Noise pollution

CompairHolman

Featured Posts

On 03/11/2019 at 16:01, CompairHolman said:

selfish ignorant boaters

There are plenty of others, often of the old school variety, who insist on sharing the output of their Roberts radio, as they cruise along.  Not talking stag parties with Kiss FM, but old farts who feel that the world should be enlightened with force fed Radio 4.

Just saying...

• Greenie 2

On 03/11/2019 at 20:29, Neil2 said:

You may perceive these folk to be "selfish and ignorant" but I honestly don't think there are too many people who would deliberately create a nuisance for others if they truly realised the effect of their actions.  In my experienced those responsible for creating a noise nuisance simply don't realise they are doing it. 

Yes, so in other words they're being inconsiderate. Consideration of others is proactive and requires some thought, empathy (seeing things from someone else's perspective) and potentially some effort. Unfortunately that quality is lacking amongst too many people in this country who instead read an absence of any complaint as permission to carry on regardless. Instead of thinking about the nuisance they may be causing they put the obligation onto their neighbours to either complain or otherwise lump it. 

• Greenie 2

I wasn't too impressed with the "music" I had to listen to a little after midnight at Star City with the base reverberating the boat. I think it was a car in the carpark. Although I didn't want to hear it I must admit the quality of the sound system was very good other than that base.

On 03/11/2019 at 21:28, bizzard said:

Its stupid running engine to heat water when stationary. Everyone needs a gas instantaneous water heater, the cheapest way of heating water whilst stationary

That made a lot more sense at a fiver a bottle of gas than it ever will at thirty quid a bottle!

And yes, I have a Morco! (And a Morso as well ... it's not a typo!)

On 03/11/2019 at 22:08, pete harrison said:

Does the 20:00 to 08:00 'rule' still apply in relation to not running engines or generators if moored ? If so then running engines or generators during the hours 08:00 to 20:00 should be acceptable even if a little irritating (to some) - or am I missing something :captain:

Its not a "rule" it's one of the CRT invented licence terms and conditions  ,  but not a bylaw or statutory so there is no lawful way it can be enforced. 

Edit.

There is a way it can be enforced, by going to court but that would involve CRT explaining to a judge their preposterous re interpretation of the 1962 Transport Act and risk their whole fraudulent licencing strategy crashing in flames. 

Edited by CompairHolman
  • Unimpressed 1

47 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

Its not a "rule" it's one of the CRT invented licence terms and conditions  ,  but not a bylaw or statutory so there is no lawful way it can be enforced. 

Edit.

There is a way it can be enforced, by going to court but that would involve CRT explaining to a judge their preposterous re interpretation of the 1962 Transport Act and risk their whole fraudulent licencing strategy crashing in flames. 

The bulk of the T&Cs are probably not enforceable but are a pretty good definition of considerate boating behaviour. Most genuine boating laws aren't enforceable anyway because there's noone to do it, so the pain-in-the-arse boaters get away with it, cheerfully spoiling it for everyone else, like the prat on the Macc. 

• Greenie 3

13 hours ago, blackrose said:

Yes, so in other words they're being inconsiderate. Consideration of others is proactive and requires some thought, empathy (seeing things from someone else's perspective) and potentially some effort. Unfortunately that quality is lacking amongst too many people in this country who instead read an absence of any complaint as permission to carry on regardless. Instead of thinking about the nuisance they may be causing they put the obligation onto their neighbours to either complain or otherwise lump it. 

That's a sweeping statement of such simplicity - life is way more complicated than that.  It's easy to draw conclusions from a distance which is what most folk do, it's a problem of modern society because we don't tend to live in "communities" any more.  The society I grew up in involved a lot of interaction and so what we would call these days "conflict resolution", even if folk didn't realise they were doing it.  We need to have the courage to talk to each other instead of just drawing the conclusion that the noise maker is just an ignorant t**t. 

• Greenie 2

A free and open society depends on the vast majority of citizens recognising and complying with the full range of the law, rather than everyone having to be compelled to do so by force. Compare with the Berlin Walll when it existed. We should not have to rely on the authorities actively enforcing every minutiae of the code of law.

With regard to noise, it is important not to conflate want and need. For the most part it may be the case that I want to run my engine at the spot when actually I gave no need to do so as I can quite sensibly move 50 m to somewhere more thoughtful of others.

In a society that still claims to be Christian, whatever that might be taken to mean,  that love your neighbuur as yourself is an important element of natural law, the most basic part of our legal framework, coming even before common and statute law. NB other codes of behaviour, faith based or not, are available! And usually lead to a similar conclusion.

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

With regard to noise, it is important not to conflate want and need. For the most part it may be the case that I want to run my engine at the spot when actually I gave no need to do so as I can quite sensibly move 50 m to somewhere more thoughtful of others.

