Noise pollution

CompairHolman

Featured Posts

Why are we still allowing a minority of selfish ignorant boaters to run noisy open frame generators on their boats while they are moored on visitor moorings and around other boats, especially in peaceful rural moorings that people specifically choose and pay for to enjoy the quiet ?

You can guess what my Sunday has been like .

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

Why are we still allowing a minority of selfish ignorant boaters to run noisy open frame generators on their boats

There are no rules to say they cannot, the guidance is to try not to interfere with others enjoyment.

Not everyone can afford a £1000 Honda quiet suitcase generator.

It may be worth the time to go and talk to the 'culprit' and explain the problems he is giving you - he may not be aware of the noise levels.

44 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There are no rules to say they cannot, the guidance is to try not to interfere with others enjoyment.

Not everyone can afford a £1000 Honda quiet suitcase generator.

It may be worth the time to go and talk to the 'culprit' and explain the problems he is giving you - he may not be aware of the noise levels.

Probably they are well aware of the noise, but batteries need charging, and weekends are favourites as people are at work the other days.  And as is often mentioned on here batteries should be fully charged at least once a week and it takes 8 or more hours.  So it is going to be difficult to negotiate a significant reduction in runtime.

added - the boater doing the charging is between a rock and a hard place, do it in a quiet rural setting or in front of someone’s house in a town.

Edited by Chewbacka

1 hour ago, CompairHolman said:

Why are we still allowing a minority of selfish ignorant boaters to run noisy open frame generators on their boats while they are moored on visitor moorings and around other boats.

What is the force of your adjective "stlll"?

What do the majority of selfish ignorant boaters do when they need electricity or hot water?

2 hours ago, CompairHolman said:

Why are we still allowing a minority of selfish ignorant boaters to run noisy open frame generators on their boats while they are moored on visitor moorings and around other boats, especially in peaceful rural moorings that people specifically choose and pay for to enjoy the quiet ?

You can guess what my Sunday has been like .

As much as I dislike the noise, I understand the need. But I move off if it annoys me too much. It’s only ever a temporary irritation. 

Might be worth remembering batteries can be charged silently in a marina by plugging in to shore line. So, you might find it quieter there. 

Or

You could display “A noise annoys” on a painted plank. It used to be a sign above the classroom door of the Bash Street Kids in the Beano. 

• Greenie 1

You may perceive these folk to be "selfish and ignorant" but I honestly don't think there are too many people who would deliberately create a nuisance for others if they truly realised the effect of their actions.  In my experienced those responsible for creating a noise nuisance simply don't realise they are doing it.  It does take a bit of nerve to approach a neighbour in these situations but every time I've done it I have received a sympathetic response, and it helps if you make your approach with a bit of empathy yourself.  At this time of year it's difficult for non - marina dwellers to keep on top of the charging regime and some running engines/generators simply has to be tolerated.  

Bear in mind the vast majority of canal dwellers are attracted to the cut for the same reasons as you.

• Greenie 3

So, today, four hours of gennie running on the roof bouncing up and down - why? No sun recently and an inoperable engine.  Repairs underway, but unfortunately I'm going to be annoying until its fixed next week....

• Happy 1

Its stupid running engine to heat water when stationary. Everyone needs a gas instantaneous water heater, the cheapest way of heating water whilst stationary apart from lighting a fire of free sticks on the bank. They seem to be making a bit of a come back though. Some folk here keep running engines in the boatyard to heat water, bloomin nuisance.

• Greenie 3

3 hours ago, Athy said:

What is the force of your adjective "stlll"?

What do the majority of selfish ignorant boaters do when they need electricity or hot water?

This begs the question of who is entitled to what, someone to peace on a quiet rural mooring they are paying for or someone that arrives and needs to charge their batteries ?  

Only one of us is causing a problem and its not me.

Edited by CompairHolman

1 minute ago, CompairHolman said:

This begs the question of who is entitled to what, someone to peace on a quiet rural mooring or someone that arrives and needs to charge their batteries ?  

Surely they've been charging their batteries on the way.

The inccesant craze of taking a shower and washing umpteen times a day is half the trouble, washing away all the body's natural oils. If you stop it the body only stinks for a few days then the oils seal all the stinks in, unless you happen to have rampant BO. If you have smelly feet then they're a different matter, I suggest bathing them in the washing up bowl every couple of days and don't wear socks. The pungeant and nauseous stink of smelly feet really makes me gag.  If you see any folk wearing Chelsea boots, its a dead give away, it means they've had complaints and they wear them to lock in and contain the terrible nauseous pong.

