Condensation.

Gerry underwood

Featured Posts

Condensation is formed when 'warm moisture laden air' hits a cold surface.

1) Open the windows and get ventilation with a flow of air.

2) Don't use any gas appliances as burning 1 litre of gas produce 1 litre of water vapour.

3) Increase the temperature as hot air holds more moisture than cold air

4) Cover the outside of the windows so they are not so cold.

We have a de-humidifier, assuming your electrical system is robust enough and you cruise sufficiently to recharge the batteries that could be another option for you.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Check the cabin bilge under the floor is dry. If it is an older boat without a bulkhead between the engine bilge and cabin bilge, then there may not be much you can do about this. Assuming this is a narrowboat of some sort.

Don't dry laundry on board.

How many and where are the low level and high level fixed vents on your boat? Do they meet the BSS requirements? They allow moist air to escape generated from breathing (assuming you ignore @stegra's advice), cooking etc as well as allowing fresh air in.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

I find it varies enormously with the weather and how sheltered or exposed my mooring is too. Eg damp misty days with no wind like yesterday are really bad whereas this morning was no condensation at all as slightly warmer outside and a breeze had picked up.

Am considering getting those stick on double glazing sheets however. Do they spoil the view out the windows/make it blurry?

5 hours ago, Dave123 said:

I find it varies enormously with the weather and how sheltered or exposed my mooring is too. Eg damp misty days with no wind like yesterday are really bad whereas this morning was no condensation at all as slightly warmer outside and a breeze had picked up.

Am considering getting those stick on double glazing sheets however. Do they spoil the view out the windows/make it blurry?

There is a bit of a knack to it, but once you get it on squarely and tightly you can barely notice it. I've used it for several years now and wouldn't be without it. I use this: ( 4m pack covers 4 "bus" windows with some to spare).

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=https://www.amazon.co.uk/tesa-UK-Thermocover-Insulating-Windows/dp/B0038JE7X6&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjTlIL63NPlAhVZSxUIHZHVBLsQFjACegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw3cPXvA8M0x7ZjdBB2jSFg9

27 minutes ago, rgreg said:

There is a bit of a knack to it, but once you get it on squarely and tightly you can barely notice it. I've used it for several years now and wouldn't be without it. I use this: ( 4m pack covers 4 "bus" windows with some to spare).

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=https://www.amazon.co.uk/tesa-UK-Thermocover-Insulating-Windows/dp/B0038JE7X6&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjTlIL63NPlAhVZSxUIHZHVBLsQFjACegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw3cPXvA8M0x7ZjdBB2jSFg9

smooth with warm hairdryer?  I've only got curling tongs.

• Love 1

36 minutes ago, rgreg said:

How do you cope with hopper windows?

10 minutes ago, DaveR said:

Buy a window vacuum. Number of times I gave seen a hair drier used to put the condensation back into the air . . . . .

I assume it is your partner who uses this hair dryer after showering, have you considered the alternatives eg an outdoor hot tub and a visit to the hairdresser?

Edited by LadyG

Multi fuel stove is great for drying out the air in the boat, we have no issues with condensation when the fire is in, we dry our washing next to the stove and still have a dry boat. We do get condensation on the windows and frames first thing in the morning and a little when cooking but that's about it.

• Happy 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Our problem, and it is quite extensive leading to staining of wood surrounds, is condensation on the metal frames (which conducts the cold from the outside to the inside). I don't see how the film systems will help.

The film attaches to double sided tape around the outer wood frame, enclosing the metal frame inside. This results in zero condensation on both glass and metal frames.

22 minutes ago, rgreg said:

The film attaches to double sided tape around the outer wood frame, enclosing the metal frame inside. This results in zero condensation on both glass and metal frames.

We also use this with great results every winter and we have all portholes. It's not at all blurry except if a spider builds its cobweb inside........

55 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

We also use this with great results every winter and we have all portholes. It's not at all blurry except if a spider builds its cobweb inside........

Ha, yes that has happened to me on the odd occasion, so I always keep spare film to replace if necessary.