust and paint it to stop any ongoing corrosion progressing in the steelwork. Not used one, so no idea what they are like. The ones in this link come in a maximum of 200l, which is less than half the size of the stainless tank on my boat (450l) It may be possible to fit more than one to get the capacity. These would be the easiest to install, compared with opening up the steelwork and fitting a rigid plastic, or stainless tank.

Jen

7 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Another option that's not been mentioned yet may be a flexible bladder inside the existing tank. You'd still need to derust and paint it to stop any ongoing corrosion progressing in the steelwork. Not used one, so no idea what they are like. The ones in this link come in a maximum of 200l, which is less than half the size of the stainless tank on my boat (450l) It may be possible to fit more than one to get the capacity. These would be the easiest to install, compared with opening up the steelwork and fitting a rigid plastic, or stainless tank.

Jen

But you would need to do that in any of the replacement options if you don't want the hull to rust away from the inside. Which leaves the OP more or less back where she started.

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But you would need to do that in any of the replacement options if you don't want the hull to rust away from the inside. Which leaves the OP more or less back where she started.

But much less often as she'll be able to use a more effective paint system than the potable water ones she'd need for the integral water tank.

14 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Not heard of them before. Can they be applied DIY, or do they need a professional to do the work?

You can use any epoxy that you want on the bare steel, so you can use a good one of your choice and its suitable for DIY, only the final coat or two needs to be in a potable one (and even this is questionable) and again they are nothing special so suitable for DIY.

Once epoxy has set its pretty much inert anyway so any chemicals from the epoxy are probably insignificant compared with the stuff in the drinking water which in some cases is little better than very diluted sewage. Have recently had access to fresh untreated spring water and it made be realise just how bad tap water is.

...............Dave

1 minute ago, dmr said:

You can use any epoxy that you want on the bare steel, so you can use a good one of your choice and its suitable for DIY, only the final coat or two needs to be in a potable one (and even this is questionable) and again they are nothing special so suitable for DIY.

Once epoxy has set its pretty much inert anyway so any chemicals from the epoxy are probably insignificant compared with the stuff in the drinking water which in some cases is little better than very diluted sewage. Have recently had access to fresh untreated spring water and it made be realise just how bad tap water is.

...............Dave

Tap water will be better under a labour government. 

13 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Tap water will be better under a labour government. 

No, it will still be mediocre but will be same for everybody.

The tories will sort it out with better privatisation, competition and customer choice. For a few extra thousand pounds each year you will be able to get premium water that tastes better, premium gas that burns hotter and smells less, and premium leccy with an extra volt or two.

and on the railways some carriages will be first class plus and go faster than the rest of the train.

..............Dave

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Good luck finding any tap on the Rochdale. 

?

That's easy, I know exactly where both of them are :)

More importantly this is Yorkshire, you just leave a bucket out on the front deck and God fills it up.

...............Dave

12 minutes ago, dmr said:

and on the railways some carriages will be first class plus and go faster than the rest of the train.

That’s how they got the Blonde to shift out of an airliner business class: they told her that section wasn’t going to New York...

15 minutes ago, dmr said:

That's easy, I know exactly where both of them are :)

More importantly this is Yorkshire, you just leave a bucket out on the front deck and God fills it up.

...............Dave

I had to sign back in to say : it’s Lancashire!

?

where you’re shuffling. 

Edited by Goliath
Under a Labour Government you’d know that

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I had to sign back in to say : it’s Lancashire!

?

where you’re shuffling. 

I am currently in Lancashire but I take the dog for a walk into Yorkshire each morning, its only 100 yards, will move the boat over the border some time next week.

Some unfortunate stoppages this winter so will likely need to find somewhere to stop for a month or so, ideally not too far from one of the two water taps as I will need to fill our epoxy coated integral tank (thread almost back on topic :clapping:)  was thinking maybe opposite the Golden Lion but thats Winter Moorings this year so if we stop there CRT might ask for money. Could be Hebden Bridge.

.............Dave