Edited by bizzard
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

This begs the question of who is entitled to what, someone to peace on a quiet rural mooring they are paying for or someone that arrives and needs to charge their batteries ?  

So you're both paying to be there.  Sounds like it's time for the landlord to arbitrate if you cant sort out between yourselves like adults...

9 minutes ago, bizzard said:

The inccesant craze of taking a shower and washing umpteen times a day is half the trouble, washing away all the body's natural oils. If you stop it the body only stinks for a few days then the oils seal all the stinks in, unless you happen to have rampant BO. If you have smelly feet then they're a different matter, I suggest bathing them in the washing up bowl every couple of days and don't wear socks. The pungeant and nauseous stink of smelly feet really makes me gag.  If you see any folk wearing Chelsea boots, its a dead give away, it means they've had complaints and they wear them to lock in and contain the terrible nauseous pong.

There was a time, years ago when folk only had a bath once a week, usually Friday, but I don't remember anyone stinking of sweat, body odor though, everyone stank of stew instead. It was the clothes airer racks that did it, the ones that were hoisted up to the ceiling in the kitchen  on a pulley tackle and the fumes from the pot of stew continually simmering away on the stove impregnated all the clothes as the fume all rose up. Quite a homely smell though, it was everywhere where people were, on trains, buses, cinema, cafe's, mingled with tobacco smoke too.  Young kids have very sensitive hooters.

26 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Years ago that rule was virtually unknown, if it existed at all. If anyone needed to run their engine for a bit even during the daytime they would always knock on neibouring boats to ask if they minded.

But then they had gas fridges and candles/oil lights, so not much need to generate lots of leccy.  

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

But then they had gas fridges and candles/oil lights, so not much need to generate lots of leccy.  

It was nice and peaceful though, we read lots of books. I've noted the make up of the human being over some time now and its gradually changing as the years go by, because of all the constant peering at smart phones and laptops evolution is slowly but surely making its effect. I've noticed that folks eyes are very slowly getting closer and closer together until I reckon that they'll join together into one huge square eye eventually. The hands too I've noticed, folks main didgit fore finger and thumbs are getting bigger and bigger  and stronger through pressing keys while the other fingers are withering away with lack of use. Legs too will gradually get weaker and weaker and get ricketier and wither away into dangling bits of gristley appendages and  eventually drop off entirely with lack of use with all the sitting down doing computers. One day no one will be able to walk anymore, This is natural progression of evolution based on peoples  long term doings.  A bit like the poor old  Moor hens. One told me the other day that he wished with all his heart that he had webbed feet and could paddle along as fast as the ducks as they laugh at him struggling along.  Well I think their little toes are beginning to join together developing into web feet, when the process is completed they won't be able to scramble about on twigs and things so easily but I think they'd prefer to swim quicker and more powerfully to stem strong currents instead of being driven backwards and and be able to at least keep pace with ducks.  Evolution governs every living thing.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

Surely they've been charging their batteries on the way.

You'd think so, but I've experienced plenty of boaters mooring up late afternoon and running the engine for another three hours. The almost incessant noise is one reason I won't mind giving it all up quite so much. 

9 hours ago, CompairHolman said:

As long as they switch it off before 8 p.m., they are perfectly entitled to run their engine or generator. You are perhaps making this into a problem. 

Could you not move your boat to a different spot if you don't like the noise? You suggest that they had been generating power for several hours, so you would have had ample time to move.

To brand another boater as "selfish and ignorant" for simply doing what they are allowed to do and what they evidently need to do might be viewed as intolerant. Do you never run your engine for similar reasons? We certainly do, but if we do, it always gets switched off at five to eight.

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

As long as they switch it off before 8 p.m., they are perfectly entitled to run their engine or generator. You are perhaps making this into a problem. 

Could you not move your boat to a different spot if you don't like the noise? You suggest that they had been generating power for several hours, so you would have had ample time to move.

To brand another boater as "selfish and ignorant" for simply doing what they are allowed to do and what they evidently need to do might be viewed as intolerant. Do you never run your engine for similar reasons? We certainly do, but if we do, it always gets switched off at five to eight.

In fairness, I'd rather listen to a running engine than a noisy generator.