Noise pollution

CompairHolman

Featured Posts

I used to like the House wives choice signature tune on the light programe, it went  Doo dee doo dee doo dee doo dee doo dee doo dee dooo deee ddddd deee deeeee, doo deee dooo dee eeee doooo deeee dddddooo ddddooo doooo.

20 minutes ago, Athy said:

Wasn't (isn't?) 'Sailing By' the Radio 4 closing-down theme tune at the end of the evening's broadcasting?

And do they still play Lillibulero on the BS World Service? 

14 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I used to like the House wives choice signature tune on the light programe, it went  Doo dee doo dee doo dee doo dee doo dee doo dee dooo deee ddddd deee deeeee, doo deee dooo dee eeee doooo deeee dddddooo ddddooo doooo.

Sorry to break this to you, Biz, but you have a doo where there should be a dee in there.

I'll see your doos and dees and raise you a dum, a tee and another dum!

Yes, 'Sailing By' is much missed by those who liked to drift off to sleep with the sweet voice of Charlotte Green in their ear 'oles.

And does anyone else remember John Shuttleworth's 'Wireless Wanderings' where he got lost in the shipping forecast?

Edited by Victor Vectis

45 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

I'll see your doos and dees and raise you a dum, a tee and another dum!

Yes, 'Sailing By' is much missed by those who liked to drift off to sleep with the sweet voice of Charlotte Green in their ear 'oles.

And does anyone else remember John Shuttleworth's 'Wireless Wanderings' where he got lost in the shipping forecast?

.....and ended up on Radio 4's Desert Island?  

20 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

In a society that still claims to be Christian, whatever that might be taken to mean,  that love your neighbuur as yourself is an important element of natural law, the most basic part of our legal framework, coming even before common and statute law. NB other codes of behaviour, faith based or not, are available! And usually lead to a similar conclusion.

Does our society still claim to be Christian? I guess it does despite low numbers of folk actually attending any act of worship. My favourite quote on the golden rule is the Dalai Lama: “if it doesn’t tell you to be nice to each other, it’s probably not a religion”.

15 hours ago, Athy said:

Wasn't (isn't?) 'Sailing By' the Radio 4 closing-down theme tune at the end of the evening's broadcasting?

Surely 'Sailing By' is still played at close of service, around 00:45 ?

Who remembers part of Handel's 'Water Music" played at the start of Sunday broadcasting of the  BBC Home Service I think around 07:45?

Possibly the rest of the week as well,but much earlier (06:00?)

Dah de dah de dah,dah de dah de dah........

Listening with  headphones on the crystal set I built using the iron bed frame as an aeriel, and not causing a noise nuisance. That came later with the home built guitar amps.?

2 minutes ago, billh said:

Surely 'Sailing By' is still played at close of service, around 00:45 ?

I thought so, but although we do listen to Radio 4 on the boat, by that time of night it's always Radio 5 live on the bedside set. I do know that there was an outcry from listeners some years ago when the B.B.C. axed (or proposed to axe) its playing.

On 04/11/2019 at 17:45, Arthur Marshall said:

It was there when I bought mine, too.  But then, we all had 12v TVs, a couple of fluorescent lights, gas water heater, solid fuel stove and washed stuff by hand in the sink.  The difference now, when most people seem to run the engine to power their TV screen, microwave or washing machine, is vast.  And, in one case on an otherwise peaceful day at Tixall wide, when I asked the bloke next door if he was going to run his engine all day (after three hours of it) so he could run his business in Australia from the computers on his boat.  Yes, he said, why, is there a problem.  No, I said politely (because it was between 8 and 8), and buggered off.  What used to be a really nice place to stop for a day is now more or less unbearable.

So yes, we deal with it. But it's ruined the cut as a quiet place, and very hard now to find anywhere to moor where the sight of another boat tying up doesn't fill you (some of us anyway) with dread.  I can see why houses along the canal complain to councils about noise and pollution and why mooring places are cut back.  There are more liveaboards with more facilities, more hire boats with the same who don't know or care about the guidelines.