An interesting concept, and the first time it's been suggested that someone who wants to run their engine should be the one to move somewhere more thoughtful, rather than the one who want some peace and quiet.  It won't happen, of course, because the people who run their engines with the exhaust blowing straight into another boat are, by definition, not the thoughtful kind.

It's a variation of the "rain it raineth on the just / and also on the unjust fella / but mostly on the just because / the unjust steals the just's umbrella" maxim.

I, as far as I am able, now try to avoid all registered visitor moorings.  I may start leaving the trombone on the back deck as a warning to others.

But don't get me wrong, I understand why people need to run gennies and engines and I'm glad there are plenty of boats about.  We need more people actually living on board and moving around the system and noise is one of the prices that has to be paid.  Doesn't stop me not liking it, though.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Neil2 said:

instead of just drawing the conclusion that the noise maker is just an ignorant t**t. 

fully agree with most of your statement, unfortnatly some of them are just Ignorant shods!

A couple of summers ago we were crusing South of Banbury, it was a lovely day but the following day was forecast heavy rain and strong winds so we decided to stop early in a good spot, where we could have a relaxing day, walk the dog etc.     There was a nice spot just about a mile outside of town, between discused drawbridge - bride hole and a new footbridge, not too close to the Motorway either!       The Spot was large enough for 5  (60ft) boats, there was two moored toigether close to the bridge hole, and a third down the far end.     The two boats at the Banbury end were all locked up whilst I could see that ther were people on the far boat so I decided to moor closer to the pair of boats and leave room for a 5th boat to join us later on.     PLan was to have lunch then take the dog for a walk over the fields (they are now building houses on this filed which is a shame).    

Just as we finished lunch the owners of the two boats arrived back from Banbury  and seemed a little put off that there was someone moored close to them, we said hello (we were sitting far end of our boat any way), they just waved and carried on.    The owner of the boat immediatly astern of us got a deck chair and radio out and started listening to his radio.   Loud enough that we could hear it clearly 60ft away.     Wasnt too bad initially however noticed that he kept turning it up louder and louder.     We went to walk the dog (as i collected the lead i noticed that his dog had fouled right by our stern...about 6ft from where he was sitting....am sure he must have just not seen it...)

Had a good walk, when we got back a 5th boat had joined us, so all spaces now filled up, the owner was down in his cabin, but when he saw us come back he went out again and turned the radio back on.      deciding that discration was the better part of valour, we decided to upstick and head round the corner were there was a nouther spot that we had seen earlier (a bit close to the motorway but never mind) so we moved there, where there was a couple of other boats where after a chat to the other owners (and helped anouther boat moor up) we retired to our own boats as the rain arrived.

Next day in the heavy rain walked back up towards Banbury, as we passed out previous mooring spot noticed that there was now a Narrow "Dutch" barge moored in that spot...which had got an open frame genny set on the bank going full pelt.....some sort of poetic justice.....

Edited by Dharl
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

he kicks boats next to him and throws their pin in the cut

thankful never met....though I do have a large boot size and dont take to kindly to behavour like throwing pins in the cut......not the boating and certainly not a seamanship like approach to your neighbours!       

22 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

How else can we listen to 'The Archers'?

?

Why would you want to?

It seems to be mostly about a gay couple with their tribulations having a surrogate baby nowadays. Not much content about farming. 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

24 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Why would you want to?

It seems to be mostly about a gay couple with their tribulations having a surrogate baby nowadays. Not much content about farming. 

I thought it was about a pop group singing Sugar Sugar.

4 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

In all honesty I have no idea why I listen to it but I have for years

before the days of the internet, the shipping forecast always used to follow The Archers, so their is a dedicated following amoungst boaters, both salty and fresh water versions!     When off Gibraltar you could still pick up Radio 4 if the athmospheric conditions were right, heading South you knew that as it faded out you were gone for a while and when it started fading in you knew you were on the way back to civerlisation!     Around the times of broadcast you used to get a odd bunch of off watch crew turning up on the bridge "just to catch the weather chief".     Now its all digitalised with WiFi on ships as well you dont have half the same social scene....

• Greenie 2

41 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Why would you want to?

I'm shocked!

You mean you don't care about Hilda Ogden's kittens?

?

And..........

A  non-BBC podcast I would commend to the enlightened http://dumteedum.com/

Edited by Victor Vectis

There is a quite well known narrow boat with two rudders and tillers on the Grand Union that has a Diesel heating system that automatically starts the engine every two hours to power the heater, it was moored next to us once and the owner was surprised that we didn't like being woken up 5 times every night.

If you see this monstrosity mooring up near you make it clear to the owner that its not happening.