Steve Heywood has a go at steering President

Tonka

Featured Posts

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus!! A perfect example of how NOT to handle a narrowboat!! Zero use of tiller, too much welly, absolutely dreadful. Better give the charity even more money for repairs if all the steerers are similar lol.

He just practising with someone else's boat, obviously had it off to a tee by the time he met the cruiser. Is he competing with Tim for the Basher of the Year award. 

Edited by Jim Riley
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

To be fair to Mr Heywood, I believe this vessel has had a problem IN THE PAST, where the engineman, who actually applies astern gear, would look out of the engineroom doors to see if astern was actually necessary, BEFORE applying the gear!

In which case its a stupid system - he is peering out of the starboard side engine room hatch and cannot see the approaching pontoon on the Port side.

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In which case its a stupid system - he is peering out of the starboard side engine room hatch and cannot see the approaching pontoon on the Port side.

Indeed!  I am not defending the vessel or its crew with which I have had issues in the past.

17 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

The operation of a signal between the steerer and the engine room man (I do not know the correct term) is a proven system and was successfully used on all Fellows, Morton and Clayton Ltd. steamers back in the day - and very likely other steamer operators as well. The big difference back then is that these men were professionals who all operated as a team, based upon trust and an understanding of what they were doing. PRESIDENT is run by volunteers who all have differing levels of interest, skill and understanding - and at best are dis-functional as a team (evidence based and demonstrated in the video above). It is my view that the problems lie with crew and their training rather than the signal system :captain:

Not to mention the women dressing up as men (apparently they claim it is unlucky to have a women on a steamer hence women dressing as men. Perhaps they would fare better if the men dressed up as women - but lets not go there) :captain:

That is a very fair assessment - but I still maintain that looking out of 'one side' and seeing it clear does not make it a safe system - even if he then goes and checks the other side (after negotiating around the engine) there is a time delay which could be crucial.

Surely a simple "piece of string tied to a bell" would more than suffice as the steerer (hopefully) can see what is happening both sides of the boat.

Even - perish the thought - a piece of string attached directly to the gear selector. (maybe two pieces of string one for Forward and one for Astern)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

16 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

the engine room man (I do not know the correct term)

En passant, you have raised an interesting point. What were they called, back in the days of commercial steam narrowboat operation. Possibilities might be:

-fireman

-engineer

-stoker

-second man

-grease monkey (this is not a serious suggestion).

Does anyone know?

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That is a very fair assessment - but I still maintain that looking out of 'one side' and seeing it clear does not make it a safe system - even if he then goes and checks the other side (after negotiating around the engine) there is a time delay which could be crucial.

Surely a simple "piece of string tied to a bell" would more than suffice as the steerer (hopefully) can see what is happening both sides of the boat.

The piece of string and a bell is the system I was referring to, and one that I thought was still in use on PRESIDENT. Whether they use it or whether this system has fallen into dis-repair I can not comment on as I have nothing to do with this organisation. The failing to me is the crew not working together, and if the engine man has to check before carrying out a requested action then he clearly has no trust in those he is working with - equally the steerer needs to trust the engine man otherwise he will constantly be in a position of damage limitation :captain:

edit = in the video the steerer of PRESIDENT clearly uses the bell 1.55 and the gear is changed, so they have a tried and tested system - so no excuses.

Edited by pete harrison
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, furnessvale said:

To be fair to Mr Heywood, I believe this vessel has had a problem IN THE PAST, where the engineman, who actually applies astern gear, would look out of the engineroom doors to see if astern was actually necessary, BEFORE applying the gear!

To be even fairer to Steve Haywood, that wasn't him steering although the thread title could be a little bit of a p*ss take of course.

Roger

• Greenie 2

16 minutes ago, Albion said:

To be even fairer to Steve Haywood, that wasn't him steering although the thread title could be a little bit of a p*ss take of course.

Roger

Thanks for that.  I wouldn't know Mr Heywood if he bumped into me......................whoops!

The L&LC steamers had all the main controls on the top of the engine room, so more easily accessible to the steerer. However, the 1884 Traffic Report to the L&LC Traffic Committee states with regard to steamer boatmen:

Varley, who is sent after the boats when they get into any difficulty, says 'It is the men getting drunk which breaks the steamers down as much as anything else'. As to the discipline at present exercised over the men, Varley says that we are short of men, and that the men who have been fined and dismissed have to be taken on again. The younger Clapham states that Mr White's rules for the management of the engines are not attended to by the men. Mr Wilkinson states that the boilers are never properly cleaned, that the present so-called 'cleaning' is a mere apology. That in consequence they are used up much before their time and the consumption of fuel largely increased.

When I steered the steam boat Adamant I had to use a bell push to signal forward, astern and to increase or decrease speed. It takes a bit of getting used to but I managed to get around the Braunston parade without hitting anything.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

When I steered the steam boat Adamant I had to use a bell push to signal forward, astern and to increase or decrease speed. It takes a bit of getting used to but I managed to get around the Braunston parade without hitting anything.

Revering to an earlier question, was there an official name for the bloke in the engine room?