There are perfectly good reasons for it (and for the newcomers, of course, it's the norm) and I'm glad everyone is having a nice time.    But I'm not so much any more - for me, after thirty years of it, the endless noise pollution is mostly what will force me to kick the boating habit. And you usually can't avoid it just by moving, because mooring places are not that frequent any more, and on virtually every one is someone with a perfectly good reason for running their engine or genny.

Strange.  This isn't my experience at all.  In fact, my experience is that it's gone the other way in the last 10 years.  There seem to be more boats about overall but the proliferation of solar panels makes for far less engine running than I remember.

9 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

Strange.  This isn't my experience at all.  In fact, my experience is that it's gone the other way in the last 10 years.  There seem to be more boats about overall but the proliferation of solar panels makes for far less engine running than I remember.

As a liveaboard with two sizeable panels, come the summer my engine runs once a fortnight only, for when I leave my visitor mooring to go elsewhere. Or less than once a fortnight if I choose to leave sooner. I'm usually good for this from around April until almost October, so basically 6 months of not running the engine to charge up the batteries.

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

Does our society still claim to be Christian? I guess it does despite low numbers of folk actually attending any act of worship. My favourite quote on the golden rule is the Dalai Lama: “if it doesn’t tell you to be nice to each other, it’s probably not a religion”.

I could chunter on about this for a long time, but:

(a) I've forgotten the actual number but the proportion of the population that visit a church at least once in a year is surprisingly very high - well over two thirds IIRC

(b) I used the word 'claim' deliberately as it seems most frequent when it i alleged that 'other faiths are taking over'

One of the problems is that faith and culture are very much intertwined, especially in the collective psyche.

3 minutes ago, NB Caelmiri said:

As a liveaboard with two sizeable panels, come the summer my engine runs once a fortnight only, for when I leave my visitor mooring to go elsewhere. Or less than once a fortnight if I choose to leave sooner. I'm usually good for this from around April until almost October, so basically 6 months of not running the engine to charge up the batteries.

Same here except I have 3 big panels so I manage around 8 months of not needing to run engine for battery charging.  Currently I'm still getting a reasonable amount from my panels but not enough to manage entirely on.  I'd say I have an 8 month 'solar season', 2 month 'shoulder season', and 2 month 'engine running season'.  During those darkest 2 months, it's not difficult to find a mooring away from other boats, since the canals are pretty quiet from 21st November - 21st January.

2 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

Its dead easy to know what is a religion. For some funny reason, all religions promise you something fantastic ( after death ) you know, heaven or virgins or whatever floats ya boat of course you have to be dead first hence unable to be challenged lol.

17 hours ago, bizzard said:

That must be one of the most boring tunes ever written!

1 hour ago, Dave_P said:

It's possible that because I have, for the last couple of years anyway, travelled mostly in the holiday season, I'm being plagued by more hire boats than CCers, so that's where the noise has come from. And, if I have to moor up near other boats, I do try to pick on the ones with solar panels for that very reason.  The diesel heating systems, now, are about as noisy and as much of a nuisance as engines and more and more hire boats seem to have them installed.  It may well irritate me more than it bothers most people as musicians tend to be twitchy about noise.  I shall probably get more and more tolerant as I get more and more deaf.

48 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

Same here except I have 3 big panels so I manage around 8 months of not needing to run engine for battery charging.  Currently I'm still getting a reasonable amount from my panels but not enough to manage entirely on.  I'd say I have an 8 month 'solar season', 2 month 'shoulder season', and 2 month 'engine running season'.  During those darkest 2 months, it's not difficult to find a mooring away from other boats, since the canals are pretty quiet from 21st November - 21st January.

I may have to invest in a third panel. I think my controller should handle it. Planning on building a roof box so that could be the ideal opportunity to get a third. Where I tend to moor up on the L&L is pretty quiet anyway, rarely see another boat.

9 minutes ago, NB Caelmiri said:

I may have to invest in a third panel. I think my controller should handle it. Planning on building a roof box so that could be the ideal opportunity to get a third. Where I tend to moor up on the L&L is pretty quiet anyway, rarely see another boat.

How many amps is your controller rated for?