Gardening

smiler

Featured Posts

Bit of a strange title for a boating forum, but here goes....

Counting down (3 years and 7 months) to retirement I'm looking forward to CCing on the UK inland waterways.

The only major thing I think I will miss is my allotment. It's been my hobby for a number of years which I enjoy very much, plus the benefit of eating fresh, organic fruits and veggies.

Question is, how much veg is it possible to grow on a NB while CCing without the inconvenience of moving pots etc at every low bridge.

I'm thinking a couple of cherry toms in the cratch and a tub of herbs may be about the limit?

Guerrila gardening along the towpath?Turning the cratch into a greenhouse?

What are the limits?

What are other people doing?

22 minutes ago, smiler said:

Bit of a strange title for a boating forum, but here goes....

Counting down (3 years and 7 months) to retirement I'm looking forward to CCing on the UK inland waterways.

The only major thing I think I will miss is my allotment. It's been my hobby for a number of years which I enjoy very much, plus the benefit of eating fresh, organic fruits and veggies.

Question is, how much veg is it possible to grow on a NB while CCing without the inconvenience of moving pots etc at every low bridge.

I'm thinking a couple of cherry toms in the cratch and a tub of herbs may be about the limit?

Guerrila gardening along the towpath?Turning the cratch into a greenhouse?

What are the limits?

What are other people doing?

Much depends on type and design of boat. For instance a narrowboat with a long tug deck could accomodate lots of stuff at the expense of interior space?

I moved on to my boat to avoid gardening. I have a few spider plants and cacti inside and sometimes a tub of something on the roof in the summer. Fountains mow the lawn for me. I suffer from yellow fingers, the opposite of green fingers. It's the tendency to kill most plants left in my care.

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Much depends on type and design of boat. For instance a narrowboat with a long tug deck could accomodate lots of stuff at the expense of interior space?

Hadn't thought of that ?

2 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

As an ex-nurseryman, plants are banned from my boat.  Except the moss growing on the front & back fenders, which I get rid of from time to time.  However, I suppose you could go down this route.

Flowerboat.jpg

That could work - until I wanted to move the boat

10 minutes ago, smiler said:

For many people its not a case of "when THEY WANT to move the boat" but when the authorities come by and say "MOVE YOUR BOAT, or lose it"

You do realise that there are mooring time limits between 2 hours and 2 weeks (depending on where you are) ?

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

For many people its not a case of "when THEY WANT to move the boat" but when the authorities come by and say "MOVE YOUR BOAT, or lose it"

You do realise that there are mooring time limits between 2 hours and 2 weeks (depending on where you are) ?

Of course - I did mention in the first post CCing and not CMing or bridge hopping

Maybe I should have used a "rolling eyes" smilie when I replied to Mac's post.

• Happy 1

22 minutes ago, smiler said:

Hadn't thought of that ?

I have seen much more luxuriantly foliated boats than that on the cut. I'm not sure their steerers have seen me, though.